Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple says iPhone 6/6 Plus sales topped 10 million in three days

Apple says iPhone 6/6 Plus sales topped 10 million in three days
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 22, 2014, 09:49 AM

During their launch weekend, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus achieved 10 million in unit sales, Apple reported on Monday. The number bests the company's previous iPhone record, some nine million achieved by the 5s and 5c last year. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are currently available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK, and the US. The company says it plans to reach another 20 countries on September 26, and hit a total of 115 by the end of the year.

Before the phones even shipped, Apple achieved four million in preorders within the first 24 hours last Friday. Demand is believed to be pent up from the combination of the 5s being an interim model, and long-term interest in seeing bigger iPhones, finally on par with Android and Windows Phone devices in terms of display sizes. The weekend sales are even more impressive considering that China, a major market for the iPhone, was not in the first wave of countries receiving the units as it was last year.

By the time of the four-inch iPhone 5, many Android phones were already at or over 4.5 inches. Many flagship Android devices -- such as the Moto X, Nexus 5, HTC One, and Galaxy S5 -- are at or over five inches. The iPhone 6 is a 4.7-inch device, while the 6 Plus measures 5.5 inches in screen size.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 23, 2014 at 03:34 AM. )

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2014, 10:01 AM

Ship time on my gold 64GB Plus is between 10/2 and 10/13.

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2014, 10:39 AM

Did the 5s/5c number of 9 million include China? I forget, but I think it did. 10 Million without China is pretty impressive.

airmanchairman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2014, 10:47 AM

The new iPhone still has a regulatory hurdle to clear in China, so I don't think pre-orders are allowed yet.

Indeed this is an impressive figure if it excludes Chinese pre-orders...

garmonbosia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2014, 11:14 AM

azrich... yes the 5 and 5s launched in China on Day one last year. The 6 and 6+ launched to a much smaller population. Crazy good launch.

sibeale1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2014, 02:17 PM

Only 10 million in 3 days? Apple is doomed! Just wait, we'll see these kinds of inane comments in the press.

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2014, 04:00 PM

No kidding, headlines like how accidental selfie sending will ruin your life? Or the BGR 8 things iOS 8 lacks, or sucks at so your world will end. Headlines everywhere are starting to look like the National Enquirer...

climacs
Senior User
Sep 22, 2014, 08:06 PM

oh my this is going to really upset the fandroids

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2014, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by climacs View Post
oh my this is going to really upset the fandroids
Why would it? They're the ones buying the 6 plus!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2014, 02:50 AM

When you include the fact that the iPhone had China and NZ on the list last time, the 10M sold this weekend is actually 2-3M more units than last time. Very impressive.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules