Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple Watch: study finds high satisfaction as prices fall

Apple Watch: study finds high satisfaction as prices fall
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 9, 2015, 07:17 PM

As noted in our Daily Deals post, prices on the Apple Watch are now being routinely discounted by as much as $100 as part of what appears to be a concentrated strategy to make the device one of the hottest gifts this holiday season. On the heels of the discounting, which has made the wearable a popular choice for gifting, comes a new study that says 62 percent of current owners plan to buy another Apple Watch as a gift for someone else. The trend could push 2015 Apple Watch sales into the range of 16 million units, though firm figures are hard to come by.

Target and other retailers have previously offered up to $100 in gift cards or equivalent values, but retailer B&H is flat-out cutting the price by $50, and Best Buy is now offering up to $100 off the price of selected models with no strings attached. The poll, conducted by Ipsos and Reuters, found that six percent of the 16,000 people surveyed already owned an Apple Watch, and seven percent of the group planned to buy an Apple Watch as a present for others.

The results translate into possible sales of 16 million units by the end of the year, which lines up with recent reports that the Watch was selling around four million units per quarter in earlier quarters, and will likely do as many as eight million units in the holiday quarter as a result of the season, the recent discounts, new color options in the lower-end Sport range, and new accessories reaching the market -- including Apple's own Apple Watch stand. The survey was conducted between October 21 and December 4 -- but notably excluded teenagers from the survey group, which could end up being a significant gift and buying segment for the Watch.

Another factor that could weigh in on the bottom line as Apple finishes the calendar year and its first 2016 fiscal quarter is that the number of countries with Apple Watch availability has increased significantly in the past few months, alongside a significant print and TV commercial advertising campaign. In addition to another quarter of monster iPhone sales, Apple is also seeing renewed activity in the iPad sector as the latest models and price points for the devices attract holiday shoppers. Sales of the latest iPad and iPad mini saw a 40 percent increase in sales over Thanksgiving weekend compared to previous weeks.

While analysts have speculated that Apple has likely moved around eight million Apple Watches so far, exact figures are difficult to ascertain, as the company does not break out Apple Watch sales, and combines the revenue from it along with "other products" -- like the Apple TV and iPod -- in an effort to hide its impact (or lack thereof), though the category has grown significantly since Apple started including the Watch in the mix.

It does seem likely that Apple will hit early predictions that it could sell seven million to 12 million units in calendar 2015, and up to 16 million or more in its first full year. Among other factors, there are still many countries where the Apple Watch has not yet arrived, and there are rumors of still more new collaborations, new materials, and of course new bands and accessories to come.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2015, 10:27 AM

Just a couple of days ago I watched some episodes from the original BBC-TV edition of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe" and noticed that it makes fun of those so vain they think a digital watch is cooled. I recall that era too. Digital watches were silly. With their LED screens, you had to push a button to tell the time, making them more trouble than a traditional watch. The Apple Watch is much like that. It's more trouble as a traditional watch and less useful than an iPhone. Like those LED digital watches, and I owned one, it seems more bother than benefit.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2015, 01:06 PM

It's pretty clear you don't own an Apple Watch. Your comment literally couldn't be more wrong, and Douglas Adams would certainly be sporting one if he were alive today (I knew him quite well).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2015, 01:40 PM

@Inkling - you certainly don't need to push a button to get information out of the Apple watch.

I remember wanting to buy a Pulsar watch (the first with a digital display) around 1973, that and the HP SR-10 calculator (also with red LEDs) were available at a jewelry store, go figure. I thought they were both $150, which was a lot in those days and worked an entire summer as a caddy and saved up enough only to find that the Pulsar was actually $275. I wound up with the calculator, needless to say.

I would love to see a titanium case and band on the Apple watch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules