Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Get rid of the "Mate 1 Internet Dating" banner ads?

Get rid of the "Mate 1 Internet Dating" banner ads?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 09:38 AM

While not necessarily NSFW, they aren't really something I want anyone at work to see on my monitor, even if I'm browsing MacNN during a break.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:13 PM

the blonde in the red bikini one?

Alex

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 01:42 PM

Burned in your mind ,is it?

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 04:09 PM

no its just annying and embarrasing if your boss walks past!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 06:36 PM

This. Thread. Is. Useless. Without. Pics.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2007, 08:06 PM

if it's the same ad I mentioned above, than I did a thread about it here http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...rl-pop-up-pic/ back in october

Alex

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
if it's the same ad I mentioned above, than I did a thread about it here http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...rl-pop-up-pic/ back in october

Alex
That's totally obnoxious...

...and funny!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 02:26 AM

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
In my experience (and others) Its about as stable and dependable as a 1 legged drunk who's crutches have just been stolen.

Back to the adds.. The situation has got out of hand I feel, yet Macnn staff appear not to care. A similar post I made some time ago mysteriously vanished

The adds are localised, so I dont see the same ones that you do. The ones I get here in the UK are mostly for a mobile phone provider called "Orange". The add content itself isnt especially annoying, even if there are 3 near identical Orange adds on the Macnn home page alone. My problem with these adds is that on my 1.8Ghz G5, the front page of Macnn with these adds take 100% of the cpu power! So as you'd expect, the computer becomes slow.
So can you imagine what loading up the Macnn home page does to my 1ghz G4 powerbook? It near enough completely cripples it, often forcing me to force quit Safari. And even that takes a while with all the beach balling going on.

I get this with no other websites at all. Just Macnn (Oh and AppleInsider, but then thats part of Macnn anyway)
I wish Pithelmet worked for me. But it just isn't anywhere near stable enough. Hopefully an update will fix it. But I dont generally have a problem with adds. Only the ones on this site
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 11:37 AM

I never had problems with PithHelmet. Works great on my G3 500MHz iBook.

-t

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
My problem with these adds is that on my 1.8Ghz G5, the front page of Macnn with these adds take 100% of the cpu power! So as you'd expect, the computer becomes slow.
So can you imagine what loading up the Macnn home page does to my 1ghz G4 powerbook? It near enough completely cripples it, often forcing me to force quit Safari. And even that takes a while with all the beach balling going on.
Hum.. that could explain a lot of things.. I often leave MacNN open in the background while I surf and the performance is unbearable... Even browsing this forum brings Safari to a crawl..

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 12:35 AM

no pop-up here.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 07:00 PM

My problem with these adds is that on my 1.8Ghz G5, the front page of Macnn wit
Ad Blocking for Mozilla, Netscape 7, and Safari

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Thanks for this.. I will give it a go today.

Still, poor show once again from macnn staff that have shown that they could not care less about many people not being able to view their own website properly unless the browser is essentially modified

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks for this.. I will give it a go today.

Still, poor show once again from macnn staff that have shown that they could not care less about many people not being able to view their own website properly unless the browser is essentially modified
Actually, their ad company could not care less. They have tried to tell them to keep certain ads out of the rotation but they keep putting them back in, so they have to take them back out manually.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Actually, their ad company could not care less. They have tried to tell them to keep certain ads out of the rotation but they keep putting them back in, so they have to take them back out manually.
Thats a shame..
I had assumed it was Macnn staff not caring, because on the occasions I have mentioned it, there has been no reply from them. And once my post was even wiped with no trace.

Also, the add blocking thing was no use, as it doesnt block flash adds, which pretty much all of them are these days.
Someone has given me some tips on how to make pithelmet stable, so I think i'll have to give that a go again sometime.

Thanks for the input and suggestions anyway though

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 12:30 AM

Thats a shame..
I had assumed it was Macnn staff not caring, because on the occasions I have mentioned it, there has been no reply from them. And once my post was even wiped with no trace.

Also, the add blocking thing was no use, as it doesnt block flash adds, which pretty much all of them are these days.
Someone has given me some tips on how to make pithelmet stable, so I think i'll have to give that a go again sometime.

Thanks for the input and suggestions anyway though
You can try Adblock for Firefox. Go to addons.mozilla.org and search for it. It lets you block flash ads, iframe ads, DIV elements on sites (for blocking an ad-specific DIV on a site...I've managed to completely remove ads from Newsweek.com and my local newspaper and TV station sites), as well as images.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

andi*pandi
Jan 31, 2007, 11:02 AM

I don't mind letting MacNN make some revenue from ads, so I don't block them... but they should be SFW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules