Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Slight intermittent buzz coming from power adapter that connects to 15" Pro Macbook

Slight intermittent buzz coming from power adapter that connects to 15" Pro Macbook
Ham Sandwich
Jul 11, 2016, 07:39 AM

In case anyone is sticking around, I'll ask...
There is a slight (like, super low decibel level) intermittent buzz, more like a wrinkly sound every few seconds particularly when scrolling/switching tabs, the sound is coming from the power adapter that connects to my 15" Pro Macbook. Maybe it's just because I'm in a quiet room and it hasn't been so windy that I've noticed it, but I've never heard it before. The condition of the power adapter appears excellent all the way to the plug (both ends).

Could it be that I have the adapter connected to a Belkin 6-port AC adapter and the adapter is defective? I'm using this:
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgeP...dp/B00ATZJ606/

Or is it the Apple adapter that is defective?

Or is this a common problem?

P
Jul 11, 2016, 09:30 AM

Check for ground loops - ie, make sure everything that is connected to the computer (display, external HDs, printers, you name it) is connected to the same surge protector. Could also be tiny vibrations in the caps in the power supply, in which case there isn't much to do.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 11, 2016, 10:30 AM

Easy way to tell. Plug the adapter into a different AC line of the house, see if it does the same thing.

If it doesn't, then check the same power line -- as in, the same line from the breaker box.

Start big, work down to small.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2016, 11:21 AM

Ground loops do not cause a power supply to hum.

Hum induced by ground loops is audible on audio circuits only. It has nothing to do with power supply or component noise.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 11, 2016, 02:36 PM

Yup it was the AC line coming in, something wasn't tight, I made some adjustments and we're quiet again I think so we're set.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 11, 2016, 07:12 PM

Nope I take it back, it's definitely the power adapter, I just tried plugging it into the outlet directly and heard its ever-so-faint whisper buzz click whatevers occasionally while clicking on tabs and scrolling. It just concerned me because usually I think that little buzz sounds such as those are associated with electrical shorts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules