Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sarah Palin's Yahoo! account hacked

Sarah Palin's Yahoo! account hacked (Page 2)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2008, 05:34 PM

Actually, didn't this kid say he found no evidence of that?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Actually, didn't this kid say he found no evidence of that?
Aside from the unsent draft letters to various statesmen, Palin had various other private mail accounts that were not hacked. The company that set up the government email system stated that Palin regularly used outside email accounts to correspond with several staff members.

Several ethics complaints have been filed in Alaska. Those involved in the current lawsuit against Palin have requested, under the Open Documents law, the emails she had sent. By claiming executive privilege, Palin withheld over 1100 emails.

I'd wager good money Palin is going to use a page out of Shrub's play book and "accidentally" delete those 1100 emails.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Five years for reading a couple of emails? Good grief, you can kill someone and get less than that.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So it was a prank.
BTW, it wasn't hacking (as in using a weakness of the code), AFAIK the password was reset after (correctly) answering the security questions.

It wasn't a prank. His stated intent was to search for incriminating emails and disclose them to the media so that it could damage Palin's reputation. Furthermore he posted the reset password on some internet site so that other 3rd parties could access the account and he is therefore responsible for any information that was leaked as a result of his actions.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I agree that it was pretty heinous, but doesn't the fact that it wasn't a government email account change anything? Does her being a Governor give her more protection from stuff like this or would anyone who figures out the password for someone's personal email accounts be held to this same level of punishment? That's what I want to know.

To me you have two big problems here.

Problem Number 1: This dumbass kid who wants to go all "War Games" and violated the law for internet cred. Not cool at all. He deserves to be punished. No question. How big of an idiot do you have to be to start hacking into a vice-presidentials email account? Jesus.

Problem Number 2: Why the hell is the governor of a state using a Yahoo! account to do state business? Seems very foolish and/or possibly shady.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
Oct 8, 2008, 07:48 PM

^agreed.

and the kid didn't find anything watergateish, but just the fact that the some of the emails were state business and on yahoo is not kosher.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 07:52 PM

Technically, the fact that account was compromised means we can't really trust what the contents of it were reported to be....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Technically, the fact that account was compromised means we can't really trust what the contents of it were reported to be....
Not really. Yahoo doesn't support editing old mail.
Chuck
___

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 08:26 PM

But new E-mails with forged headers can be produced, and older e-mails could have been deleted. Not sure how easy it would have been to forge receive timestamps, but I'm sure there is a way. I think with password access to an account, you could pretty much be able to change it to look just the way you wanted.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 11:12 PM

And sometimes people are given a harsher punishment because it is a high profile crime to discourage others from following in their footsteps or to make an example of them. Martha Stewart and now OJ Simpson were treated with a heavier hand than the crimes they committed really called for. This kid should be dragged through the mud to teach him a lesson. A couple weeks in jail, a few years of probation, and limiting his access to a computer is more than appropriate given the malice and intent of his crime. His dad is still a congressman so I doubt he'll be going to jail for very long.

You can bring up all the questions you want about Palin using a non-government account but since it was discovered by illegal means it may as well have never happened now. It also has nothing to do with how this kid should be punished.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 01:56 AM

Well, shouldn't we be more worried about what the vice president is doing rather than what some dumbass kid is doing? I don't really concern myself with his sentencing... but I would like to more about why she was using a yahoo! account to do government business.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 02:58 AM

You can send email with forged headers regardless of whether you have an account's password or not. I don't see how having the password to a Yahoo account would let you make someone look more guilty rather than just delete evidence.
Chuck
___

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Martha Stewart and now OJ Simpson were treated with a heavier hand than the crimes they committed really called for.
Has OJ been sentenced yet?

Forum Links
Forum Rules