Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Official Tour de France Thread 2005™

The Official Tour de France Thread 2005™
Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 08:26 AM

Once again the teams are rolling into France and I thought I should plant a "seed".

Where I live we typically don't get much coverage, though this year we will finally be getting a live feed. So does anyone have any advance news? Who's hot, who's not?

One I got is that LA is not as prepared as he usually is. Could 6 be his limit?

And if I could ask one thing for this thread. This thread is about the race. If you want to talk about who is potential drug cheat could we try and keep it short and civil, or possibly even start "The Official XXXX is a cheating bastard thread 2005™".

Hoping for a good ride this year.....

( Last edited by Ω; Jul 14, 2005 at 11:31 PM. )
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 08:46 AM

Shouldn't that be "Tour de Freedom™"?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 09:58 AM

I've been reading the cycling rags and Lance says he's in shape and ready to go. He recently crashed on a training ride according to Velo News and split his helmet and has a black eye and some bumps and bruises but is going to be racing come Saturday.

Also you can get live streams from olntv.com

I think he's going to win #7 because he's built the best team over the years and consistantly has one if not THE best teams.

It's going to be an exciting 3 weeks. I think if he does win it the Last couple of days of the tour are going to be the Farewell to Lance ride to Paris. He's got some good competition this year though.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 10:02 AM

I'll be watching.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 06:00 PM

i will be watching, go lance!!!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 06:27 PM

What's the coverage look like this year? Last year OLN was pretty good, and I think the networks had some of it on the weekends. Where should I point my Tivo to?

ImpulseResponse

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 28, 2005, 06:48 PM

Oui, lance Armstrong, je vous espère victoire ceci encore pour la septième fois pour la poste des Etats-Unis ! Dieu Vous bénissent Lance Armstrong ! Vous êtes impressionnant. J'ai juste pensé que je dirais ceci dans la langue stupide du Français.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:50 PM

We have powned the Tour De Frenchies 6 times in the row! It should be called the Tour De Freedom.

spank you very much.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Shouldn't that be "Tour de Freedom™"?
Nope, I believe it has now been officially named "Tour de Lance™"

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
We have powned the Tour De Frenchies 6 times in the row! It should be called the Tour De Freedom.

spank you very much.
Certain spiteful, jealous people couldn't even stop him from winning, even by cheating and spitting on Lance last year.

I wonder what genius plans they have in store this time ?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 06:54 PM

they are running a bunch of tv shows about lance and the tour on discovery...last night i watched one on "the science of lance armstrong" - that guy is a freak of nature. you know what i mean if you have seen it.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

budster101
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:55 PM

Saw that show, just before "American Chopper" Where they build the Lance Bike. Nice bike.

Pachead: Right on!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 07:33 PM

Saw that show, just before "American Chopper" Where they build the Lance Bike. Nice bike.

Pachead: Right on!

have you seen that commerical where the guys from american copper redo lances road bike? pretty funny

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 07:49 PM

Who thinks Lance is a juicer?

ImpulseResponse

ambush
Banned
Jun 28, 2005, 08:19 PM

Oui, lance Armstrong, je vous espère victoire ceci encore pour la septième fois pour la poste des Etats-Unis ! Dieu Vous bénissent Lance Armstrong ! Vous êtes impressionnant. J'ai juste pensé que je dirais ceci dans la langue stupide du Français.
that has to be the worst French I've read in my life. Congrats

budster101
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 09:31 PM

Thank You!
Bonne Nuit.

Lance = Juicer (No)

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 12:31 AM

Horrible French...haha.

Lance Armstrong isn't riding for the US Postal Service this year. He is actually riding for Team Discovery.

http://team.discovery.com/

budster101
Baninated
Jun 29, 2005, 12:34 AM

Awesome! I remember when he couldn't get a sponsor after his Cancer, and the Post Office gave him a shot, but hey, Discovery is cool too.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 08:19 AM

Lance Armstrong: Hey, aren't you Peter La Fleur?
Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong!
Lance Armstrong: Ya, that's me. But I'm a big fan of yours.
Peter La Fleur: Really?
Lance Armstrong: Ya, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it. Good luck in the tournament. I'm really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo Gym. I think you better hurry up or you're gonna be late.
Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance.
Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying of that's keeping you from the finals?
Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame.
Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't anything to regret for the rest of their life. Well good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
What's the coverage look like this year? Last year OLN was pretty good, and I think the networks had some of it on the weekends. Where should I point my Tivo to?
Looks like it's going to be on OLN again this year. I believe Discovery owns them as well so it would only be fitting that it would be on one of the many Discovery stations. I would check your local listings though.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
Who thinks Lance is a juicer?
I don't think so. He's probably the most tested cyclist if not the most tested Athlete in the world. They can do Random test anytime, anyplace. There was also a 2 year investigation by the French and they also found nothing. I'm sure if Lance was on the juice we would have heard about it by now. Unless he's on something they don't have a test for but I doubt it. Why would he want to ruin such an amazing legacy.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 08:41 PM

It is amusing to see the liberal use of the 'WE won' when somebody ELSE they do not even know has actually won.... It must them feel good about themselves or something : easier that way than actually going out and winning i guess...

Regarding Lance, of course he is juiced, there is no other way around it. But that is beyond the point, since they all are. Doping has been a plague on the Tour de France since the 60's. It has not magically disappeared, and probably won't. It is always a step ahead of control. Once again it is beyond the point, Lance has been in the last years the most consistent, the better surrounded, and has shown in his last 2 Tours a lot of panache and pride. The Tour de France is one of the most amazing show of pure athleticism, all that with landscapes of France in the background. Doesn't get much better than that.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 29, 2005, 10:41 PM

Lance is NOT juiced. I remember they had him extensively tested one year or even two. He's clean.

Quit spreading lies.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 07:43 AM

Lance is NOT juiced. I remember they had him extensively tested one year or even two. He's clean.

Quit spreading lies.
Yeah he is.

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 07:49 AM

Until he is proved to be a juicer I am going to assume that he is legit. Mainly because of the implications that it would have on the sport - effectively making the TdF a sham for the last 6 years.

I want to believe.......

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 08:19 AM

Has Lance won yet?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 08:30 AM

What is so exciting about a bunch of guys cycling? Do you guys think race walking is exciting as well?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Sealobo
Jun 30, 2005, 09:24 AM

Lance is still riding?! omg... this man is made of steel.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo
Lance is still riding?! omg... this man is made of steel.
Oh the humour...

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

budster101
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 09:58 AM

If he is guilty of blood doping, why did he donate a large sum of money out of his own pocket to help combat it?

It was UCI President Hein Verbruggen who first told us of Armstrong's contribution a few years ago:

"He gave money for the research against doping, to discover new anti-doping methods," Verbruggen told us. "He gave money from his private funds, cash. He didn't want this to be known but he did it".

When we quizzed Armstrong, he confirmed Verbruggen's story.

"This is not my position or my modus operandi to advertise what I do," the 33-year old Texan told us.

"So, if I've done money to the UCI to combat doping, step up controls and to fund research, it is not my job to issue a press release. That's a secret thing, because it's the right thing to do."

Armstrong announced his retirement at the end of this year on Monday, the same day that Hamilton's two-year sentence was confirmed for homologous blood doping, i.e. illegal blood transfusions.

The popular rider from Marblehead, Massachusetts, was the first professional cyclist ever to test positive under a new detection method that the UCI helped fund and a part of this money came from Lance Armstrong.

"WE ALL HAVE TO BE INVOLVED"

Armstrong told us of his pain when he saw the sport's name tainted in the 1998 Tour de France doping scandal.

"Doping has existed for ever. It did not start in 1998. It has existed since the first Olympics and probably even before. There was always a way to go faster. And doping will never go away. So this is an ongoing process and an ongoing fight. I think we all have to be involved, either trough our words or actions or funding.

"I am not the type of person that likes to get up and say in the newspaper: 'Our sport is dirty, everybody is cheating.' This is the sport that I love more than anything, the sport that feeds my children. Why would I stand up and say that?

"There are other avenues to combat doping, versus trashing the sport and its players, and sponsors and spectators. It's been the road that I chose. Maybe I'm right, Maybe I'm wrong, but... "

Both the UCI and Armstrong remain tight-lipped over the amount given by the Texan:

"(Laughter) It was a fair amount. It wasn't.. It wasn't a small amount of money".
Allegations by jealous inferior competitors without sources is just stupid and ugly.source

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos
Yeah he is.
Like I said before I don't think he is and until it's proven with hard facts He's not. Lance is probably the most tested Cyclist in the sport. If he was on the juice don't you think it would have come up by now? You can only hide it for so long. The French authorities had a 2+ year probe on him and found NOTHING. Lance is clean until proven otherwise. I don't think he would do anything to tarnish his legacy in the Tour. HIS favorite Race.

I think many are just jealous that some cocky Texan from the "evil United States" has come in and for the last 6 years Kicked their butts from one end of France to the other.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo
Lance is still riding?! omg... this man is made of steal.
Fixed by MOS.®

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 07:58 PM

Lol this has nothing to do with him coming form the US or not. Indurain was juiced just as well, known as the guy 'who could ride up the slope while smiling'... C'mon people, look at the history fof the race and the way all riders are so much quicker than they used to be. I understand that they are better prepared, but that cannot explain everything. Hiding doping is feasible and is done. You guys really think that professional football players are not on drugs???????? C'mon, wake up people.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
have you seen that commerical where the guys from american copper redo lances road bike? pretty funny
SHUT IT! (I loved that one.)

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2005, 09:25 PM

not sure if the dude is on anything, there's not evidence that he is and a lot of evidence that he is not, and i'd really love to believe that he's not, but: is it really possible that a guy who is clean is seriously whipping a bunch of dudes who are confirmed juicers?

this is the only thing that makes me wonder. if everyone was clean then a sweep like lance has had would just be awesome, but to get the same results while at the huge disadvantage of being drug free??? if he is clean, he must be an f@<#ing animal.

anyway, i'm looking forward to it and hope it'll be a good 'un. jealous as hell cos one of my friends is skiving off for two weeks of following the tour and lounging around vineyards. sweet

sminch

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by sminch
anyway, i'm looking forward to it and hope it'll be a good 'un. jealous as hell cos one of my friends is skiving off for two weeks of following the tour and lounging around vineyards. sweet

sminch

wish i could to that too!!!!!!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos
Lol this has nothing to do with him coming form the US or not. Indurain was juiced just as well, known as the guy 'who could ride up the slope while smiling'... C'mon people, look at the history fof the race and the way all riders are so much quicker than they used to be. I understand that they are better prepared, but that cannot explain everything. Hiding doping is feasible and is done. You guys really think that professional football players are not on drugs???????? C'mon, wake up people.
C'mon people, look at the history fof the race and the way all riders are so much quicker than they used to be. I understand that they are better prepared, but that cannot explain everything.
It can explain a lot of it. Dopers in sports eventually get caught. I think after the Years Lance has been in Cycling they would have found something if he was on something.

Well considering in Cycling they test probably more than in any other sport unless they have some unknown drug that can be masked that they haven't discovered yet then maybe.

Riders are test randomly, and Lance as well as many other top cyclists are test anytime any place. IF he was on something I'm sure they would have found it by now. 2 years of investigation by French authorities and nothing? I'm sure they would have found something by now. You can only mask a drug for so long.

Why do people think that EXCELLENT training and preparation can't acheive what Lance has in the tour? He is obssesed with the tour and does things most riders/teams don't do. He basically pre-rides the course when the course is annouced then he re-rides it again and does certain stages to scout out the terrain and course. I think his training for the tour has more to do with his excellence than doping.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 1, 2005, 09:50 AM

Would A guy who is doping do this?

It was UCI President Hein Verbruggen who first told us of Armstrong's contribution a few years ago:

"He gave money for the research against doping, to discover new anti-doping methods," Verbruggen told us. "He gave money from his private funds, cash. He didn't want this to be known but he did it".

When we quizzed Armstrong, he confirmed Verbruggen's story.

"This is not my position or my modus operandi to advertise what I do," the 33-year old Texan told us.

"So, if I've done money to the UCI to combat doping, step up controls and to fund research, it is not my job to issue a press release. That's a secret thing, because it's the right thing to do."

Armstrong announced his retirement at the end of this year on Monday, the same day that Hamilton's two-year sentence was confirmed for homologous blood doping, i.e. illegal blood transfusions.

The popular rider from Marblehead, Massachusetts, was the first professional cyclist ever to test positive under a new detection method that the UCI helped fund and a part of this money came from Lance Armstrong.

Ω  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 10:05 AM

You have already posted that, and it is hardly proof that he does not take drugs. It does make t seem more likely he is clean, but it does not prove he is clean.

It's almost a catch-22 situation. It is easier to prove that someone is a drug taker, than is not.

As I said for the sake of the sport I am sticking to clean.......until proven guilty

budster101
Baninated
Jul 1, 2005, 10:08 AM

They tested the guy, he's two riders in one when it comes to Oxygen Uptake, Volume of Blood Pumped per minute, Lactic Acid Buildup in his muscles (reduced severely). He can just go farther with less, faster than anyone. It's a physiological proven fact. He doesn't need to blood dope because his body does it naturally....

Nothing to prove. Done.

jcain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by typoon
Also you can get live streams from olntv.com
Does anyone have a link for this? I browsed around olntv.com a little bit and found a TV broadcast schedule but nothing about live streams. Will it show up when the race actually starts, or is it there already and I'm just blind?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2005, 09:51 PM

No easing up for Lance Armstrong in his last Tour de France.

Armstrong took a huge step toward winning his seventh consecutive Tour on the very first day of the three-week race. He crushed his main rivals in an opening time trial Saturday, opening up early time gaps that may be big enough to carry him through to victory at the finish in Paris on July 24.

"I was hungry today,'' said Armstrong, who is 33 and has said he will retire after this year's Tour. ``I didn't come to ride a retirement race. I came to win.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug...v=ap&type=lgns

not bad, if he wouldn't have started off bad i think he may have won the stage. i'm kind of glad he didnt though. go lance!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 10:38 PM

I don't know if Lance juices but his extensive testing would seem to make it less likely that he does than many other riders.

Echoing someone's post above. Lance is obsessed with the Tour De France. He trains and prepares specifically to do well in that one particular race (and fails to win many, many of the other races and the overall world rankings). There are a lot of other bike races in the course of a year ... he just owns that particular one.

Check the historical rankings , Lance has been a consistent Top-10 ranked cyclist but has never been the number 1 cyclist in the world. His best showing was a #2 ranking in 2002 (and 4 and 3 2000 and 2001) but most of his carreer has been in the 7th or 8th slot. Lance does NOT dominate world cycling in general in the same way he's dominated the Tour De France in particular. Actually, thinking about it, this lends credence to the notion he doesn't juice ... otherwise, wouldn't he just win everything all the time ? If you look at the individual and by-country rankings at the bottom of the page, its clear that Italy, France, and Spain still dominate the sport with other European nations following on their heels.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2005, 11:36 PM

i'm sure if he trained for other races he could win those as well. he saves himself for the tour...those other races are just training for the tour. and since he is on a team he isn't always the guy who goes for the win. he may very well not be the best cyclist in the world, but he owns the tour and that is the race of races and what most people care about. he doesn't juice, he just knows how to win the tour...i wonder sometimes if other cyclists couldn't do as good as lance if they had the money and technology that he has.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty
I don't know if Lance juices but his extensive testing would seem to make it less likely that he does than many other riders.
He has the second highest VO2Max ever recorded and an inhuman lactate threshold. He is, literally, a genetic freak.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jul 3, 2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by jcain
Does anyone have a link for this? I browsed around olntv.com a little bit and found a TV broadcast schedule but nothing about live streams. Will it show up when the race actually starts, or is it there already and I'm just blind?
I'd like to echo this query. My stinkin' cable company doesn't carry OLN, so I was counting on OLN's live streams (and archived streams) like I have in past years.

But I can't find a link to any streams this year, live or otherwise, so if anyone else has info, it'd be much appreciated.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 11:44 AM

I believe that Lance is one of those rare humans who is genetically stronger than the rest of us. He has been extensively tested and is always clean. I thought I was a cynic, but even I believe in giving credit where credit is due.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

budster101
Baninated
Jul 3, 2005, 12:17 PM

The guy CRUSHED cancer. Once you beat that beast, you can conquer any hill in France.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 3, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett
He has the second highest VO2Max ever recorded and an inhuman lactate threshold. He is, literally, a genetic freak.
Who has the highest VO2max?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 06:10 PM

Stage 2 "king of the mountain' portion was kinda exciting...

although it was only a class 4 hill..
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules