Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > A Solid Production Printer?

A Solid Production Printer?
zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 04:47 PM

Hello, we have a Xante CL30 as our main production printer, we are looking to upgrade and have been eyeing a couple models...

Xante Illumia "digital press" Series... Can take up to 24pt stock!

Xerox Phaser 7760GX - it does up to 100lb cover but that should be good enough for our needs.

Our main needs are SPEED, color accuracy and up to 11 x 17 output. This will be a proofing printer for a publishing company. Anyone deal with the two or have any further recommendations?

The Xerox is the cheaper printer but I am not sure what I would be losing in the long run.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 06:53 PM

I've had good/excellent Xante experience, bad Xerox experience. Not those models though.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 04:50 PM

Yes everyone I spoke with said if you go Xerox get a service contract.. I will either way, but that is very telling. Since my other Xante is running string I will stick with what has been working...

Thorzdad
Dec 12, 2006, 12:15 PM

FWIW, I used to work in an office that had two Phaser printers (Tektronix brand...before Xerox bought them out) and I loved them. I've never had office printers that gave such fast, accurate, quality prints. With Color-management set-up properly on my Mac, those things were mighty impressive.
I have no idea, though, if Xerox has buggered the quality.

As an aside, if you are doing a large amount of in-house output, you should always get a service contract, no matter what brand. Sure as anything, your workhorse is going to go belly-up right in the middle of printing materials for that crucial meeting.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
FWIW, I used to work in an office that had two Phaser printers (Tektronix brand...before Xerox bought them out) and I loved them. I've never had office printers that gave such fast, accurate, quality prints. With Color-management set-up properly on my Mac, those things were mighty impressive.
I have no idea, though, if Xerox has buggered the quality.

As an aside, if you are doing a large amount of in-house output, you should always get a service contract, no matter what brand. Sure as anything, your workhorse is going to go belly-up right in the middle of printing materials for that crucial meeting.
I can speak to this...

If anything Xerox improved the Tektronix machines. I have a Xerox Tektronix 7700DN I bought three years ago and it works like a charm.

One note: If you get this machine be certain to set uo the security properly.

billy_d_goat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 05:02 PM

I agree about Tektronix. I have had several clients purchase the them since becoming part of Xerox. None have reported any issues and have been quite please. I'd argue that Xerox make some of the best copiers and printers that I have run into in the last few years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules