Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Could someone do me a favour and dial an 888 number for me?

Could someone do me a favour and dial an 888 number for me?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 11:02 AM

I received a telephone message yesterday from someone asking me to call them back at an 888 number. Tried calling them, but apparently the number isn't available in my area (not very bright on their part). I've been getting alot of these messages lately; they only call during the day, when I'm at work. I'd like to call them back to find out why they're so insistent on contacting me.

There's someone out there with the same name as me (or is using my name) who appears to own alot of money to several collection agencies, and I've been contacted by these agencies in the past. Fortunately, the person using my name isn't using my birth date or social insurance number so it's fairly easy for me to convince these agencies that I'm not the guy they're looking for. I'm suspecting that this 888 number is a collection agency, since they usually seem to call me around this time of year.

If someone is willing, could you try to call this number, 1-888-626-3876, and let me know the name of the company that it goes to?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 11:14 AM

I dialed it. It's a company that is soliciting people to buy 800 numbers. Tried to look it up via Lexis Nexis and found nothing about it. It's a front for another company spamming. When you call it it directs you to another number.

In short, it's spam.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 11:20 AM

Thanks Cody! I also tried looking it up on various 1-8xx search engines with no luck. If it wasn't for the potential issue of identity theft, I wouldn't have even bothered with it.

Much appreciation! And, many appologies for sending you in the direction of spam

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 11:40 AM

It's okay. I was safe. I blocked my number.

Forum Links
Forum Rules