Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Swastika shaped structures in San Diego

Swastika shaped structures in San Diego
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 05:57 PM

Not meant to be political, just interesting
Swastika buildings

Wonder if this was intentional or purely accidental? They even got the angle right, with relation to the polar axis, for the Nazi representation of the swastika.

Kevin
Baninated
May 16, 2006, 06:00 PM

That's nuthin

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 06:04 PM

Former (they changed it about a year ago or so) logo of the biggest Icelandic shipping company:

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 06:08 PM

I think the San Diego swastika looks like an accident, considering they don't actually come together at the middle. The shadows are pretty harsh and highlight the swastikal (new word) nature of it.

The architect probably wanted to create a way of maximizing the building space and green space at the same time. L shaped structures help that. And it's natural to have them kind of rotate like that.

Now, the pentagram in Washington, D.C. was intentional, by the accounts I've heard. Washington was a unique opportunity to design a city from scratch, and there are some other Masonic symbols that can be found throughout.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
That's nuthin
I'm almost disappointed that it's not a perfect pentagram (not because I want the White House at the head of a perfect pentagram, but just because I love proportional relationships).

Any significance about the location in the White House that is at the head of the pentagram? It's interesting that it's slightly off-centre

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 06:16 PM

This entire area is weird as f*ck. What is this? Looks like a bunch of boats arranged in a pattern, and each one of them has a small white thing next to it. Why??

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 06:18 PM

This guy is making figure eights.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
This entire area is weird as f*ck. What is this? Looks like a bunch of boats arranged in a pattern, and each one of them has a small white thing next to it. Why??
Looks like a marina to me

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 06:22 PM

If it's a marina, how do they get to the boats? There are no walkways.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 06:27 PM

You take a small boat out to off shore marinas.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
You take a small boat out to off shore marinas.
Not really a marina anymore.

It's simply people's moorings in the harbor.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Not really a marina anymore.

It's simply people's moorings in the harbor.
True. Though here it is quite organized

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 06:37 PM

Take another look at the first link: It looks like the two sets of buildings to the southwest are shaped like airplanes (in brackets) heading to bomb the swastika building.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Take another look at the first link: It looks like the two sets of buildings to the southwest are shaped like airplanes (in brackets) heading to bomb the swastika building.
Even more interesting, according to Google Earth, this is a naval base. Though, according to Wikipedia, the building in question predates WWII

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 06:59 PM

Looks like a standard marina to me. They "park" their boats in high water because it is too shallow near the port, so they get there in lighter boats, like zodiaks. The white thing beside them is a pole to attach them, and to reserve your place.

[Edit] D'oh! Looks like I kept my window open for too long before I typed

Rumor
May 16, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
I'm almost disappointed that it's not a perfect pentagram (not because I want the White House at the head of a perfect pentagram, but just because I love proportional relationships).

Any significance about the location in the White House that is at the head of the pentagram? It's interesting that it's slightly off-centre
Is the current White House the 2nd one?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 07:32 PM

Those are all sailboats on wet moorings. If you zoom in all the way you can see some of the moorings. The reason they all face the same way is they are being pushed by a tide. As the tide effects all the boats evenly they are all going to pushed into the same orientation.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Now, the pentagram in Washington, D.C. was intentional, by the accounts I've heard. Washington was a unique opportunity to design a city from scratch, and there are some other Masonic symbols that can be found throughout.
It was intentional in that Pierre L'Enfant modeled DC's street plan on Paris with a horizontal grid of streets criss-crossed by broad diagonal boulevards. You could pick any number of locations in downtown DC and draw a similar pentagram. The area ia rotten with crazy diagonal streets and traffic circles.

In fact, I am about to go out and drive through a couple of those circles to get to the wine store. If I don't come back, blame it on the Masonic pentagram.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Those are all sailboats on wet moorings. If you zoom in all the way you can see some of the moorings. The reason they all face the same way is they are being pushed by a tide. As the tide effects all the boats evenly they are all going to pushed into the same orientation.
Ah I see. So once they get to their boats via the small boat, do they attach the small boat to the wet mooring or do they take it with them?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 08:07 PM

Ah I see. So once they get to their boats via the small boat, do they attach the small boat to the wet mooring or do they take it with them?
Either/Or

Most larger boats have an area for a dingy, or you can just tow it behind you (with the motor up of course)

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2006, 01:53 PM

That's actually four different "L" shaped buildings.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 17, 2006, 01:59 PM

Swastikas are quite common in Chinese culture. It's a holy Buddhist symbol. Some of them only have 3 arms though. It's also seen in other religions.

Actually, I was in Taiwan once and saw a small Nazi flag being displayed outside a building:

My guess is that the person didn't know it was a Nazi flag and just thought it was a Buddhist symbol or good luck symbol.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Swastikas are quite common in Chinese culture. It's a holy Buddhist symbol.
Don't the arms of the Buddhist symbol point the other way? Or is that the Hindu version? I know the Japanese version points the other way.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Don't the arms of the Buddhist symbol point the other way? Or is that the Hindu version? I know the Japanese version points the other way.
I've heard the same.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 17, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Yeah but on flag it may look the same if you just flip it over.

Plus, a lot of people don't notice that anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2006, 06:02 PM

American Indian versions point counter-clockwise. IIRC, everybody's but the NAZI's point counter-clockwise.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
May 17, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
American Indian versions point counter-clockwise. IIRC, everybody's but the NAZI's point counter-clockwise.
I concur.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules