Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie4 & Canon ZR60 not compatible

iMovie4 & Canon ZR60 not compatible
hodaddy
Oct 20, 2004, 06:00 PM

i have a mac. in fact i have more than several. i have 3 just for me at the office (i like the space heater effect, what can i say?)

a few months ago my office-next-door neighbor informed me that she was going to get a powerbook soon and wanted some advice. she wanted to get a powerbook & camcorder to do video as she had a baby on the way. she couldnt afford the whole setup all at once and opted to get the camera so she could have some footage in the can. we researched at that time and came up with a Canon ZR60 for her pricerange/feature needs (mainly that it worked with iMovie)

and, it did work with iMovie. she'd bring in tapes and i'd offload the video to show her how easy it was going to be. looked like a cakewalk.

so, last week she finally got the powerbook--a 15" (im jealous).

in a nutshell, the thing wont work. not at all. and a brief glance back at the compatibility chart seems to reveal just why. it appears as tho apple has written this particular miniDV cam out of the iMovie picture.

i've not seen anything anywhere (google, apple's boards, here) discussing this development. in fact i've seen posts as recently as sep. 30, 2004 discussing the ZR60 & iMovie 4 working ...tho there are some framerate issues.

is it possible that apple has somehow disabled the ZR60 internally so that it wont work on the new powerbooks? as the resident mac 'expert' i'm more than a little embarassed at this development. i cant say that im embarrassed for myself, tho i do feel a little guilty for the expense which i recommended.

anyone else with similar problems?
if it aint' broke, break it.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2004, 12:12 PM

It should work fine. I've used that camera with iMovie, and it's worked great. Does it work on your systems? Does iMovie not recognize it at all? Is the FW port flakey (boot it into target-disk mode to check)? A little more info is needed as to what "not working" means.

Apple's chart is out-of-date (no Canon GL2, etc).
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 21, 2004, 03:30 PM

I have the canon zr70 the next model up. I emailed Canon about weather or not it would work with my system, g4 dual 1 ghz with FCP. I never got an email back and bought it anyway and it has worked like a charm ever since and never had any problems. About 2 weeks later I finially got an e-mail back from canon and they stated it would not work for my application. I wanted to send them one back saying it works great for me, but never did. I use mine in FCP but it like verson 2 or 3.

I just hooked it up and started up iMovie and mine works just fine without a hitch. Imported a clip and all. iMovie 4.0.1 is what I have on this system but it's not a PB...
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules