Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Just installed Leopard ... 2 pushes for .Mac???

Just installed Leopard ... 2 pushes for .Mac???
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 10:54 AM

Installed Leopard last night and was a little annoyed at how heavily Apple tried to push .Mac. First they ask if I want to subscribe to .Mac, with the default response being "Yes, of course!". Then the next screen is "Are you sure you don't want to subscribe to .Mac???", and again the default response is "Of course I want to subscribe!".

Apple's latest trend for heavy-handed marketing is a little disconcerting. With the Safari push, the iPhone Apps for the Touch promotion in iTunes that is difficult to get rid of for some people, and now this. I find myself increasingly on guard not to accidentally buy in to something I don't want simply because Apple snuck it through a defaulted consent where it wasn't expected.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 11:41 AM

I've never consider asking and conforming to be heavy handed. I've seen worse, Just click by it and move on. No big deal.

I think in this day in age, regardless of the vendor you need to be sure of what your are clicking on.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 02:41 PM

The first question is whether you are a .Mac subscriber or want to become one.

The second time is the question of whether you want a 60-day trial account.

The second question is separate because it is asked when you actually register your Mac online, so it's also asked if you don't have a working internet connection when you initially set up yur machine and hit the "Register" alias in your home folder later.

I'm pretty sure it was the same in 10.4, no? Not pretty.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2008, 03:10 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. You really needed to make a thread about this?

You just paid at least $1k for an apple product. They're offering you an add on service that expands the ability of your machine. They asked you twice. Big deal.

Move on. Nothing to see here folks.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2008, 03:11 PM

And for the record... Apple's nowhere near as bad as MS with their damned ballon pop ups that bug you every so often for this or that.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. You really needed to make a thread about this?

You just paid at least $1k for an apple product. They're offering you an add on service that expands the ability of your machine. They asked you twice. Big deal.

Move on. Nothing to see here folks.
Yes, I needed to make a thread about this.

Apple always seems to get a free pass on these issues while we bag on MS and Sony for pulling similar stunts.
I find it sad that Apple seems to feel the need to say "Do you want to buy X", and after the user says "No", they push the offer again. It bugs me when electronics salesmen do it, it bugs me when Apple does it.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
And for the record... Apple's nowhere near as bad as MS with their damned ballon pop ups that bug you every so often for this or that.
Personally, I expect Apple to be better than MS, not "not as bad".

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2008, 04:22 PM

Out of interest, what's the difference between 'better' and 'not as bad'?

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2008, 04:41 PM

"not as bad" says "it's bad, just not as bad"

Generally, "not as bad" seems to get used when one can't really defend something and so refers to something worse.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Apple always seems to get a free pass on these issues while we bag on MS and Sony for pulling similar stunts.
I find it sad that Apple seems to feel the need to say "Do you want to buy X", and after the user says "No", they push the offer again. It bugs me when electronics salesmen do it, it bugs me when Apple does it.
While I do agree with you, that's not exactly what Apple is doing (as mentioned above).

They ask you, "do you want to buy X", and when you say no, they ask you "would you like to try it first?"

And to be fair, what sets them apart from others is that once you're done with that, you're done with it and they leave you alone.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
While I do agree with you, that's not exactly what Apple is doing (as mentioned above).

They ask you, "do you want to buy X", and when you say no, they ask you "would you like to try it first?"
If it were my interface, I'd have the "Would you like to try" and the "Do you want to buy" on the same screen, with the "Try" as the default.

And to be fair, what sets them apart from others is that once you're done with that, you're done with it and they leave you alone.
But that's just it. When I said "No" to buy, I thought I *was* done with with it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2008, 01:53 PM

I think I understand why there's a second push:
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The second question is separate because it is asked when you actually register your Mac online, so it's also asked if you don't have a working internet connection when you initially set up yur machine and hit the "Register" alias in your home folder later.
In any case, annoying, but only mildly so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules