Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP DL DVD Burner

MBP DL DVD Burner
Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2007, 12:47 PM

Looking for a External DL burner since no one seems to be putting our 3rd party internal upgrades for this machine. Any one know of one that matches the MBP enclosure?

I got this HDD

and it looks amazing next to the computer, would like to keep the sexiness going with a DVD burner as well.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 07:55 PM

Compatible drives are available for the MBP. They have been in short supply though. Is yours broken? You'd have to do alot of burning for it to be worth it for a speed bump. Obviously desktop drives are faster.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 10:09 PM

USB2:

USB2+FW400:

USB2 is fine given the speeds of DVD writers, but some people run out of ports so FW400 can be convenient although it does cost an extra $6-13.

And of course the Pioneer DVR-112D in black or beige is still the best burner out there IMO.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 06:15 PM

I'll agree fully on the DVR-1XXs.
The following drives were shipped by Apple in MBPS:
UJ-857-C, GWA-4080M and UJ-857.
The UJs are Matshita/Matsushita/Panasonic. The GWAs are HL-DT-ST drives. There are probably others that will work, but if ou can find one of those it should be OK. powerbookmedic has them.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 06:24 PM

i just miss the ability to burn DL. I wasn't aware there had been ones released for an internal upgrade for the MacBook Pro Core Duo. I'll deff check em out!

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2007, 10:03 AM

ordered an 8x dl internal, thanks so much for the heads.

Forum Links
Forum Rules