Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Bluetooth Apple Mice at MacWorld!

New Bluetooth Apple Mice at MacWorld!
eddanger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 06:47 PM

It came to me in a vision this morning over my cup of strong coffee. Apple is going to announce a wireless bluetooth mouse at MacWorld (... with a built in calendar and address book. ). This mouse is going to have not just 1 button but 2 buttons, not to mention a scrollwheel.

I recently bought a Logitech wireless mouse, it is great but I am sure apple could do a way better job in terms of looks!

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by eddanger:
Apple is going to announce a wireless bluetooth mouse at MacWorld (... with a built in calendar and address book. ). This mouse is going to have not just 1 button but 2 buttons, not to mention a scrollwheel.
This is a joke, right? Apple won't make a two-button mouse.

Karim
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 11:46 PM

Vandalay Industries and Kramerica already make these.

wingdo
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Karim:

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 01:05 AM

If i want a wireless mouse, I will get the Kensington.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Putta
Jan 5, 2003, 06:04 AM

Actually, this is kind of a neat idea in a different way...

Why not make the bluetooth adapter built into the mouse so you don't have to have the silly adapter plugged in instead?

Of course, it doesn't solve the powerbook issue....

supernature
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2003, 06:08 AM

This would totally be cool, and hopefully Apple will announce this at MWSF. Of course, not only a bluetooth mouse, but a bluetooth keyboard as well.

Only downside to that is the keyboard was a good place to plug in a USB device, like a digital camera. Perhaps if Apple decides to make bluetooth keyboards, they'll start putting USB ports in more easily accessible parts of the computer. Perhaps a covered USB port in the front. They could eliminate the USB ports from the back of the monitors. I think those ports are convenient but utterly tasteless if you actually use them. Perhaps move the USB ports on their monitors to the front bottom.

Of course what would be awesome is to come out with Bluetooth enabled digital cameras.

Actually, what would make better sense is to have a wireless keyboard with a track pad.

yaro
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2003, 02:15 PM

Better yet: a bluetooth headphone. I will flip over that.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Jan 6, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by yaro:
Better yet: a bluetooth headphone. I will flip over that.
I dunno about headphones that need batteries. I would rather have a cord.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2003, 03:31 PM

I already have a wireless mouse with 2 buttons and a scrollwheel (and keyboard). It's a Microsoft, and it has excellent OS X.2 drivers. RF based.

It's much less expensive than Microsoft's BlueTooth setup, and apparently it's much less buggy. (It's moot though, since the Msoft BlueTooth setup has no OS X.2 drivers.)

Why not make the bluetooth adapter built into the mouse so you don't have to have the silly adapter plugged in instead?

Do you mean having a corded mouse with a built-in BlueTooth adapter for other BlueTooth devices?

Putta
Jan 6, 2003, 08:04 PM

Yeah, the existing bluetooth adapter built into a corded mouse. This is only because I have no use for a cordless mouse.

You may be interested: MacUser UK recently reported that a wireless USB was being developed which, while not capable of the same bandwidth of bluetooth, would apparently be ideal for mice and joysticks as it was much faster than bluetooth. I don't play any games but apparently bluetooth wouldn't be fast enough??

Not technically minded, just the messenger so don't shoot me for opening my mouth!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2003, 12:57 AM

what would happen if two Bluetooth wireless mice got together?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

sideus
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 01:22 AM

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2003, 08:12 PM

I had heard that Vandalay diversified from its core latex business, but I didn't know they'd gone this far.

Karim
Senior User
Jan 8, 2003, 10:08 PM

Last I heard they were also working on some sort of rubber bladder system for oil tankers. They seem to be a high-tech, latex, and environmental conglomerate. Perhaps their Blueteeth products incorporate their various technologies... Form-fitting and prevent spills.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2003, 10:41 PM

Last I heard they were also working on some sort of rubber bladder system for oil tankers. They seem to be a high-tech, latex, and environmental conglomerate. Perhaps their Blueteeth products incorporate their various technologies... Form-fitting and prevent spills.
Made by Kramerica.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
If i want a wireless mouse, I will get the Kensington.
is the wireless kensington mouse bluetooth? I was looking at the pocket mouse pro wireless version.

-Q-
Jan 9, 2003, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by MikeD:
is the wireless kensington mouse bluetooth? I was looking at the pocket mouse pro wireless version.
Nope. It's an RF device...

Karim
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 04:46 AM

It's not bluetooth (proprietary RF). They said they're working on one, and should have something in 2 YEARS!!!

I, and am sure others, won't be waiting till 2005 for Kensington to get with the program.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2003, 02:35 AM

I wat to become a latex salesman.
Where do I sing for it

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 04:05 PM

It's not bluetooth (proprietary RF). They said they're working on one, and should have something in 2 YEARS!!!

I, and am sure others, won't be waiting till 2005 for Kensington to get with the program.
I just ordered the kensington wireless pocket mouse pro. It'll do until a good bluetooth mouse come on the market and it isn't that expensive. A lot of bluetooth devices cost a lot of money too right now so even if there were a bluetooth mouse, it might cost $70 or more... I'll let you know how the pocket mouse pro wireless is when I get it though.

It should be great though since I won't have a wire going from the left side of the powerbook all the way to the right side.

Mike

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2003, 12:27 PM

But if Art Vandalay of Vandalay Industries and Mr. Pennypacker of Kramerica are making Bluetooth mice, then who's watching the Saab factory?
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
But if Art Vandalay of Vandalay Industries and Mr. Pennypacker of Kramerica are making Bluetooth mice, then who's watching the Saab factory?
lmao. a sienfeld fan, i see?

I have the logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical, which is a great mouse and works excellently (works from anywhere in the house on a set of fresh batteries), but i dont think it would be too convenient for laptop use because the reciever is on a cord, which sort of defeats the cordless aspect. That's why i like the idea of the Kensington optical mouse with storage for the reciever built in. It is a little expensive, though, for $50. The Logitech i use is about $30 new.

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 04:08 AM

Yea, I'd buy a Bluetooth kybd and mouse right now if they existed. I ordered the 17" Lapzilla last week and I'm looking for some goodies to use with it.

My main purpose of buying the 17" is so I can have my 'Office' follow me around. I usualy go to a few locations up and down the eastern seaboard, but I usualy don't use the laptop while commutintg. So, this thing is a perfect replacement for my Desktop/iBook combination. Since it has the built-in Bluetooth, having the wireless mouse and full-sized kybd would be a truly awsome addition. But, having to plug something in to the computer kind of defeats the purpose - I just want to plop everything on a desk and go.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2003, 04:19 AM

A bluetooth mouse would ROCK with the powerbook. don't need a receiver OR wires.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 06:02 PM

i agree... im planning on ordering a 12" PB and not having to plug in a reciever would be great. So far, the only one i've seen is the Microsoft one, which is $72 and comes with a USB BT adapter, which obviously isnt necessary. Can you buy it without that yet? it seems like they should since more and more companies are adopting BT. Also, if i put the mouse in a bag, wont the texture on the bag wake up the mouse when i move? it seems like a big waste of battery life. it mystifies me why companies don't just put an on/off switch on their mouses. they conserve battery life more than "sleep mode" and cant be interrupted. Cheaper than programming the power saving stuff, too. Or maybe have it turn off if it doesn't detct a computer recieving what it sends? i dunno, but it seems like there's better ways of doing it.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2003, 03:45 AM

Get both the mouse and the keyboad, keep the keyboard at home for desk usage (you can get a stand, and maybe a second monitor, and use it like a desktop), and have the mouse for both desktop, and whipping outta your laptop case for when ya need it
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

firefly99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2003, 04:30 PM

When I saw the new PB have builtin bluetooth i thought cool you can get a BT mouse have it in your bag less wires less fuss.

The only BT mouse i could find was the Microsoft one. They don't say that it does or doesn't work with the Mac. But since BT is a standard would think it would work. Looked around and found this:

Google Groups

----------

Thomas askes if he can use his newly bought MS BT mouse on his Mac.

Brandon ([email protected]) replies: (The ever so friendly PC User)

"As far as I know, the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse do not work with
toy computers (ie. apple).

Recommended solution: stick to peripherals that are designed for your
platform."

---------

So i'm guessing that the mouse doesn't work untill drivers are released for it.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2003, 10:24 AM

Well, that's the dirty little secret that the Bluetooth propagandists don't want you to know: although it's a "standard", interoperability is a huge problem. Seems that many vendors want to tweak the standard to make it better, so you end up with many different implementations thereof, all slightly different from one another.

Originally posted by firefly99:
When I saw the new PB have builtin bluetooth i thought cool you can get a BT mouse have it in your bag less wires less fuss.

The only BT mouse i could find was the Microsoft one. They don't say that it does or doesn't work with the Mac. But since BT is a standard would think it would work. Looked around and found this:

Google Groups

----------

Thomas askes if he can use his newly bought MS BT mouse on his Mac.

Brandon ([email protected]) replies: (The ever so friendly PC User)

"As far as I know, the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse do not work with
toy computers (ie. apple).

Recommended solution: stick to peripherals that are designed for your
platform."

---------

So i'm guessing that the mouse doesn't work untill drivers are released for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules