Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How much do you spend on your clothes?

View Poll Results: My monthly clothes budget is...
Poll Options:
I spend ~£50 ($100) a month 16 votes (22.86%)
I spend ~£100 ($200) a month 1 votes (1.43%)
I spend ~£200 ($400) a month 2 votes (2.86%)
I spend ~£400 ($800) a month 3 votes (4.29%)
I spend over £500 ($1000) a month 2 votes (2.86%)
I buy the cheapest clothes, when i need to. 41 votes (58.57%)
My parents/spouse buys my clothes. 5 votes (7.14%)
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll
How much do you spend on your clothes? (Page 2)
Nivag
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 01:14 PM

i buy stuff when i need it or see something good. Though generally only when i go to America cause it's loads cheaper

but i bought these last week

and then realised i needed a new pair of jeans to go with them. i can be such a tart sometimes

total cost £100

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 02:18 PM

I spend about $200-$300 a year.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 06:10 PM

i spend about $800 a year on clothes...do shoes count?

if so..make that about $1100.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 06:48 PM

I usually buy new clothes when I've worn out the old ones. Sometimes I'll see something decent on the clearance rack and I'll splurge.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

I'll go out about once a year, and pick up anything that I need in general, boxers, new jeans, socks, etc. On that I'll spend only about $300. T-Shirts I get as they happen, at a concert, at some event, something I see when I'm in another town, and rarely do I pay more than $30 a shirt.

Dress cloths cost a lot more, but I've only gone out to buy those on 2 or 3 runs, I hate shopping for clothing, so I delay going out to buy them as much as I can, then try to get everything I'll need for awhile.
yep.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 07:53 PM

I spend around $3000 on casual clothes. Which I think is more than reasonable once you factor in shoes, jackets, things you need for special occasions, replacing worn items, and other misc. accessories. But then there's clothes for work.

I understand not wanting to spend exorbitant amounts of money on clothes when you are a student but once you are working you can't get away with looking like a chump. Cheap clothes look cheap. Looking like you just walked off the JC Penny's catalog will leave a negative impression on clients, supervisors, and coworkers whether you like it or not. In any competitive industry your boss will not only want you to be a good performer but also portray a positive image of the company in front of others. Walmart clothes don't help you there. You could be a great employee but people will hesitate to parade you in front of important clients if you are wearing a worn out shoes and an ill fitting suit you picked up for sixty bucks.

For a group of people who tout the style and quality of their computers I find it odd more people don't share a similar philosophy about their personal appearance and how they present themselves at someplace as important as their jobs. Work clothes should easily be 2 to 3 times what you spend for your street clothes.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 08:03 PM

^^ captain, i went through that phase about 10 years ago...ties, sport jackets etc

thank god i am done with that...now i wear what i like and i only spend MAYBE $200 /year

i was surprised that 57% of you do the same...bros!

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 09:44 PM

i dont know how you guys get such mileage out of your clothing. i get MAYBE a year out of most quality pairs of jeans i buy. i do put them through their paces and i am very active, but i accept this as normal so i pony up and replace them when the knees split. same goes for shoes. i generally dont thrash the outsides, but the insides get pretty beat up so i buy shoes every few months.

its also not good to walk on really old shoes unless you replace the insoles.
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 09:51 PM

Since I buy clothes maybe once a year I had to select the cheapest clothes when I need to. I generally don't buy the cheapest but I do only go once a year.
Michael

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 01:35 AM

I only buy when I need to both regular price or on sale.
( Last edited by Kenneth; Feb 6, 2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: typo)

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
i dont know how you guys get such mileage out of your clothing. i get MAYBE a year out of most quality pairs of jeans i buy. i do put them through their paces and i am very active, but i accept this as normal so i pony up and replace them when the knees split. same goes for shoes. i generally dont thrash the outsides, but the insides get pretty beat up so i buy shoes every few months.
Sounds like you're spending a lot of time on your knees.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I spend around $3000 on casual clothes. Which I think is more than reasonable once you factor in shoes, jackets, things you need for special occasions, replacing worn items, and other misc. accessories. But then there's clothes for work.

I understand not wanting to spend exorbitant amounts of money on clothes when you are a student but once you are working you can't get away with looking like a chump. Cheap clothes look cheap. Looking like you just walked off the JC Penny's catalog will leave a negative impression on clients, supervisors, and coworkers whether you like it or not. In any competitive industry your boss will not only want you to be a good performer but also portray a positive image of the company in front of others. Walmart clothes don't help you there. You could be a great employee but people will hesitate to parade you in front of important clients if you are wearing a worn out shoes and an ill fitting suit you picked up for sixty bucks.

For a group of people who tout the style and quality of their computers I find it odd more people don't share a similar philosophy about their personal appearance and how they present themselves at someplace as important as their jobs. Work clothes should easily be 2 to 3 times what you spend for your street clothes.
If you show up to where I work with a tie (or suit / jacket), at lunch when you are introduced it will be made quite clear that you are overdressed. If there are clients coming in / meetings that require better dress, we'll all know. I like jeans / tshirts. That said, when I need to, I can dress up, and look just fine.

And I haven't bought a new Mac since 1999
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 02:02 AM

On average I spend about $100 every three or four months, so I selected cheapest. I don't necessarily shop purely based on price, but I don't exactly spend a lot when I do go shopping. Plus I just don't have that much clothes. Then again, I'm just a student right now, so we'll see how things change once I get out into the working world.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2007, 05:28 AM

What the hell do you do to your poor clothes?

I have lots of jeans that I bought eight or nine years ago—some of them are starting to deteriorate slowly, but most of them are fine. I usually wear my shoes until they start feeling uncomfortable or get holes, which normally means about three to four years (though less for those fabric summer shoes—they usually last just one season).

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
^^ captain, i went through that phase about 10 years ago...ties, sport jackets etc

thank god i am done with that...now i wear what i like
That is not a phase it is a career choice. If you left the corporate world then THAT was a phase for you. Most offices are not dress casual much less jeans optional.
If you decide not to pursue a job in a professional environment because you don't like ties then that is fine. But you'd have concerns if your kid's teacher showed up wearing a tube top to school and you certainly wouldn't want your attorney to stand before a judge in a tee shirt because they wear what they like.

If you wear what you want to work then its because you decided to leave the professional world or never enter it. There's a level of decorum and what's appropriate in all workplaces and with maybe the exception of jobs like professional athletes and actors there seems to be a correlation between the level of clothing formality that is called for and income.

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
What the hell do you do to your poor clothes?

I have lots of jeans that I bought eight or nine years ago—some of them are starting to deteriorate slowly, but most of them are fine.
Then you must wear really tight jeans. Boot cut jeans will hang over shoes and fray from friction against the ground or the heel of a person's shoe. Contact against the body while walking in loose fitting jeans wears the area around the knee and seat. So if you are into Wranglers they'll last you a long time but they look horrible

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Most offices are not dress casual much less jeans optional.
I agree on the jeans optional. But would disagree on the most offices. Here in Miami there are MANY offices where you wouldn't want to even think about a suit 90% of the days. Everyone working in a lab wears what they want and these are high-six figure salaries wearing stuff from the Gap. I have seen the same in many of the more... Liberal Cities I have taught. Perhaps business casual is the proper term.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 10:34 AM

Well, I don't buy regularly, but I suspect I'm not dropping $1200 a year, so < that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules