Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Folding: Stats change

Folding: Stats change
zombie67
Senior User
Mar 26, 2007, 08:56 PM

http://forum.folding-community.org/v...=174973#174973

"1) We've updated how the daily_*_summary.txt files get updated and we can now update them more frequently than before the PS3 launch (we are now updating them every 3 hours instead of 6). note that our bandwidth scripts check IPs which download these and other files too often, so to avoid getting caught by that script, keep the downloads of each of these files to under 10 per day. Since there are only 24/3 = 8 updates per day, this should hopefully not be a problem."

How frequently do our team stats get updated?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 26, 2007, 10:17 PM

Our fold stats update every 30 minutes for the server status, and every hour for team data. However, we don't use the files you mention. We use the quick-text team files. And we only pull them for specific teams, not for all teams.

Team MacNN

I seem to recall that we also abort the stats pull if there is no update (ie - the generated time at the top of the page hasn't changed). However, I'd better dig through our code tonight to make sure.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 04:03 AM

Something's broken. I'm now missing 8k total points here, vs. the F@H page. It's been that way for several hours now. Of course the problem may be on their end, but it could be us getting banned because we query to many times/day. Someone else asked if the "check for change" query counts as a download. No answer yet.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 27, 2007, 12:26 PM

Got distracted last night and didn't poke into it. For the moment, I've taken the simpler way out and cut us back to 8 updates per day.

This is a pity because the 'files' we query look more like DB-driven page generation. In other words, immediately updated. And since we pull a few pages frequently, the total bandwidth isn't much. I really need to look further into this, or jump into their discussion.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 02:21 PM

Other sites are having the same problems. Read about it here:

Folding-community.org :: View topic - EOC

FWIW, even with only 8 per day, our stats still aren't getting updated. Maybe we are on a banned list, and need to be manually removed by F@H admins?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 27, 2007, 02:31 PM

I only made the change right before making the last post. Give it a few more hours, see if the block times out.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 27, 2007, 11:13 PM

Still no idea if we are blocked or not, because a different problem has been identified. Stanford blocks stats for everyone between approx the 10 and 20 minute mark of each hour, while stats scripts do updates. Our crontab pulls folding data at the 20 minute mark. There's also the little matter that the server's clock was inaccurate by one minute, though I don't know now which way.

I've changed the crontab by half an hour - we now pull starting 50 minutes after the hour.
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 27, 2007 at 11:22 PM. )

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 28, 2007, 01:59 PM

EOC, which has been mirroring our own stat problems, has now solved the problem somehow.

zombie67 - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

I see ours still are not updating. It may be worth sending someone at the project an email to find out the solution.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 01:52 AM

Looks like it's working again!

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2007, 08:35 AM

Thank you!
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

macdude22
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2007, 09:29 AM

I have a stats related question, I recently jumped into Folding(well I did it a lil way back in 2001) and on my macnn stats page it is listing me twice. Is there a reason for this, something I did perhaps or that I can correct? I'm running folding on 3 machines all with user macdude22 and team 16.

Team MacNN : Fold : Stats : Personal (Basic)
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

reader50
Administrator
Mar 29, 2007, 12:46 PM

macdude22, we list you twice because Stanford lists you twice. It could be a glitch on their part, or it could be that you registered with Stanford twice and have machines returning units on both accounts.

example:

macdude22 @ abcd.com
macdude22 @ wxyz.com

Stanford strips the domain info, leaving just the account name displayed. Both of the above will be listed by them as "macdude22". Check the client.cfg file in each folding install, see if the user info is identical.

To all, our Folding pages seem to be stuck again since last night. I really do need to put more time on that, it's just that I've been working long days since around the time this came up. I'll poke into it further.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2007, 01:14 PM

Hmmm I don't recall ever registering anything at all, rather just tossing in a user name and team number and letting it go. I'm at work right now so I can't check all the machines but I will when I get home, is their something specific I should be looking for?

***DOH***

It just clicked as I was typing this, I did not put in an email address, just macdude22, likely thats causing the problem. I'll change everything to an email address tonight methinks.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

reader50
Administrator
Mar 29, 2007, 01:33 PM

Don't just add email addresses. Afterwards, we might have a lot more macdudes.

Check the config files for differences between machines. The machineid parameter is the only one that is supposed to be different between machines.

Remember, it could be a transient glitch on their part. Thinking about it, they might allow usernames without emails. The behavior I described above is when an email address is present, and why some usernames will appear identical because of it.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 01:26 PM

This page Team MacNN : Fold : Basic Ranks
is 5+ days old. Thanks to have a look.
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 01:46 PM

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Don't just add email addresses. Afterwards, we might have a lot more macdudes.

Check the config files for differences between machines. The machineid parameter is the only one that is supposed to be different between machines.

Remember, it could be a transient glitch on their part. Thinking about it, they might allow usernames without emails. The behavior I described above is when an email address is present, and why some usernames will appear identical because of it.
You don't need an email, but it'll strip everything after and including the @. So if you do user@domain for one, and user for another, it'll show as two accounts.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 11:05 PM

While we're on F@H stats....

How is "Rate" calculated? I (sorta) understand RAC. But I am guessing Rate is different since this isn't BOINC.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 3, 2007, 12:52 AM

RAC averages daily crunch rate across about a month. Probably 30 days. We use a 7-day average to calculate our Rate. On most projects, our weekly average works better. On projects like Climate (before they started the trickle credit), a week doesn't work so well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules