Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iOS 7 - Who's waiting and who can't wait?

iOS 7 - Who's waiting and who can't wait? (Page 5)
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 08:47 PM

Old apps which do things like use the original keyboard look very creaky.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
^^ This.

It should be noted first that most people are -- "normal" and I as a fellow normal person feel that Windows 95 wants their clip art back. I mean honestly, I'm nearly certain had we been working with the interface of iOS 7 and moved back to iOS 6 as the upgrade, the more sunshiny "Apple can do no wrong" types would be heralding the new look and most normal people would've likely appreciated it as well.

Where it deserves props is in its improved functionality and for that I welcome the change. Because after all, upgrades and improvements are welcome changes. The appearance of the interface is not an upgrade and with people like subego reporting sluggishness and missing "touches", it's no wonder normal people might be looking for ways to force-quit applications.
This.

I'm not anti-change (or at least i don't think I am). I loved the change when Apple moved from OS9 to OSX (despite missing some aspects of OS9... maybe it was just nostalgia).

But with iOS, i do not like this particular change. I would be uncomfortable looking at that constantly throughout the day (it is a phone, after all). It's just garish. (Mind you, i think the animations are great and the OS 'flows' and moves much better (not withstanding the sluggishness)).

It would be like having a new car which drives great and has better control than last year's model, but the only paint job available on the new model is multi-colored polka dots. (At least with paint jobs you can change it).

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
it is a phone, after all
It hasn't been a phone, in the traditional sense of the word, in years. People continue to call these things phones for lack of a better convention. What they really are are portable miniature computers that happen to have the ability to make voice connections.

I, like many others, use my "phone" for many things, the vast majority of which have nothing to do with making calls. If we'd name the device by the heaviest use, mine would be a "camera/email"machine.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2013, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
It hasn't been a phone, in the traditional sense of the word, in years. People continue to call these things phones for lack of a better convention. What they really are are portable miniature computers that happen to have the ability to make voice connections.

I, like many others, use my "phone" for many things, the vast majority of which have nothing to do with making calls. If we'd name the device by the heaviest use, mine would be a "camera/email"machine.
Sure. My point is that we constantly interact with the device while looking at it throughout the day.

As you pointed out its more than just a phone, which only makes it more poignant.(looking at it for many other things as well, not just phone calls).

For me, if i have to look at something so often, it better be easy on the eyes if im not getting paid for it.(which is why i can tolerate windows for 8 hours a day ).

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2013, 03:03 AM

I wonder how you'd all feel if the manufacturer of your car came to your house overnight and spray painted it hot pink.

Change is good, right?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2013, 05:59 AM

I'm certainly not a fan of many iOS 7 changes that seem to make it less visually intuitive, but I think we can agree that it's somewhat more than a spray-paint, can't we?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 30, 2013, 07:45 AM

Okay, spray paint and spinning rims.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2013, 08:02 AM

I'm waiting, I don't want to lose my jailbreak. Most features that I get by jailbreaking are in iOS 7; I'm unsure about the Cellular Data option in Settings/General/Cellular. I need to have access to that because I use an MVNO for my cell service. Sure, I could do a sim-swap but that's a pain if the phone happens to lose the correct settings when I don't have a T-Mobile sim (and it's happened).

I also enjoy:

-tethering
-5 icon dock
-Forecast, which shows the weather in place of the clock on the lock screen
-Folder Closer - automatically close a folder after you open an app; I hate it when you close an app and you're returned to the home screen with an open folder.

Probably a few others, too. I'm in no hurry.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2013, 11:37 AM

Well, I've spent the past couple of days with iOS7, and overall I am happy.
It's on a 4S, and after turning half the crap off (Siri, Location Services for most apps, Turned off Notifications for most things) it is very smooth and fun to use. The battery is taking a beating though, even with the adjustments to brightness, turning push off, etc.

The coolest facet is the interface - it is very slick, I love the parallax effect too.

The notification center could use some work. I prefer the older single line of dense information versus the new 'you're a dumb 5 year old' style. Weather & stocks are a nightmare now. I have to slide to another screen to see missed emails. WTF. Keep it simple, not retarded.

And damn - the color palette and those frickin icons have to go. It's hideous and hurts the eyes. Light gray text on a white keyboard? Are you effin kidding me?!? Steve Jobs is going to rise from the grave just to bitch slap Sir Ives. He deserves it. and more.

Anyhoo. I love it overall, hate the color and icons. Cheers.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Let me know if Costco worked. That would be sweet.

-t
No such luck. It did not automatically appear on my lock screen, the guy in the wheel chair at the door insisted on seeing the actual card (he did say it was a silly rule though), and the cashier had no way to scan the bar code so she had to swipe the actual card too. Oh well.

OAW

finboy
Sep 30, 2013, 02:13 PM

OK, so we're a week in. I can't remember if I already posted about this, but I replaced the battery in my iPhone 4 last week and upgraded to 7 at almost the same time.

I really like the new look, but the constant white backlight everywhere is annoying. I guess there's no way to have one without the other. Also the new interface seems much harder to read when I'm outside, even inverted.

After turning everything off and even inverting the colors, I'm only getting 4-5 hours of use between charges, with maybe 12-16 hours of standby. Basically what I had before with the 14-month-old battery and IOS 6.

Is there a chance that the new OS is designed to prompt those with older phones to trade up? Who knows.

BTW I saw an iPhone 2 or 3 the other day, a really old one so probably a 2, that was used for a conference call for 1.5 hours in a meeting. I was simply amazed. There's NO WAY my iPhone would ever last that long without a wall wart.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2013, 04:57 PM

Janky Safari text input comes back. Yuck.

Cold Warrior
Oct 1, 2013, 08:36 PM

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2013, 10:07 AM

Yeah, it really is pretty janky on iOS 7.

Also, I updated my iPad 2, and while overall the experience is just fine, some of the non-retina thin fonts look really really bad.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

P
Oct 2, 2013, 10:17 AM

There is a setting in Accessibility to make them one notch bolder. The name is "make text bold" or something like that, but what it really does is move from the usual light weight to regular/book.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Great article. Also I hate those dialogs with a passion. Inefficient.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There is a setting in Accessibility to make them one notch bolder. The name is "make text bold" or something like that, but what it really does is move from the usual light weight to regular/book.
Yeah, I might end up doing that. I turned it on on my phone just to check it out and it looks pretty ugly.

I'm not really too worried about it. This is mostly my kids iPad at this point.

The fonts that are full sized look decent enough... it's the ones that are a little smaller in size that look like ass.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2013, 06:57 PM

I'm beginning to get the suspicion there's not quite enough RAM for iOS 7. Safari reloads a lot of pages it shouldn't be.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm beginning to get the suspicion there's not quite enough RAM for iOS 7. Safari reloads a lot of pages it shouldn't be.
I noticed that, too. Especially when you swipe back, I sometimes get a delay lasting many seconds. Quite irritating.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2013, 12:43 AM

I've had to reinstitute the "copy your entire post" policy before opening a new window, and putting in links (along with other copypasta) in an edit.

mindwaves
Oct 7, 2013, 01:00 AM

I saw my friend with her 4S or 4 using iOS 7. HUGE lag doing anything. It should not be supported on such devices. There is even a noticeable lag on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3, both with newish processors.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2013, 01:04 AM

I'm going to guess (hope) this is part of an overall "half-baked" phenomenon. Apple has zero problem saying hardware isn't up to snuff and forcing you to buy new hardware.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 7, 2013, 10:28 AM

I'm going to guess (hope) this is part of an overall "half-baked" phenomenon. Apple has zero problem saying hardware isn't up to snuff and forcing you to buy new hardware.
I think it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If they didn't support iOS 7 on the 4/4s, you know people would be screaming about Apple forcing people to upgrade just to get the new OS. I much prefer this setup, though I'm surprised Apple did it, as particular as they are about "user experience" and as often as they stop supporting hardware for their desktop OSes.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I saw my friend with her 4S or 4 using iOS 7. HUGE lag doing anything. It should not be supported on such devices. There is even a noticeable lag on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3, both with newish processors.
I have a 4S and I have zero lag in anything, in fact, I've delayed getting a new phone because I'm so impressed with iOS7 on the 4S. But I do have Siri turned off, and push turned off, plus a lot of trimming in location services on a 32GB model.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 08:01 PM

I'm going to tentatively say 7.0.3 isn't quite the battery hog compared to its forebearers.

Cold Warrior
Oct 23, 2013, 08:27 PM

The 'reduce motion' setting goes further than before. A lot of the animations are now gone and you get this nice fade effect.

mindwaves
Oct 24, 2013, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The 'reduce motion' setting goes further than before. A lot of the animations are now gone and you get this nice fade effect.
Yes, I enabled this after reading your post. Much better.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2013, 05:00 AM

Reduce motion is much better now. It must be pissing off the UI dept at Apple who coded all the animation stuff, just for us to turn it off )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Reduce motion is much better now. It must be pissing off the UI dept at Apple who coded all the animation stuff, just for us to turn it off )
yes, I'm sure a lot of work went into it. I just turned it off myself in hopes of saving a little extra battery life. It was fun while it lasted, especially with certain pictures.

Too bad the icons and colors suck - except for the Settings icon (the gears): During the recent update, I noticed the gears actually spinning during the process, which I thought was a neat little thing. Maybe it always did that, I don't know. Meth is a helluva drug.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2013, 09:14 AM

Apple's revenge for me not upgrading is settings forever has an update badge and the app store forever thinks there's apps to update. Dicks.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2013, 09:45 AM

There should be a way of ignoring updates, I recall for years looking at that one pending update. I still twitch in horror.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Apple's revenge for me not upgrading is settings forever has an update badge and the app store forever thinks there's apps to update. Dicks.
Thankfully, there's an in Cydia that deletes the badge. One of the benefits of jailbreaking.

But for some reason, the App Store seems to constantly have a badge indicating there's an update. When I launch the app, there are no updates. Just started about a week ago.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Maybe it always did that, I don't know.

It did always do that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2013, 12:33 PM

Never did that to me on an iDevice, but has definitely happened in iTunes on my Mac.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2013, 12:45 PM

"Gears Spinning Animation" Update iOS 6 beta 2 - YouTube

Maybe it was in iOS 6 and beyond. I dunno, but it did do it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2013, 12:54 PM

Ah ha - If I recall, all my past iOS updates were via iTunes, not directly, so I would've never seen the gears spinning.

I've given in to reckless abandon this year by doing the updates directly on the phone.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2013, 03:41 PM

I'm going to tentatively say 7.0.3 isn't quite the battery hog compared to its forebearers.
Or not. I'm getting my usual 10% an hour now.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2013, 04:17 PM

I feel like I'm one of only about a half-dozen people on the internet who love Apple's new UI direction. iOS 7 looks and feels awesome. Mavericks is the next level of slick. Clean. Modern. Gimme more.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2013, 04:31 PM

I like it too, everything but a few of the icons gets a big thumbs up from me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2013, 04:33 PM

I more or less like it. It's the half-baked, glitchy parts which irk me.

Safari is a memory hog.
Quadruple tap broken.
Text selection in general is janky.
Double-tap to back out of emoji.
Particle engine gets janky after awhile.

Stuff like that.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2013, 04:41 PM

I more or less like it. It's the half-baked, glitchy parts which irk me.

Safari is a memory hog.
Quadruple tap broken.
Text selection in general is janky.
Double-tap to back out of emoji.
Particle engine gets janky after awhile.

Stuff like that.
Agreed that there is some wonkiness under the gloss. The new tabbed Finder implementation is complete bollocks, for example. Mostly on the OS X side. My only complaint with iOS (aside from items on my wish list that just haven't been implemented) is the abysmal battery life, but I can live with it and it's far outweighed by all of the positives.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2013, 04:51 PM

Yes, it is buggy as all hell. Major step backwards in that department.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I feel like I'm one of only about a half-dozen people on the internet who love Apple's new UI direction. iOS 7 looks and feels awesome. Mavericks is the next level of slick. Clean. Modern. Gimme more.
Nah, you're one of the vast majority who either like it or don't care.

Normal people only post on the internet if they have something to complain or vent about.

Cold Warrior
Oct 25, 2013, 07:25 PM

I love it, but you (subego) are definitely right about text selection. Janky indeed.

andi*pandi
Oct 28, 2013, 12:56 AM

I did not know Microsoft Word could do half these things (nor would I try) but this is interesting:

Was iOS 7 created in Microsoft Word? - YouTube

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2013, 06:48 AM

The same tools seen in the Word video are available in Power Point, and I've used some of those tricks with Power Point to make some pretty complex (not as complex as the iOS 7 icons!) graphics. I created a number of training products that featured very large versions of a bunch of forms, tags and other management documents, all in Power Point. Between my OCD and the quality of the tools in Power Point, I fooled a lot of people into thinking I got original graphics from the forms' originators...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I did not know Microsoft Word could do half these things (nor would I try) but this is interesting:

Was iOS 7 created in Microsoft Word? - YouTube
That proves that Microsoft is the work of the devil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules