Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5 permissions problems... Can

10.5 permissions problems... Can
zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 06:49 AM

I did a clean install of 10.5 when it came out, after the 10.5.2 update I noticed whenever I added an app to the applications folder it would copy it in there instead of move it.

Today, after the 10.5.4 update I tried to run Activity Monitor but it is telling me it can not start because of incorrect file permissions. I have tried repairing permissions many times but it does not fix it.

If I do an archive and install does that create a new Applications folder with the correct permissions again? I am thinking something got screwed up somewhere and I don't know enough in terminal to fix this mess.

Anyone have an idea?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2008, 09:20 PM

Are you saying that you download an app to, say, the Desktop, and when you drag it to the AppFolder it copies the thing rather than moving it, in other words you still have a copy on the Desktop? That is seriously weird in of itself, and needs examining.

But in the meantime, try Get Info on Activity Monitor, at the bottom where is says 'Details" click on the triangle and see what the permissions are, and whether the file is locked, the golden padlock. Change permissions to Read Write and if padlock closed click on it to open it. Also, if you did a straight update, go Apples support site and download the standalone combo updater, and apply, this often fixes such things, and if you did that already, reapply the combo another time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules