Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Back to the Mac: a fresh start after a long time apart

Back to the Mac: a fresh start after a long time apart
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 11, 2015, 09:30 PM

Last week, staff writer and long-time Windows user Malcolm Owen returned to Mac following a five-year absence. Back to the Mac is a series of posts where he charts his progress in introducing Apple to his working environment once again. In this first installment, Malcolm talks about why he is making the change, and his Mac acquisition.

Hello, I am Malcolm, and I have an admission to make: Up until recently, I was not a Mac user. That recently changed, but before I go into that, I have some explaining to do.

Yes, I know that there is a deep sense of irony in working for two sites, one of which focused on Apple, without owning any Apple products at all -- neither Mac nor iOS -- but that has not been a problem at all. Predominantly, I work on the Electronista side, where non-Apple hardware and software dominate, but sometimes the news stretches into MacNN territory. While reporting on the affairs of Apple and connected products can easily be accomplished without owning any of said items, it does limit my reporting ability to that of an outsider looking in, rather than a user who has a deeper understanding of the entire ecosystem.

Getting an iPad, an iPhone, or a Mac would certainly aid with the understanding of the Apple ecosystem, though it also helps with something one of my predecessors said. A while ago, Jon Fingas (now of Engadget) talked about how he wanted to be the "technology equivalent of Switzerland," using a variety of ecosystems instead of sticking to just one -- and that's something I've tried to emulate. While I have a self-built gaming PC running Windows, a Dell notebook also on Windows, an Android smartphone, and a Nexus 7 (that currently serves as the most expensive alarm clock I have ever owned since it was updated to Android Lollipop), Apple products were noticeably absent.

This lack of OS X and iOS isn't from any animosity towards the company. Far from it: for a five-year period from July 2006, I used a MacBook. My archived order receipt from the Apple Store shows it had a 13.3-inch display, an Intel Core Duo clocked at 1.83GHz, 1GB of RAM, and a gargantuan 60GB hard disk. I loved the MacBook throughout my ownership of it, using it as my primary music device and as a secondary Internet device to look things up while I played World of Warcraft. When it eventually died, I didn't rush out and buy a replacement, as I simply couldn't afford such an extravagance. I still wanted to get back on the Mac saddle, but just failed to find the right combination of a gap in my setup, and available funds.

Receipt for my first MacBook, 2006
Receipt for my first MacBook, 2006

Recently, after discussions with some family members, it was agreed that I should return to using Apple products in some way, in order to help with my job. I would finally be getting a Mac again: cue deliberations over what would be the ideal Mac to get.

The Mac Pro was out of the question immediately, as I doubt it would be used to its fullest capacity. While a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro would bring me closer to the setup I had before, I would not only be spending more money than other options, but also would be replacing a (Windows) notebook that could have a few more years left in it, so that wasn't advisable. Get an iMac? I already roll with a two-screen desktop, and though I've tried three screens before, it was more distracting than helpful.

The only real choice left was the Mac mini, which -- thanks to its overall cost compared to the other Mac options, and its simple potential integration into my computing setup -- was ideal. I could easily switch back to the gaming PC by changing the source on the monitors, and using another keyboard and mouse. Separating out my work to the Mac, and keeping entertainment items on the PC would likely also help with work in the long run.

With that settled, the next question was: which Mac mini? The base 1.4GHz model was attractive on price alone, but this would be a system I would have to live with for years without being able to upgrade its internals, so that was struck out. The middle 2.6GHz option was faster, had double the RAM and hard drive space, and though it's a bit of a jump up in price from the bottom, the benefits gained from the lowest to the middle at that cost outweighed the benefits between the middle tier and the highest. Sure, the Fusion Drive was a useful addition from a performance standpoint, but that -- combined with the extra 200MHz processing power -- just wasn't that justifiable for someone on a budget.

One cold morning before work, the journey to pick up a Mac mini began. Rather than go to a major retailer, I went to an Apple reseller, since the trip to an actual Apple store would involve a four-hour, 170-mile round trip to the Welsh capital. Why not order it online, you may ask? The answer: I work from home, so I'll take any excuse to leave the house.

The store in question, Stormfront, is best described as minimalist. Resembling an art gallery more than a retailer, it follows the Apple Store trend of having a glass front, products on tables ready to try out, and staff wearing blue t-shirts. Certainly a different experience to one you'd expect to receive when walking into Currys PC World.

While kids were playing around with the iPads on a central pair of tables, a staff member politely asked if we needed help, before quickly dashing behind the counter area, and returning with a smaller-than-expected box containing the Mac mini. Since I also really needed to get another keyboard, as my existing one was on its last legs, the Apple Keyboard was acquired at the same time, while an iWires Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter was also added for the second monitor.

The purchase
The purchase

After paying for the technology haul and retreating through the freezing wind to the car, I was dropped back at base in time to start work. Unfortunately, I had to wait a few hours before I had the chance to set up and reacquaint myself with Mac, a prospect that made the wait feel even longer.

Next time: Unboxing, the initial setup, and the reintroduction to OS X.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM. )

delta45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2015, 06:23 AM

Good choice.

cacruden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2015, 09:06 AM

I moved onto the Mac in 2007 and 2008. The first mac that I purchased was a powerful laptop - which I had decided to buy since the OS is UNIX - and had all sorts of trouble running linux on the latest greatest hardware. Shortly afterwards I went with the Mac Pro 2008 (Early) for home since I wanted at least 4 monitors hooked up to it (I find more monitors the better). Up until that point I don't think I ever had a computer last 3 years as my primary computer - all different sort of issues. I am still using my Mac Pro 2008, and it still has more power than I need 7 years later. I could easily use it for another 3 years before buying a new one. I don't have the laptop anymore (severe abuse), but I do have a bunch of special backup mac minis from 2008 that I bought discounted refurbished..... (one I use for VPN to work since it locks down the networking, one I use to use as a source control server (separate server since I want redundancy) - now is only used for Skype [Skype for some reason has a block on my Mac Pro - which happened after my account was hacked and I cannot seem to get them to understand that a fresh operating install with a fresh skype install - does not have to be reinstalled due to corruption - it became a Customer Service loop in their support book].

I don't think I could ever consider going back to Windows as my main machine (the command line would drive me nuts -- even if the operating system was ok).

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2015, 09:52 AM

Enjoyed your decision process, one quite similar to that I went through when I got my Mac mini for my book layout and publishing business. Unfortunately, you're on the wrong side of the Mac mini timeline. Apple's marvelous engineers had created a superb machine in the Mac mini—versatile, powerful, upgradable and easily fixed. Unfortunately, with the most recent model, the 'Apple customers are morons' marketing gang moved in and trashed the product. It's now little more than an overpriced toy with nasty "Oh you actually want a useful amount of RAM? Well that will really cost you." Really cost you meaning a 400% markup over market prices. I only wish I lived in Cupertino. I'd have an "I brake for rattlesnakes but not Apple Marketing" sticker on my car. That's just how great my contempt for that division is. Tacky, tasteless, greedy and indifferent to what life is like for those who don't make fat six-figure salaries.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2015, 10:03 AM

...there is one opinion on the inflexibility of ram here, including the limit on rMBP of 16GB...

http://macperformanceguide.com/mbpRetina2012-speed-memory-bandwidth.html

"...maybe it is worth the soldered on memory, to get the performance they are reporting..."

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2015, 01:16 PM

I wish they made a machine where everything wasn't soldered on the board...hackintosh was nice at a time but it's increasingly being cracked down on, no reliable iMessage solution and no iTunes HD Videos

Forum Links
Forum Rules