Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Project (a PC Question)

MS Project (a PC Question)
Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 09:05 AM

Yes I know this is for Mac applications, but with the large user base I think I can assume that not all the people who frequent here are exclusive mac users.

The problem:

I have a project that has specified durations and have created a baseline to show the original plan. I am then updating certain tasks to reflect how far I am through the task.

Now to reflect this progress I want to update my project accordingly. Am am doing this by going to Tools/Tracking/Update Project and then selecting the "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after" and then selecting the appropriate date with the Entire Project radio button selected.

Now this is where I have issue with the results. Let me say that I had three tasks (A, B, & C) that follow one another. Each has a duration of one week, giving an original baseline duration of 3 weeks. After the first week I have actually completed both A & B. According to MS Project I will still start C in week 3, even though logic dictates we could start it in week 2 and finish a week early.

How do get Project to automatically change the start times to reflect a predecessor finishing earlier than expected? When viewing the tasks they are all set the start ASAP. If I change the actual finish time of task A, it still does not update the actual start time for B.

Ideas?

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 05:56 PM

Mac Users + PC Question = No Help

Damn, now I have to try and figure it out by myself!

(you can also look at this post as being a BUMP)

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
Mac Users + PC Question = No Help

Damn, now I have to try and figure it out by myself!

(you can also look at this post as being a BUMP)
i heard from a guy who knows a guy that lives next to a woman that dated a man who had a son that had a pc that the website neowin.net can be a useful resource. but like i said, word of mouth - no real experience with it.

Link to the Forums
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Ken Jacobs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 08:12 PM

Once you have declared your initial schedule as baseline, I would make normal changes to the various tasks to reflect revised completion dates. The relationship between tasks will force changes in start dates as one would expect. If you use tracking Gantt view, it will show actuals various planned activities.

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Being a super critical MS hater I feel that if you adjust the actual start or finish time that should automatically be reflected in the overall project.

Will investigate the duration changing method.

Forum Links
Forum Rules