Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Jewish newspaper doesn't think Hilary Clinton should be in the situation room?

Jewish newspaper doesn't think Hilary Clinton should be in the situation room?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 08:18 AM

It looks like the Jewish newspaper Di Tzeitung has photoshopped Hilary Clinton out of the photo of US officials being updated on the Bin Laden raid.

Hasidic Jewish Newspaper Photoshops Hillary Clinton from Situation Room Photo - TIME NewsFeed

What possible reason could they have for doing this?

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 10, 2011, 08:26 AM

It is a Hasidic Jewish newspaper and for whatever reason their religious beliefs "prohibit taking photographs depicting women." Something about not wanting to "tempt the men sexually or some such."

Yeah, like Hilary Clinton looking at a TV screen in horror is even remotely arousing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
It is a Hasidic Jewish newspaper and for whatever reason their religious beliefs "prohibit taking photographs depicting women." Something about not wanting to "tempt the men sexually or some such."

Yeah, like Hilary Clinton looking at a TV screen in horror is even remotely arousing.
You were way more detailed than you needed to be.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 09:20 AM

That seems about as archaic as requiring women to cover their faces in public.
(cue the usual suspects who seek to conflate any criticism of Judaism with anti-semetism)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 09:23 AM

I'm sure this thread will go well.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 09:40 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 11:38 AM

I have to admit, this is fascinating:
Rosenberg, of St. Paul, Minnesota, said he wasn't surprised by the photo doctoring and only posted something about it because "it was a slow news day."

He said readers of the Yiddish-language paper used to see photos of rabbis with their wives and that there was then a time when the women were blurred. Now, they're just not there.
YHWH, Hillary Clinton and The Pwer of Phtshp - National Religion in the News | Examiner.com

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
(cue the usual suspects who seek to conflate any criticism of Judaism with anti-semetism)
JEW-HATER. allcaps

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 11:52 AM

Rome is burning but few seem to care. Slow news day, huh.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 11:58 AM

1 down, 2.5 billion to go.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Are you trying to crash this worthless thread with a worthless comment allegedly made in another Bin Laden thread?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 12:14 PM

What a cutting remark!

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Rome is burning but few seem to care. Slow news day, huh.
What would your post be if Al Jazeera was erasing women from photographs? Be honest.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 01:03 PM

Slow news day.

But I suppose it's new and noteworthy to some that there is an ultra-Orthodox minority within Judaism that would be concerned with men and women being photographed together. It just isn't very newsworthy in my opinion (the only people reading Yiddish newspapers are ultra-orthodox Jews, some of whom have their children learn Yiddish instead of modern Hebrew because they believe modern Hebrew is too profane), especially in comparison to major stories that go underreported.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 10, 2011 at 01:12 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 01:05 PM

Censorship isn't cool.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 01:11 PM

They should have just blurred her out so as not to appear to be an "authentic" photograph.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 02:02 PM

Gosh, you've seriously offended me. I'm reporting you to the secret service.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:28 PM

I'm genuinely curious about what is acceptable for religions for some people. It's quite obvious that requiring women to cover up completely when in public is unacceptable an only serves to further objectify women. That being the case, is it not just as bad to erase women from photographs? What is the message this sends?

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:31 PM

Slow news day.

But I suppose it's new and noteworthy to some that there is an ultra-Orthodox minority within Judaism that would be concerned with men and women being photographed together. It just isn't very newsworthy in my opinion (the only people reading Yiddish newspapers are ultra-orthodox Jews, some of whom have their children learn Yiddish instead of modern Hebrew because they believe modern Hebrew is too profane), especially in comparison to major stories that go underreported.
I notice you've dodged my question.

What would your post be if Al Jazeera was erasing women from photographs? Would you ignore it, or would you jump on it as another example of how sexist Islam is?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 04:04 PM

I didn't dodge your question. That's why I started out that reply with the following line as my response to that hypothetical: "Slow news day." I wouldn't care much more about Al Jazeera doing that than a Yiddish newspaper. I don't watch or read either. You're asking me if there would be an inconsistency in my stance, and I can tell you truthfully there wouldn't be.

There are some parallels between ultra-religious Jews and ultra-religious Muslims regarding women. (There are many parallels between Judaism and Islam generally speaking because a large portion of Islam is derived from Judaism, and they're both middle eastern religions.) Both believe women should serve in traditional female roles. Both believe women should be modestly dressed, although Jews don't take it to the extremes Muslims do. Orthodox Jews believe women should cover their hair (at least married women) and dress in modest clothing with high tops and long skirts, but there is no parallel in Judaism to the full-body covering Muslim chador or burka.

I don't hate Islam. Far from it - it's one of the world's great faiths and a valid path to G-d for those who practice it. There is a lot of truth and nobility in many of its teachings. But I hate the radical/terroristic Muslim mindset and its attendant conequences that, evidence indicates, is in part a corruption of true Islamic teachings. (And I say in part because part of Islam does promote hatred and violence, but there are also other parts that are misinterpreted or taken out of context and don't justify the hatred that radical Muslims think they do.)
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 10, 2011 at 05:07 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What a cutting remark!
I feel like how a man probably feels the first time he sees a little baby head pop out of a dilated vagina...pride. I feel pride.
Assuming it's his, etc. etc.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I feel like how a man probably feels the first time he sees a little baby head pop out of a dilated vagina...pride. I feel pride.
I probably used it improperly, as I rather enjoyed olePigeon's comment. But then again, I've been known to push the envelope when it comes to phraseology.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2011, 04:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that comment was designed entirely for the context of improper usage.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 06:12 PM

I didn't dodge your question. That's why I started out that reply with the following line as my response to that hypothetical: "Slow news day." I wouldn't care much more about Al Jazeera doing that than a Yiddish newspaper. I don't watch or read either. You're asking me if there would be an inconsistency in my stance, and I can tell you truthfully there wouldn't be.

There are some parallels between ultra-religious Jews and ultra-religious Muslims regarding women. (There are many parallels between Judaism and Islam generally speaking because a large portion of Islam is derived from Judaism, and they're both middle eastern religions.) Both believe women should serve in traditional female roles. Both believe women should be modestly dressed, although Jews don't take it to the extremes Muslims do. Orthodox Jews believe women should cover their hair (at least married women) and dress in modest clothing with high tops and long skirts, but there is no parallel in Judaism to the full-body covering Muslim chador or burka.

I don't hate Islam. Far from it - it's one of the world's great faiths and a valid path to G-d for those who practice it. There is a lot of truth and nobility in many of its teachings. But I hate the radical/terroristic Muslim mindset and its attendant conequences that, evidence indicates, is in part a corruption of true Islamic teachings. (And I say in part because part of Islam does promote hatred and violence, but there are also other parts that are misinterpreted or taken out of context and don't justify the hatred that radical Muslims think they do.)
Thanks. A very nice response. I've also noticed the similarities between Judaism and Islam.

reader50
Administrator
May 10, 2011, 06:15 PM

It looks like the Jewish newspaper Di Tzeitung has photoshopped Hilary Clinton out of the photo of US officials being updated on the Bin Laden raid.
What possible reason could they have for doing this?
They're not a newspaper, so it's not important.

A real newspaper does not doctor photos. Once you cross that line, pretty soon you edit quotes for clarity or to remove the bad parts. Then you edit story facts for more pleasant reading, or make them more dramatic to sell more copies.

Once a paper posts fiction, they are no longer a newspaper.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks. A very nice response. I've also noticed the similarities between Judaism and Islam.
Thank you for the compliment. There are indeed a surprising number of parallels in many areas between the two religions and cultures.

It's also surprising to see the number of words Arabic borrowed from ancient Hebrew (and modern Hebrew has borrowed some newer words from Arabic in turn). If not for the fact that Islam has an extreme supersessionist orientation, Jewish and Muslim relations would be far stronger.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 10, 2011 at 06:32 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 09:12 PM

To add to this,
99% of Muslims that you'll meet in every day life are totally opposed to war at all, much less what the extremist sects preach. I don't necessarily agree that parts of Islam promote hate though; I'd say that it promotes fear of those who aren't a part of the "People of the Book;" IE, Christians, Muslims, and Jews. Christians and Muslims have quite a few similarities, and under governments that promote religious accommodation can quite easily live peaceful lives together. The disconnect is when you have a prevailing oppressive ideology being pushed down on you.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2011, 09:53 PM

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2011, 10:05 PM

I hope Abercrombie follows suit and starts censoring their advertisements.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 07:12 AM

2 sides of the same coin. They are more alike then apart.

Thank you for the compliment. There are indeed a surprising number of parallels in many areas between the two religions and cultures.

It's also surprising to see the number of words Arabic borrowed from ancient Hebrew (and modern Hebrew has borrowed some newer words from Arabic in turn). If not for the fact that Islam has an extreme supersessionist orientation, Jewish and Muslim relations would be far stronger.
I would say both sides have extremest that need to go for strong relations.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2011, 12:58 AM

Lego isn't sexist.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2011, 12:28 PM

I'd hit it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Lego isn't sexist.
Is that 'Frobama?

Forum Links
Forum Rules