Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > *** Signature Guidelines

*** Signature Guidelines (Page 7)
Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Oct 22, 2002, 02:45 AM

haha!

the thread that would never die returns!

more exclamation points!

weeeeeee!!!!!

i've been reminding people here and there that they are in violation. but this thread covers a bit more ground than my PMs do. so here it is. enjoy it in its 7 page glory.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
haha!

the thread that would never die returns!

more exclamation points!

weeeeeee!!!!!

i've been reminding people here and there that they are in violation. but this thread covers a bit more ground than my PMs do. so here it is. enjoy it in its 7 page glory.
How about we make youse a deal Mr. Hood....
Select a few of us frequent posters and readers to be your eyes and ears. We will scout out signature violators, and in return you grant us the ability to replace their signature with the violator one! So whaddaya say?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Select a few of us frequent posters and readers to be your eyes and ears. We will scout out signature violators, and in return you grant us the ability to replace their signature with the violator one! So whaddaya say?
Be sure to wipe the brown off of your nose.
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2002, 03:06 PM

bump
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 03:46 PM

Well, then, since this thread seems to be the "post your sig test here" thread, let me test drive my new sig:

:edit: hmm... seems a bit large

:edit:edit:: thas mobetta

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

agentz
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Well, then, since this thread seems to be the "post your sig test here" thread, let me test drive my new sig:

:edit: hmm... seems a bit large

:edit:edit:: thas mobetta
And without any irony whatsoever - its still too big
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2002, 04:53 PM

You should customize a bit of text in the user center about sig guidlines, like right underneath the box where you put the code in

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Nov 1, 2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Too Much Coffee Woman:
You should customize a bit of text in the user center about sig guidlines, like right underneath the box where you put the code in
it is (look to the left of the sig edit box)

Signature:
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.
Images may be no larger than 140 pixels wide and 40 pixels tall.
Images are required to also be under 10KB, not animated, and non-offensive.

Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2002, 06:01 PM

Signature:
then i think people is be dumbed.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by agentz:

And without any irony whatsoever - its still too big
Admins: while I am now in compliance with the dictate, I would like to lodge a statement of protest; there should be a spirit of the thing to follow, as opposed to the exact letter.

My sig is now titled: toe_the_line_damnit.gif

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Nov 1, 2002, 07:08 PM

Admins: while I am now in compliance with the dictate, I would like to lodge a statement of protest; there should be a spirit of the thing to follow, as opposed to the exact letter.

My sig is now titled: toe_the_line_damnit.gif
read the rest of this lengthy thread if you want to know why we have exact rules and not loose guidelines.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 1, 2002, 07:15 PM

Signature:
hey, how did that get there?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 07:46 PM

read the rest of this lengthy thread if you want to know why we have exact rules and not loose guidelines.
Now I see what you do. You make protestors read the entire thread, thereby essentially beating them into not caring. Gotcha.

Actually, having actually read the whole thing, especially this little post:

some of you are certainly taking this seriously. or at least you wish it to appear so. you think you'll be less of a net cowboy if you give in to the big bad evil board admin? i'm sorry if getting called on being in violation of board policy irked you. but dems the rules. if you want the rules changed, present your argument in a calm manner. but only after you comply with our current guidelines. it's not that big of a deal. just resize your image, remove it completely, or use some text instead.

for anybody that has read this entire thread (congrats), you'll know that Misha (the former main admin) temporarily disabled images in signatures because there were so many flagrant violations. i haven't done that. yet. but all this complaining over something so petty (and easy to fix) doesn't seem to bode well for members on this board.

as for this being out of the blue, well, it is and it isn't. i bump this thread every few months (still looking for the file to edit to get this in the User Center). i send PMs to people who are in violation at least a couple times a month. but i can't always keep up. so occasionally i have to do it in one big shot. and that's why this thread is sticky, why some people have their profile locked, and why the sig violator image was created.

i think i said everything i needed to say on the first page of this thread. but i'll recap/revise right here:

From my 12-10-2001 Post on page 1
No matter what the size restrictions are, some people will complain. Why? Because they like to complain. They like to "fight the power" in the name of their constitutional right to do whatever they damn well please. This is not to say everyone that complains about this is believes that. There are a few reasoned responses above. But even if I changed the restrictions to 100x500 tomorrow, someone would scream out "censorhip! let the sigs be free! you dirty nazi!" We ask people politely to change their sigs if we find them outside the acceptable range (or indecent). Yet people still cry fowl and reserve their right to post any image they want to. You know what, you don't have that right. We've been pretty nice about all this. Some of you have just blown it out of proportions in an attempt to cause a fuss and draw attention to yourself. Cuz hey, who doesn't want to be a "fight the power" rebel?

We might change the pixel restrictions in the future. We've been debating it off and on for awhile. But you need to comply with the current guidelines first. In the meantime, here are some hard and fast rules for you to ponder:

1) height is definitely a more important consideration than width. if we changed anything, it'd be the width restrictions.
2) the less than 10k rule isn't going to change. despite what some would have you believe, they don't stay in cache forever. some of us do a lot of web browsing, thereby displacing the old cache with new material.
3) animated is never going to be allowed. it is visually distracting. i'm here for the text of the messages on the boards. anything else is extraneous.
4) if someone posts an inline image (not in their sig) that's too big, we typically ask them to make it a thumbnail or just a link. this is both in consideration for modem users, and to make sure the image doesn't prop the window open.
5) there's nothing wrong with size restrictions. if you can't figure out something to put into a 40x140 box, then put some text in your sig instead.
6) if we don't have rules about dimensions, then whenever a user is asked to change his/her sig image, they'll say "hey, username29188 didn't get asked! his is huge and ugly!" that'll only perpetuate the idea that favoritism is in play. btw, there is no favoritism in this at all. people who were asked to change their sig were asked because we noticed their image and realized it was out of bounds. some people were asked several times and still did not comply. then they turn around and call me a nazi for politely asking them and not locking their profile. fair huh.
7) as someone pointed out above, signatures are an easy way to identify a user (a distinct graphic is much easier to recall than a name, at least for me). so disabling signatures altogether in your User Center isn't an acceptable choice for many.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.
which really ought to get copied, reformatted, cleaned up, properly proofed and pasted somewhere prominent and perminent (pspspsppppp *spits out an inhaled gnat*), I understand the reasons.

That doesn't mean I explicitly agree with them, but I understand full well the reasons.

A suggestion to think about. Super tall sigs not withstanding, could a cap be best applied using file size, not dimensions? This will give individuals freedom to create (etc) while preserving size restraints (IOW, its hard to create a REALLY BIG SIG that is less than 10k). And like I said, really tall sigs would definatly be outside "the spirit of the thing," but all else would lend users a nice degree of freedom with reasonable constraints keeping those good folks (God bless them) who are still using dialup completely in mind. You could even chop the file max to 8k. My sig before i resized it from 140x43 was 3.6k and dropped to 3.02 or something like that. I also noticed the resize makes the sig look fuzzy and isn't preferred. It may not seem like it but 3 pixels really can make a difference to the artist who created the signature picture. The freedom of file size limits over dimension limits will satisfy users while preserving those reasons cited for the constraints.

I just thought this might be an idea to begin thinking about. Don't deney it is perfectly reasonable. And PLEEEASE don't reject it simply becuase you have 1000 or more words contributed to the 140x40 cause; that would be your ego getting in the way of reason and is never appropriate.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 08:33 PM

<disgruntled noise> It never ends! Just follow the sig guidelines. That will give you more time to worry about the other crap that goes on in the Lounge, like new cars and anti-windoze propoganda.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
<disgruntled noise> It never ends! Just follow the sig guidelines. That will give you more time to worry about the other crap that goes on in the Lounge, like new cars and anti-windoze propoganda.
Ever hear the expression, "An old joke isn't old if you've never heard it?"

Well, the same goes here. This issue is new, and will continue to be new for every newish person who registeres. I gotta admit though; there are other things SOO much more important that I should spend my time whining about.

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Nov 1, 2002, 08:37 PM

A suggestion to think about. Super tall sigs not withstanding, could a cap be best applied using file size, not dimensions? This will give individuals freedom to create (etc) while preserving size restraints (IOW, its hard to create a REALLY BIG SIG that is less than 10k).
This has been suggested before. That is why I suggested reading the whole thread, not to be a jerk.
The reason then, as now, against having ONLY a filesize restriction is that someone could make an image 2 pixels high and 1000 pixels wide. It would be under 10k, but it'd prop the window open and be obnoxious. There have to be dimension restrictions in place.

And like I said, really tall sigs would definatly be outside "the spirit of the thing," but all else would lend users a nice degree of freedom with reasonable constraints keeping those good folks (God bless them) who are still using dialup completely in mind.
"really tall" and "spirit" aren't exact terms. It would lead to even more complaining about other member's signatures, as I stated above.

My sig before i resized it from 140x43 was 3.6k and dropped to 3.02 or something like that. I also noticed the resize makes the sig look fuzzy and isn't preferred.
Did you just resize the image? Or did you go back into Photoshop and recreate it to fit within the new dimensions? The latter is better, naturally.

I just thought this might be an idea to begin thinking about. Don't deney it is perfectly reasonable. And PLEEEASE don't reject it simply becuase you have 1000 or more words contributed to the 140x40 cause; that would be your ego getting in the way of reason and is never appropriate.
tip #1 in getting what you want: don't insult/degrade/belittle/condescend to/spit upon/etc.. the person you're trying to convince. Your idea is reasonable, but so are our current guidelines. Thanks for presenting your ideas in a (mostly) rational manner.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 08:44 PM

Thanks for presenting your ideas in a (mostly) rational manner.

Sorry bout the "don't be a dick about this please" comment. I just am sooo used to people refusing to consider an idea based on sunk costs that I automatically include things like that.

Yea, in hindsight, while a little more lattitude would be nice, you know what they say: "give a inch, they take a mile and whine about the other 5k you are holding out on."

Well, they don't exactly say that but we all get the point. You might as well past that big long post of yours into a permanent page you can refer newbs like myself to. It'd save time, I think.

[edit] substituted post for thing just to clarify things a bit. Don't want any jokers to get ideas, now do we?
( Last edited by Zimmerman; Nov 1, 2002 at 08:49 PM. )

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Nov 6, 2002, 12:41 AM

this is a bump for a few prolific newcomers that have arrived recently.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Nov 6, 2002, 12:56 AM

Argh, what n00b keeps bumping this!? >:E

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2002, 01:24 AM

bump

What now!? Wanna take this outside!?

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Nov 21, 2002, 01:59 PM

rampant's "huge sig" thread might be a joke, but a little bump of this thread can't hurt anyway.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2002, 02:04 PM

maybe we should make a new thread...
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2002, 02:06 PM

I don't believe I have ever posted in this thread before. About time.

I have always been a good lad regarding sig guidelines. They are difficult to follow if you want a fancy sig (and that is why I have always kept mine rather simple) but I have seen some members pull off very flashy cool things withing the guidlines. Cool cool.

I support the current signature guidlines. They help keeping this forum clean of adolecent giant sigs.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

bewebste
Senior User
Nov 21, 2002, 02:21 PM

I don't need no stinkin' sig!

+1

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2002, 04:11 PM

rampant's "huge sig" thread might be a joke, but a little bump of this thread can't hurt anyway.
How about a cross-post to the topic formerly known as OSX General?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2002, 01:19 AM

bump

Slaveway
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2002, 12:34 PM

mine........

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2002, 12:47 PM

Yep! There's nothing like driving home to these idiots who can't comply with the rules. I think you should ban them all Demonhood, and then call them silly names.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Dec 12, 2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Yep! There's nothing like driving home to these idiots who can't comply with the rules. I think you should ban them all Demonhood, and then call them silly names.
ok, but only if you compress your text into two lines (a little known part of the sig guidelines)

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2002, 01:23 PM

YOU WILL NOT REPRESS ME WITH YOUR SUCKY SIG GUIDELINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

errrr... wait... i guess that party is already over

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2002, 11:14 PM

Hmm, it seems that I haven't posted in here either...I feel so much better now Hey I might even make my own sig one day...one day

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
maybe we should make a new thread...
[defiant] NEVAH!!!!!! [/defiant]

Naw. We wouldn't want to destroy the tradition. Besides, the old one would keep floating around anyway.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 13, 2002, 02:12 AM

STOP BUMPING THIS YOU GODDAMN SPAMMER! >:E

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2003, 02:16 AM

Bump.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2003, 03:05 PM

It's been a few months, and I'd forgotten about it until scuaght reminded me. Blame scaught.

*BUMPINATED*

*feels ... cuter* How in the hell...?

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 04:52 PM

I wish the mods would enforce these policies more consistently. When I try to point out violations myself, I think I come off looking like a jerk. I'll try to keep quiet and let the mods handle it from now on.

Incidentally, I carefully designed my sig to meet the guidelines, so hopefully it should be okay. ThePurpleGiant has been kind enough to host it for me.

Stubie
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 05:39 PM

Could someone maybe make this a sticky? That way, the issue won't come up again
Devsyn Development Studio: it tastes great and goes down smooth!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 05:42 PM

I'd like to know if it would be ok to use the "report abuse" dealy to blow the whistle on people with huge sigs. Like Anomalous said, I always seem like the bad guy when I try to call people on it.

Stubie
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I'd like to know if it would be ok to use the "report abuse" dealy to blow the whistle on people with huge sigs.
Heh, not a bad idea, wataru!
Devsyn Development Studio: it tastes great and goes down smooth!

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
May 7, 2003, 06:18 PM

use the 'report abuse' button for anything you want to report. sig over the limit, offensive post, thread that got off topic, double posted thread, etc..

as for making this sticky, it was. for a long long time. besides, the guidelines are to the left of the signature edit box.

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 7, 2003, 06:24 PM

>cough< current sig rules are archaic and stupid >cough<

Excuse me.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 06:30 PM

How is this for a sig:

Too big?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
May 16, 2003, 06:03 PM

just in case anyone thought we didn't have sig rules anymore.

is still the law.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 16, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout69:
>cough< current sig rules are archaic and stupid >cough<
Oh grow the up.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
May 16, 2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Oh just ban signatures ya power-hungry nut-case. Quit whining.

Also, how do you define 4 lines of text? Heck, on a 48" plasma display 4 lines of text is very, very long.

As far as I'm concerned making the sig guidelines a little looser wouldn't hurt. Ok, it might hurt your ego... but thats not my problem.

On a totally unrelated note, I think demonhood should be replaced with a blind hippie All in favor say "aye".
AYE!
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I don't believe I have ever posted in this thread before. About time.

I have always been a good lad regarding sig guidelines. They are difficult to follow if you want a fancy sig (and that is why I have always kept mine rather simple) but I have seen some members pull off very flashy cool things withing the guidlines. Cool cool.

I support the current signature guidlines. They help keeping this forum clean of adolecent giant sigs.
Ass.

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Ass.

Why did you just call yourself an ass?
I mean should I report abuse? what would I say? "Demonhood, this guy just personally attacked himself"?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 05:29 PM

ah the great sig wars... good times, good times

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 23, 2004, 02:54 AM

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2004, 03:17 AM

I love you, hippy.

Forum Links