Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > UK people! HELP!

UK people! HELP!
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 04:49 PM

There is a product that is sold over the pond that I want shipped here. you can only buy it over there, and no one will ship it here... herein lies the catch. I dont think customs would have an issue, but ya never know.

let me know if you can buy a couple of these for me.

I would pay you a little extra for the effort.

Thanks!

those things are damn cool!

OK, complain, accuse, whatever... I know the possible problems that would arise from this... so you dont need to tell me!

P.D.

::edit:: I found some info here... there is no way to detect them with a detector, so unless customs opened the package, they would not know anything

"The active part of the glowring is a 1 millimeter hollow silicone tube, whose internal faces are covered with fluorescent powder, the same way than fluorescent tubes. The inside is filled with tritium gas, which is radioactive hydrogen. Tritium emits beta radiations, which are basically low speed electrons. Beta radiations are not able to travel more than a few millimeters of air, they cannot travel through the glass at all_[1]. The electrons when they hit the fluorescent powder emit a photon, which makes the glow. The half -period of tritum is 12 years, so in 12 years, they will glow half the current glow, etc..."
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Apr 25, 2004 at 05:02 PM. )

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 05:39 PM

I don't mind helping out...

Just drop me a PM.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 07:15 PM

Wow, they're pretty cool. Might pick some up for myself

Anyhow, can probably help you out if you want. Send me a PM if TPC can't help.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules