Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV (Gen 2) forces user to choose between HD and SD rentals

Apple TV (Gen 2) forces user to choose between HD and SD rentals
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2010, 11:09 AM

Started using my new Apple TV yesterday. With my old Apple TV, I would rent movies for myself, my kids and my wife. Action movies I would always rent in HD, but for kids movies and things like romantic comedies I didn't see the point in spending the extra $1, so they would get rented in SD. The option to choose between SD and HD was at the point of rental.

Now, with the Apple TV Gen2, the HD/SD decision point is in the Settings. You go into Settings and toggle a switch to be able to see HD rentals. Once that switch is toggled, Apple TV will show *only* the HD rental if HD is available for the selected title. The SD option will only be shown if HD isn't available for the title.

I hate it when consumer choice is removed or made more difficult.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2010, 12:33 PM

Are you really surprised? Apple does this all the time in their obsessive attempt to make things "simple".

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2010, 01:46 PM

Nope, not surprised at all. It's interesting how "simple" also equates to more $ in sales.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2010, 02:17 PM

Pure coincidence

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2010, 04:46 PM

It's not intended to enable consumer choice. It's intended to enable Apple profits.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's not intended to enable consumer choice. It's intended to enable Apple profits.
yep

Chamomile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2010, 10:02 PM

I was just browsing this forum looking for Apple TV threads since I'm thinking about getting one for the family for Christmas.

We would probably use netflix most. Does the setting that you refer to affect netflix?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chamomile View Post
We would probably use netflix most. Does the setting that you refer to affect netflix?
No, the Netflix settings are separate.

-t

Chamomile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2010, 12:06 AM

I assumed that would be the case, but it's always better to ask. Thanks

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2010, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Started using my new Apple TV yesterday. With my old Apple TV, I would rent movies for myself, my kids and my wife. Action movies I would always rent in HD, but for kids movies and things like romantic comedies I didn't see the point in spending the extra $1, so they would get rented in SD. The option to choose between SD and HD was at the point of rental.

Now, with the Apple TV Gen2, the HD/SD decision point is in the Settings. You go into Settings and toggle a switch to be able to see HD rentals. Once that switch is toggled, Apple TV will show *only* the HD rental if HD is available for the selected title. The SD option will only be shown if HD isn't available for the title.
Really? Wow, that's utterly stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules