Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > McCain VP Choice.....

McCain VP Choice..... (Page 9)
TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I want YOU to quit being such a blind partisan. Not being glued to the DailyKos is a good start.

Of course they are hypocrites. THEY'RE POLITICIANS. It's people like YOU that are a part of the problem when try to pin accusations like this on the other guy. Your favorite party is JUST AS GUILTY of this kind of political double standard. I actually heard one of yours accuse McCain of "using" his experience in Vietnam for political points. Um…John Kerry anyone?

Then there is Obama harping on McCain being the same old thing we've had for 8 years, then the "candidate of change" chooses a notoriously partisan, 35 year career politician as a running mate?

Why is this kind of thing ok if you are a Democrat?
Yeah, politicians are hypocrites. I admit it. Democrats too.

This is a thread about Palin as VP, if you want to have a debate about Biden, go find a post by mine where I say he is an amazing candidate that fits perfectly into Obama's call for change. Cause you won't.

I am in here reading about Palin. I just want people to admit the Obama experience thing is garbage, and that if palin where a democratic candidate, you would be questioning her experience. Admit it.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post

I guess kids that receive "proper sex ed" don't get pregnant huh?
Studies show that fewer do, actually.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'm a liberal. I support Obama. The Democrats are just as hypocritcal about all sorts of things. The whole system is a hyper-partisan disaster. Will you admit that?
Right but this thread isn't about any of that. Its about Palin. I will admit things are ****ed up. Politicians lie all the time, democrats too.

Using the same standards they used 4 years, Palin isn't qualified to be VP. These aren't my standards, these are the standards set forth by republicans leaders. I am not the one saying that she isn't qualified, and that Obama is. I want republicans here to admit it instead of trying skirt around it by saying that all politicians are hypocrites.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2008, 04:15 PM

You know, we can target the politicians and their double standards all day, but really, in order to get themselves elected they need to play the game, and the game is controlled by an idiotic public and an idiotic media. Go to the CNN political blog and check out the Palin daughter pregnant thread, and you'll see that people there are actually claiming that they are not going to vote for McCain because of this.

When you make stupid decisions, you get what you deserve. I sick and tired of this arms race of stupid that we are caught up in. One of the reasons I like Obama is because of the intellect that he displays. To some this is a negative, but to me it is a big plus. Does it not sicken you that are daily deluge of "news" feels more like an idiot celebrity tabloid magazine than food for the brain?

Since I've been blunt often in my last several posts, I'll share some more besson3c blunt gems of wisdom with you guys: if you vote or don't vote for McCain/Palin because of Palin's daughter or Palin's husbands DWI in 1984, you are an IDIOT - plain and simple.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2008, 04:15 PM

I'm a liberal. I support Obama.
I really don't get how you can do that, since you're currently living in the aftermath of Obama mk1 (Blair).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
Yeah, politicians are hypocrites. I admit it. Democrats too.

This is a thread about Palin as VP, if you want to have a debate about Biden, go find a post by mine where I say he is an amazing candidate that fits perfectly into Obama's call for change. Cause you won't.

I am in here reading about Palin. I just want people to admit the Obama experience thing is garbage, and that if palin where a democratic candidate, you would be questioning her experience. Admit it.
This is a thread about Palin as a VP. if you want to debate Obama or hypocrisy then go start a new thread.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
One of the reasons I like Obama is because of the intellect that he displays.
When has he shown any intellect? I haven't seen any sign of HIS intellect.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 04:53 PM

I don't have any problem with Palin - well apart from the fact that she's a right-wing pro-life pro-drill anti-global-warming creationist kook. But I think what's more important is what the choice says about McCain. He picked her after meeting her once for a few minutes. He apparently looked into her soul, just like Bush looked into Putin's. It just shows that if McCain were to become president, he'll make important decisions in the same way Bush has, the consequences for the country be damned.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I really don't get how you can do that, since you're currently living in the aftermath of Obama mk1 (Blair).
Blair had much more in common with Bush than Obama. The destruction of civil liberties, the war mongering, the God as his co-pilot thing. Torrie != Repulican. Labor !=Democrat.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
And speaking of the value voters, can you believe this: Her 17-year old daughter is pregnant! But the McCain campaign was quick to say she'll marry the father. Oh yeah, way to get the feminists on your side...Good pick with Palin, John.

The interesting thing is that if this was Hilary Clinton as the Democratic nominee, her campaign would use the living hell out of this to wedge those value voters away from McCain. I wonder what Obama will do? He promised when squaring off against Clinton to run a different kind of race...let's see what's happened to that rhetoric.

I'll go ahead and say what I hope he doesn't. It really shows how effective this good old fashioned kind of morality that the Republicans promote is when push comes to shove. If this kid had been given responsible instruction about pregnancy and contraception, I'd wager McCain's campaign would not be dealing with this political liability. Teaching kids to stigmatize sex does nothing to discourage them from having it, but teaching them to view it responsibly like young adults can help save them from life-altering mistakes.
You mean the "values" of her not killing the baby like a lib would do? Remember, it was your man that said he didn't want his daughters to have to live the mistake of a baby...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
You mean the "values" of her not killing the baby like a lib would do?
Yes, that's exactly what all liberal women do. Alarm goes off at 8:00, quick cup of coffee, and it's off to the free clinic for an abortion. They only take weekends off to blaspheme.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2008, 05:02 PM

Blair had much more in common with Bush than Obama. The destruction of civil liberties, the war mongering, the God as his co-pilot thing. Torrie != Repulican. Labor !=Democrat.
And yet Obama's speech the other day was almost identical to the one Blair gave in 1997. If, on the long shot Obama gets in, you'll see. He's Blair mk3 (mk2 being that prat running Oz), through and through.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:07 PM

I'd like to congratulate Bristol on her second pregnancy.

Mark my words: Palin will be dumped from the ticket. She's a train-wreck.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:10 PM

Why should she be dumped? She's the typical American woman, living a typical American life, with a typical American's trial, troubles, ups, and downs. Isn't that who Obama is supposed to be working for? Isn't that who needs his help? Did you mean to say that you hope Obama steals her form McCain and replaced Biden with her, since she so fully represents the America he's "fighting for"?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2008, 05:12 PM

Yes, that's exactly what all liberal women do. Alarm goes off at 8:00, quick cup of coffee, and it's off to the free clinic for an abortion. They only take weekends off to blaspheme.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:13 PM

No one questioned Algore's parenting skills due to Algore III numerous DWI and drug arrests. III was arrested driving over 100mph. http://www.people.com/people/article...044628,00.html
45/47

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:14 PM

He's the one that brought up the "values" issue in regard to the pregnancy...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2008, 05:15 PM

Why should she be dumped? She's the typical American woman, living a typical American life, with a typical American's trial, troubles, ups, and downs. Isn't that who Obama is supposed to be working for? Isn't that who needs his help? Did you mean to say that you hope Obama steals her form McCain and replaced Biden with her, since she so fully represents the America he's "fighting for"?
He's just hoping she'll be dumped, RAIL. That way Obama's chances would be up to somewhere near 45% and he wouldn't be quite so embarrassingly pwned.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post

Palin told McCain, twice, her daughter is pregnant. My brother, a die hard Hillary-PUMA supporter, says this will backfire on the Dems. There are too many loose lips to pull something like that off, beside I thought she is Dan Quayle in a dress.
45/47

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post

No way lpk. Pulling back at this point would be absolutely disastrous. She's been vetted, she's good to go.

This'll hurt a bit, but I think she can overcome it. It's hardly getting any attention at all.
ebuddy

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
No one questioned Algore's parenting skills due to Algore III numerous DWI and drug arrests. III was arrested driving over 100mph. http://www.people.com/people/article...044628,00.html
Some people did but not nearly enough. And even though I voted for the guy I am still pissed at Tipper for her "family values" crusade in the 1980s with regards to music lyrics. What a waste of energy.

Although, as Obama said this afternoon, candidate's families should be off-limits, especially their children. So, if the Republicans agree to stop talking about Obama's Muslim father than the Democrats should agree to stop talking about Palin's teen-mother daughter.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 05:19 PM

Obama's chances of winning are 54.4% according to fivethirtyeight.com

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
No way lpk. Pulling back at this point would be absolutely disastrous. She's been vetted, she's good to go.

This'll hurt a bit, but I think she can overcome it. It's hardly getting any attention at all.
I still don't think it'll hurt, because the only people that care are the ones rooting for Obama.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 05:29 PM

LOLOL Oh it gets so much better!! I cant wait for when Saturday Night Live does the sketch on this!! Its comedy gold as someone posted earlier...between McCain dumping his wife and the pregnant minor daughter of the conservative right VP pick...ohh this is too good to be true...lolololol maybe there is a God after all!! You know this aint gonna be no 'Family Values' ticket.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 05:56 PM

Man, you people just totally miss everything, don't you? So she's a "bad person" now? She's unfit because of this?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
And yet Obama's speech the other day was almost identical to the one Blair gave in 1997. If, on the long shot Obama gets in, you'll see. He's Blair mk3 (mk2 being that prat running Oz), through and through.
A speech is a speech, but who knows how Obama will govern. Again, I say Bush and Blair were very similar, however the UK policital system allowed Blair to push his agenda much further than Bush could. Blair was not a classic liberal any more than Bush is a classic conservative. And McCain wants, for the most part, to carry on the Bush legacy. This race may be between two sides of Blair.

And for all the talk on this thread of Obama being a long shot- or this race even being close, if the polls can be believed (which I'm not saying they can), if the race were held today it would be Obama in a landslide. National polls are interesting but ultimately meaningless. The state-by-state polls have Obama WAY up in electoral votes- the only ones that matter.
( Last edited by Paco500; Sep 1, 2008 at 06:18 PM. )

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 06:04 PM

Man, you people just totally miss everything, don't you? So she's a "bad person" now? She's unfit because of this?
It doesn't say much about her fitness to lead. It says more about McCain's judgement in selecting her. Teenage girls get knocked up, it doesn't mean they have bad parents. However, it's not the kind of story we should be hearing about the family of the VP candidate- no matter if they are preaching family values or not.

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It just shows that if McCain were to become president, he'll make important decisions in the same way Bush has, the consequences for the country be damned.
This is the biggest point. McCain is perfectly willing to take the chance that this lady becomes president. She isn't qualified, but because of his political calculus he doesn't care.

Originally Posted by RAILhead
She's the typical American woman, living a typical American life, with a typical American's trial, troubles, ups, and downs.
I don't think typical American women are bad mothers. If Palin cared about her child with Down's syndrome, she'd know that early intervention is very important for progress through the whole life, and she would take care of him now instead of going off campaigning. This pregnancy incident shows again the mistake of calling running a police department of 25 people "executive experience" fit to make you a president. She can't even take care of her own family. I wish them the best, though, and I hope this media coverage doesn't drive them batty.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 06:07 PM

LOL..you just dont get it!! no one is saying shes bad. Its just amazing how the right always runs on 'Family Values' 'Abstinence' , 'Faithful Marriages'...its just the Hypocrisy is so rampant its funny!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
This is the biggest point. McCain is perfectly willing to take the chance that this lady becomes president. She isn't qualified, but because of his political calculus he doesn't care.

I don't think typical American women are bad mothers. If Palin cared about her child with Down's syndrome, she'd know that early intervention is very important for progress through the whole life, and she would take care of him now instead of going off campaigning. This pregnancy incident shows again the mistake of calling running a police department of 25 people "executive experience" fit to make you a president. She can't even take care of her own family. I wish them the best, though, and I hope this media coverage doesn't drive them batty.
Holy crap, are you really going to jump on the Leftie bandwagon that she's going to be too busy as VP to properly take care of her family? She can't take care of her family? WHAT?!?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
LOL..you just dont get it!! no one is saying shes bad. Its just amazing how the right always runs on 'Family Values' 'Abstinence' , 'Faithful Marriages'...its just the Hypocrisy is so rampant its funny!
Wow, you're immature. Trying to live a life to certain standards and failing at it is not hypocrisy, it's poor choices -- poor choices that your man would take care of by having his grandchildren murdered since they'd be "punishment."

Life is Life, and People are People -- and sometimes people fail when they really do try and live to certain morals, etc. Only an asshat finds humor in that, yet all of us horrible, capitalist, compassionate conservatives seem to be able to accept this while the Lefties are doing circle-jerks.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 06:22 PM

I don't think she's unfit because of "this." Family matters like this properly off-limits, and Obama would be wise not to discuss it. The high road and all that.

I think it's a credit to this family that they live by their beliefs. Many conservatives would have gone for a secret abortion but maintained a public stance of "pro-life." The Palins have faced unwanted pregnancies three times, and they always rejected the abortion option. (I believe the Palin marriage itself was caused by an unplanned pregnancy too). If nothing else, these people have admirable personal integrity.

What makes this woman a track-wreck is how much spin-control is required to maintain her reputation. Her young daughter is pregnant and her youngest child has Down's, and still this woman pursues a national political career? She gets on a plane to Alaska after her water broke? She goes back to work 3 days after giving birth to a special-needs child? She just has "reckless ambition" tattooed across her forehead.

Besides, there are more personal surprises to come. I still expect a tv "fireside chat" where she reveals who Trig's real mom is.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 06:25 PM

I still see no reckless ambition. It's not like she's a single mother with no one to help rear a child. It may not be perfect or the best thing in the world for her to do -- but I don't think anyone can emphatically deem her behavior negligent with the information we have so far.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 06:33 PM

I still see no reckless ambition. It's not like she's a single mother with no one to help rear a child. It may not be perfect or the best thing in the world for her to do -- but I don't think anyone can emphatically deem her behavior negligent with the information we have so far.
Her mother fought against sex ed in schools and is a proponent of abstinence. How is she (Palin) going to help run a country if she can't even control her minor daughter.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 06:56 PM

I think what has got the left's panties in a collective wad is what Camille Paglia said. They are afraid ths woman is going to be the firat woman POTUS.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 06:59 PM

The politization of a baby with downs by both sides is offensive. Lots of mothers with special needs children have to get right back to work, and without the support structure I’m sure she has. This is not a big deal. By the same token, I have two staunchly pro-choice friends with downs children- both of whom knew the diagnosis in time to terminate. Deciding to go through with the birth of a special needs child does not make you a saint or super pro-life crusader- it makes you a parent. This is child that is being treated like a political football and it’s shameful.

Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I think what has got the left's panties in a collective wad is what Camille Paglia said. They are afraid ths woman is going to be the firat woman POTUS.
Yup... lord knows we are scared to death at the idea of a woman being pres.

What we're scared of is having a completely unknown inexperienced Alaskan governor in the White House...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post

What we're scared of is having a completely unknown inexperienced Alaskan governor in the White House...
And as Hillary said "Obama has a speech he gave at the "04 convention" At leat she has executive experience. Alaska has just as many residence as, gasp, Delaware!

BTW it was no secret her daughter is pregnant
http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...rss-topstories
45/47

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:13 PM

The politization of a baby with downs by both sides is offensive. Lots of mothers with special needs children have to get right back to work, and without the support structure I’m sure she has. This is not a big deal. By the same token, I have two staunchly pro-choice friends with downs children- both of whom knew the diagnosis in time to terminate. Deciding to go through with the birth of a special needs child does not make you a saint or super pro-life crusader- it makes you a parent. This is child that is being treated like a political football and it’s shameful.
Only the Lefties are treating the baby like a football.

Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 08:17 PM

And, being a "rightie," opposed to "lefties," you are qualified to say that.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:17 PM

Only the Lefties are treating the baby like a football.
How so? It's the McCain campaign and the Republicans and Palin herself that have been touting the fact that she knowingly gave birth to a down syndrome baby to prove her pro-life bona fides. Where have the Democrats or the Obama campaign said anything at all about it?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:21 PM

I'm referring to people (Lefties) saying Palin don not give birth to the baby.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
Using the same standards they used 4 years, Palin isn't qualified to be VP. These aren't my standards, these are the standards set forth by republicans leaders. I am not the one saying that she isn't qualified, and that Obama is. I want republicans here to admit it instead of trying skirt around it by saying that all politicians are hypocrites.
The problem is that no one has ever suggested that Obama would not be qualified for VP. There are most definitely different standards for the two positions, or if the #2 would make the perfect #1, they would have had the parties nomination in the first place. We are comparing the standard Obama has been held to in regards to experience in comparison to that of the #2 position. We are comparing apples to oranges here. You don't need a lot of foreign policy experience to start out breaking ties in the Senate. 4 of the last 5 Presidents had ZERO foriegn policy experience and Palin has more real accomplishments as #2 candidate than Obama has as #1 - the guy in charge.

Besides, who nominated Karl Rove as official spokesman for the RNC? I think it would have been stupid for Obama to have picked someone like Palin as well. He needed someone with the experience he lacked. McCain doesn't have the same requirements.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
He picked her after meeting her once for a few minutes.
He met her more than once on top of talking to her at length on numerous occasions.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
I guess if it's between picking an unqualified #1 and a qualified #1 with an unqualified #2, you're probably a lot safer with the latter. That spells bad news for Obama.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post

Chances are you won't have to have that unless you vote for her in 8 years. On the other hand, you are 100% guaranteed to have an inexperience celebrity with few real accomplishments in the White House if you vote for Obama. One is a gamble, the other is a sure thing. The sure thing is what is most scary.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 08:38 PM

Fear is all this dying party has left.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
He met her more than once on top of talking to her at length on numerous occasions.
Not true.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2008, 08:50 PM

She was picked for 1 reason and now it is backfiring, they are stuck with her tho or else they would surely lose. Maybe in a few months or once the secede nonsense starts to come out... So much for "America First" HAHAHA

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I guess if it's between picking an unqualified #1 and a qualified #1 with an unqualified #2, you're probably a lot safer with the latter. That spells bad news for Obama.
Obama is very qualified, but it sounds like we both agree that Palin is not. Interesting. So why did McCain choose her, do you think? If he chose someone unqualified to be president, then I think he is also unqualified.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules