Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Microsoft adds unlimited storage to OneDrive for Office 365 accounts

Microsoft adds unlimited storage to OneDrive for Office 365 accounts
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 27, 2014, 02:58 PM

Microsoft is upping the ante in the cloud storage market, by offering some users unlimited OneDrive storage. Subscribers of Office 365 will soon see their allowance upgraded from their current 1TB allocation, itself raised from 20GB in June, with Home, Personal, and University customers set to receive the upgrades starting from today.

Domestic customers unwilling to wait for their allocation to increase can sign themselves onto a list to get the upgrade before others. OneDrive for Business customers will see the unlimited storage listed on the Office 365 Roadmap in the next few days, with First Release customers being upgraded in 2015 to the new level.

The new allocation to the subscription, which costs $7 per month, gives Microsoft a hefty lead in the battle for customers in the cloud storage market. Google last updated its cloud storage pricing in March, offering 1TB for $10 per month, but it does also offer a Google Drive for Work subscription for $10 per month which includes unlimited storage. In August, Dropbox changed its Pro account to offer a 1TB allocation for $10 per month, though like Google, it does offer a business subscription with all-you-can-eat storage.

OneDrive customers not needing the use of the Office suite nor unlimited data will still have more constrained subscription options available, including 100GB for $2 per month, and 200GB for $4 per month.

azrich
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2014, 03:02 PM

I would not want to be in the biz of online storage right now. Maybe not a race-to-the-bottom, but a race-to-devaluazation.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2014, 09:56 PM

Cloud storage to become a commodity.
But suddenly, the Office 365 subscription is looking attractive.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2014, 08:31 AM

@driven: indeed. I used to think Office 365 was a terrible deal. Not so sure about that anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules