Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can I add a Superdrive internally to my Quicksilver G4?

Can I add a Superdrive internally to my Quicksilver G4?
mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2002, 10:40 AM

I have a Quicksilver G4 800 with CDRW drive. Is it possible to add a Superdrive internally into the second optial drive bay (under the CDRW drive?)

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 07:37 PM

The quicksiver only has one cd bay, you would have to remove the existing cd drive and replace it with the superdrive. Only the new dual optical macs will take a second cd drive.

You could move the internal cd drive into a firewire case in order to keep both drives usable.
climber

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2002, 07:48 PM

thanks for the info. i suppose my other option would be to wait for the Superdrive to come out in an external configuration (which I hope will come out).

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2002, 11:43 PM

You already can buy an external superdrive, that is just a pioneer A104 drive in a firewire case (not made by apple of course). It just won't work with idvd. Apple has disabled this.

You could use DVD studio pro with an external DVDr but that program is kinda expensive.
climber

christ
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by mediahound:
I have a Quicksilver G4 800 with CDRW drive. Is it possible to add a Superdrive internally into the second optial drive bay (under the CDRW drive?)
If you are handy with a hacksaw you can do it. For instructions see here.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 01:12 AM

where's the best place to buy an internal superdrive? will it work (internally) with iDVD, etc.?

second question is where's the best place for a firewire case for the CDRW drive i'd take out?

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 02:08 AM

Other World Computing

This Is but one source. The superdrive is just a Pioneer A104, and yes if it is installed internally it will work with iDVD just fine.

The external case can be bought almost anywhere as well.
climber

Forum Links
Forum Rules