Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Seeking 2.0.1 reviews ... is 2.0 out of beta?

Seeking 2.0.1 reviews ... is 2.0 out of beta?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 11:08 AM

How are people finding the performance of 2.0.1? Is the speed on par with, or better than, 1.1.4? Is the crashing gone?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2008, 11:09 AM

The crashing is gone for me as is 90% of the lag. Big big improvement but still the odd little thing here and there.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 11:20 AM

I didn't have many issues with 2.0 and I still don't with 2.0.1. Safari still seems to crash with some web pages. And 3G performance could still be better, but that certainly has just as much to do with the carrier's network as with the driver software on the iPhone.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 10, 2008, 12:19 PM

I still get lag in the Contacts list on my 3G with 2.0.1. I also have trouble with push email from MobileMe and the GPS periodically cutting out. (The solution I found was to toggle push/fetch or the locator services for a few seconds).

Looking forward to 2.1...

Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2008, 12:37 PM

A lot faster, but the hugely annoying screen-doesn't-return-to-full-brightness-after-dimming issue is still present.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
A lot faster, but the hugely annoying screen-doesn't-return-to-full-brightness-after-dimming issue is still present.
Faster than 2.0 or 1.1.4?

Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2008, 12:52 PM

2.0. It still has its slow moments compared to 1.1.4.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 01:28 PM

That's what I feared. Guess I'll be sticking with 1.1.4 until Apple is able to quality contol 2.0.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 01:42 PM

Works great. No problems, solved many of the ones from 1.1.4.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 09:57 PM

I haven't had any crashes, and I had a ton with 2.0. As far as speed goes, it's just as fast as 1.1.4 besides booting up for me. Multitasking is a lot smoother, and I haven't had any crashes browsing Safari and listening to music (it crashed a lot doing that with 1.1.4).

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 10:32 PM

It seems fine to me. There are a few minor lags and annoyances but nothing that would make me regret getting the iPhone. It's still infinitely better than any other phone software I've ever used.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2008, 06:05 PM

In comparable apps, I do not find 2.0.1 slower than 1.1.3. I had plenty of crashes in 1.1.3; 2.0.1 seems to be similarly stable but not perfect.

My speed issues are with the large exchange contact list from work. Was not possible before, works much better than 2.0.

I love the different apps I've loaded on my iPhone - so much so that it has replaced at least an hour of laptop use per day for me. Go for it!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
so much so that it has replaced at least an hour of laptop use per day for me. Go for it!
I find that I use the iPhone as my primary method of checking email. I only open the laptop when I need to actually reply to something.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 09:15 PM

2.0.1 is way faster and more stable than 2.0.0 was ~

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
2.0.1 is way faster and more stable than 2.0.0 was ~
No doubt. But, how do you find it in comparison to 1.1.4? 2.0 was so much worse than 1.1.4 that I'm more curious about that comparison.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 10:08 PM

I'd say it's better than 1.1.4. Issues that I had with 1.1.4 don't occur now, and I haven't had one crash in the several days that I've had it. I've installed a lot of new apps as well.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'd say it's better than 1.1.4. Issues that I had with 1.1.4 don't occur now, and I haven't had one crash in the several days that I've had it. I've installed a lot of new apps as well.
Exactly.

stevebez
Aug 11, 2008, 11:16 PM

2.0 crashed alot but always worked after a reboot. 2.0.1 is quicker and I was a fan until this morning when I could no longer run any app other than the phone & Safari. It took me three tries to "successfully" restore, and I still had to manually import my music.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2008, 11:46 PM

I do have one problem that I noticed today- my phone randomly starts playing music out loud, even when I haven't used the iPod part of it all day. It happened three times today. I used the internet, wrote a note, or used GPS, and then put it to sleep with the sleep button. A minute or so later I heard music coming from the phone and noticed that it had somehow gotten into the iPod function and started playing random music.

Luckily it didn't happen during a time when it would have interrupted anything, but this is very annoying.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 12:35 AM

To be honest I don't notice that much difference between 2.0 and 2.0.1. It still has the same lag and crashing issues as before
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Aug 12, 2008 at 02:16 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 02:14 AM

It's strange how some people report dramatic improvements (adamfishercox or Andy8) while other see hardly a difference (erik or myself). I'm wondering if this might be caused by different 2.0 builds. Did those seeing big improvements with 2.0.1 have the 5A345 2.0 or the 5A347? Or does it depend on the international version? Are those seeing the vast improvements all on US iPhones?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 02:21 AM

I chalk it up to "fresh install syndrome". The phone/computer will always feel faster/more stable immediately after a install and reboot and provide instant gratification. The time between install and first crash/hang is also going to seem problem free. With time things does seem to return to "normal" though.

I rarely saw keyboard lag prior to 2.0.1, now I seem to notice it more.
Applications which use an internal web browser like Local Picks seem to crash pretty reliably when entering text (after a massive keyboard lag).

Application crashes which bring down the whole phone is much rarer though!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2008, 09:07 AM

Still no crashes yet but I am still running into some major lag from time to time in Google Maps and Contacts.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 09:45 AM

Far fewer crashes, but still the occasional lag in contacts here too.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2008, 02:14 PM

Contacts are ridiculously slow, even in 2.0.1, to the point of making it useless.

The crash issues are gone for me though.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 03:44 PM

Bottom line: 2.0.1 solved a major of issues for the majority of people who updated. Some have had problems. And some problems still exist. ymmv.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 02:24 PM

Ok I dare anyone on 2.01 to go into google maps get a GPS signal and then try using other functions within the app such as looking up directions or searching for other locations. If you can use it for 5 minutes and come back here and say you didn't encounter ANY lag or delayed reactions to actions you're lying, don't know what responsiveness means or you got a different OS than everyone else.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 02:38 PM

I just did exactly what you asked me to do: Acquired GPS signal, I am down by Dundas and University right now, asked for directions to Parkdale. Took about a second to load. Asked for directions to our house in the country. Same result and no lag.

However, there sometimes is lag when trying to access bookmarks from within google directions. So:

Acquire GPS signal
Click 'Directions'
Click bookmarks to select 'Current Location'.
Lagging, typically one to three seconds. This happens one out of three attempts.
Destination text box pops up and all is well.

moep
Senior User
Aug 13, 2008, 03:45 PM

I’m not overly pleased with 2.0.1 after using it for one week.

- Yes, there’s less input lag but it’s still there.
- I can still make my iPhone crash whenever I want (listen to music, load page with large images in safari and scroll up and down very fast -> OS runs out of RAM and locks up so hard that I can’t even turn it off without a hard reset. Does it even have swap?)
- I want my left volumes buttons to be “on hold” when the iPhone is in locked mode. Volume keeps going up and down while I’m listening to music and the iPhone is in my pocket.
- what the heck is up with the completely redundant Contact.app
- turning on/off WiFi and BT should be easier than it is now (not 2.0.1 related)

I think that’s all.
Sign me up for an iPhone Pro with double the ram.
( Last edited by moep; Aug 14, 2008 at 02:46 AM. )
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I just did exactly what you asked me to do: Acquired GPS signal, I am down by Dundas and University right now, asked for directions to Parkdale. Took about a second to load. Asked for directions to our house in the country. Same result and no lag.

However, there sometimes is lag when trying to access bookmarks from within google directions. So:

Acquire GPS signal
Click 'Directions'
Click bookmarks to select 'Current Location'.
Lagging, typically one to three seconds. This happens one out of three attempts.
Destination text box pops up and all is well.
Ok so in other words you did experience lag using Google maps

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
- what the heck is up with the completely redundant Contact.app
It started with the iPod touch but I guess people like it as it is clear where to go when looking up contacts for anything other than calling someone and it saves you one click.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ok so in other words you did experience lag using Google maps
I didn't say that. Sometimes there is a bit of lag, sometimes there isn't. If there is it is only ever apparent once, from then on all is well. It is never bad enough to be crippling.

-Q-
Aug 14, 2008, 11:37 AM

Same as everyone else - improved performance but I still get keyboard lag when typing SMS messages. Don't have the phone itself crashing at all, but some apps are still a bit unstable. All-in-all, a good update, but there's still room for improvement.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Same as everyone else - improved performance but I still get keyboard lag when typing SMS messages. Don't have the phone itself crashing at all, but some apps are still a bit unstable. All-in-all, a good update, but there's still room for improvement.
How can it be a good update if performance is still below that of previous versions of the software?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 12:37 PM

I didn't say that. Sometimes there is a bit of lag, sometimes there isn't. If there is it is only ever apparent once, from then on all is well. It is never bad enough to be crippling.
I don't remember saying anythng about crippling or how many seconds it takes before a lag is a "Real" lag. I said google maps lags and you said:
"Lagging, typically one to three seconds."

That sounds like lag to me no?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2008, 12:50 PM

Less lag in 2.0.1 vs 2.0.
Overall more stable, but Safari can still crash on some sites. 3rd party apps still can cause problems, but on 2.0 a reboot was more often necessary.

I never had a 1st generation iPhone, so I can't compare against 1.1.4.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 02:30 PM

Ya it is definetly better but google maps is still laggy for sure as is when I pull up visual voicemails or adding a new contact through mail.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
That sounds like lag to me no?
I said it happens sometimes, not all of the time.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 04:08 PM

I said it happens sometimes, not all of the time.
Ok fine, but either way it still lags according to both our experiences.

Sometimes lags don't make me feel better and tell people it is lag free like 1.1.4 was.

-Q-
Aug 15, 2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
How can it be a good update if performance is still below that of previous versions of the software?
I didn't say it was below the performance of previous software. My opinion, of course, but performance of 2.01 is on par with 1.14. I had delays in SMS messaging in that version and have it in 2.01. So from my perspective, 2.01 was a good update. It got me back to what I was used to in terms of stability and speed but still has some areas for improvement.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2008, 11:57 AM

To answer the thread title, no 2.0.1 is definitely not out of beta. Stability of the apps (even the Apple ones) is atrocious. So far, Safari has crashed on me 15 times today (and this is after rebooting the phone at various times too). Altogether, I have had about 50 to 60 crashes in various applications since getting my phone on the 8th August a week ago. Fwiw, it has only ever been used with 2.0.1 as the first thing I did with it post-activation was update it. I feel as though I am using OS 7/8/9 again except, in spite of all the crashes, the package is simply fantastic (its my first iPhone).

As well as that, GPS has been very spotty as has been GPRS triangulation when GPS wasn't working. Contacts are slow to become 'active' for me too (the list appears quickly enough, but there is a 2 to 5 second delay before I can scroll). Wi-Fi speeds are less than stellar (2 Mbps) when I have a connection that routinely gets 7 Mbps on my iMac.

2.1 had better be one hell of an upgrade!

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2008, 12:21 PM

The contact lag is the worst part for me. SMS and Safari seem okay. JKT mentioned his 2-5 s lag while waiting to scroll or type... mine is more like 20 seconds!

Edit: I just timed it. 23 seconds!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2008, 12:48 PM

SMS can take 5 seconds or more to launch for me sometimes but the same thing happened on my old iphone with 1.1.4.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
The contact lag is the worst part for me. SMS and Safari seem okay. JKT mentioned his 2-5 s lag while waiting to scroll or type... mine is more like 20 seconds!

Edit: I just timed it. 23 seconds!
? How many contacts do you have? The lag is around 2 seconds for me. I have 213 contacts listed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules