Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Muslims are protesting Da Vinci Code too

Muslims are protesting Da Vinci Code too
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2006, 10:20 AM

Muslims to protest Da Vinci

Will Western groups protesting the Code now have to support it?
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; May 20, 2006 at 10:32 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
May 20, 2006, 10:49 AM

People will believe what they want, regardless of the truth. So it really doesn't matter to me.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Muslims to protest Da Vinci

Will Western groups protesting the Code now have to support it?
Are you asking if Western groups opposed to The Da Vinci Code, and who are also opposed to Muslims, will now be in conflict because there are Muslims now opposing the The Da Vinci Code?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 12:27 PM

Muslims are always "protesting" something -- and by "protesting" I mean smashing, burning, and killing.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2006, 12:36 PM

If liberals have a tendency towards taking sides with the oppressed Muslim proleteriate, then what side should be taken on this issue?

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Are you asking if Western groups opposed to The Da Vinci Code, and who are also opposed to Muslims, will now be in conflict because there are Muslims now opposing the The Da Vinci Code?
Somewhat facetiously, yes. It often appears that these groups oppose anything that Muslims want, and support anything Muslims oppose (and, of course, visa-versa). It's rare to see them on the same side of any issue. I do, however, think that their opposition to The Da Vinci Code is greater than their opposition to Muslims.

I think I'm more curious about what these Western groups think when these Muslim groups say they are protesting The Da Vinci Code because it misrepresents the Muslim prophet Jesus Christ.

Personally, I think the protests are ludicrous; the book wasn't even that good, and reviews are suggesting the movie is worse.

PacHead
Baninated
May 20, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Somewhat facetiously, yes. It often appears that these groups oppose anything that Muslims want, and support anything Muslims oppose (and, of course, visa-versa). It's rare to see them on the same side of any issue.
It's all propaganda and PR IMO. Why didn't they protest when the ten commandments was recently shown on national tv ? I admit not knowing that much about the religious aspects of Islam, but I doubt that jesus is that important to them, 'prophet' or not.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2006, 03:38 PM

Muslims generally have great reverence for all prophets.

Anyway, though, Muslims will protest the opening of a can of soda. This ain't exactly surprising.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Taliesin
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
It's all propaganda and PR IMO. Why didn't they protest when the ten commandments was recently shown on national tv ? I admit not knowing that much about the religious aspects of Islam, but I doubt that jesus is that important to them, 'prophet' or not.
Jesus is very important to the Quran, as is Moses and Abraham. I would even say Jesus is the most important, because he was created by God specifically for his job and strenghtened by the holy ghost and at the end ascended to God, a sinless messenger of God.

Taliesin

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 11:53 AM

I don't necessarily like The Da Vinci Code's premise. I've been a Christian my entire life, except for a 3-year period in which I fancied myself an agnostic, only to find my spirituality for myself during college (which led me back to my roots). That being said, I am not offended by the book. I realize that it's pure fiction. I'm in the middle of reading the book right now, and if I get a bad taste in my mouth from it, then I won't see the movie. That's my protest. Big deal.

Then I got an Email this morning. I thought it was hilarious. I'm pulling a few excerpts from it to share with you guys, underlining parts that I wanted you to see. Paranoia at its best...

The movie "The DaVinci Code" staring Tom Hanks, directed by Ron Howard will soon be released this year. This movie will have the potential to deceive billions of the world's population. The story line attacks the very heart of the Gospel and attempts to destroy the very nature and character of the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God. (Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against His anointed? Psalm 2:1, 2)
That's an unbelievable overstatement. If anyone is deceived, then its someone who is extremely ignorant to Scripture and history.

Satan knows his time is about up and now he will attempt to take one
of his best shots by enlisting all of hell to belch out its worse deception
in that of stripping Jesus Christ of His Divine nature and turning him into
a mere man who secretly marries Mary Magdalene. To add insult to injury the
story depicts the idea that certain shadowy Christian groups for 2,000 years
have purposely and secretly hidden this so called "fact" behind the scenes
and thus it is finally revealed in a coded message buried in Leonardo Da
Vinci's painting. Even the movie trailer for this story presents it as
"the truth" finally revealed about Jesus! (this is just what the Islamic
Fascists need to give added credence to their bloody, destructive campaign
of global terror!)
Eh? This is just what the Islamic Fascists need?

Pray that Christian lay people, prayer leaders, writers, pastors, and all those in Christian media outlets will get the message out and expose this deception of hell and reveal the lie this movie will present before it ever hits the theaters.

We can only say about Tom Hanks & Ron Howard "Father forgive them for they know not what they do" but to the enemy of the cross we can only declare to him, "go ahead take your best shot because your time is up and you will soon be cast into the lake of fire"
Evidently they've failed to realize that this is a novel.

Let me be clear. If someone comes out and makes the claim that Jesus was actually married and had children, I would be very willing to debate them. The guy is a novelist, not a historian. He's done research, but it's based around information that has been disproven long ago. As far as tearing down Christianity goes, he's harmless. Only the simple-minded could be swayed by The Da Vinci Code.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
If anyone is deceived, then its someone who is extremely ignorant to Scripture and history.
you do know that the religous scriptures were written by men, and humans tend to get details wrong, even if they were there. there have been misstranslated scripture text, parts of the bible omited to make it sound better for the churchs. if somehow someone happens to find scriptures that validate the existence of the jesus royal blood line (and i'm pretty positive they have been found already, but the church, among others, are hiding this) and are validated somehow, than will you feel deceived by the church? or will you just go along with the "history of the scripture?"
what i'm saying really is that the bible has been formed to make the churchs beliefs true. if anyone is truly being decieved, it is the people who believe word for word what the bible and the church says.

Brass

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Muslims are always "protesting" something -- and by "protesting" I mean smashing, burning, and killing.
Conservatives are always "blaming" someone -- and by "blaming" I mean wearing white hoods and smashing, burning, and killing.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 22, 2006, 05:14 PM

That movie sucked @zz.

I wish it would just die already, but with all the protests, it's going to get a lot of continued PR, and it will continue to take up valuable space in movie theatres or on video store shelves.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 12:11 AM

I never read the book and actually enjoyed the film. I thought it was an interesting story and certainly well-made (fast-paced, nice special effects). Most of my friends who've read the book were disappointed with the movie though because it skipped a lot of information.

I don't think anyone can prove or disprove that Jesus had a child. And I don't see how that is important at all in one's faith. Big deal, it doesn't take anything away from how well he lived his life 2000 years ago that he married and had a child.

They showed Dogma on TV here last night, which I always thought was a wittier movie and if you're going to have Christianity as a topic, it's a lot more satisfying than Da Vinci Code. To paraphrase Selma Hayek in the movie, it doesn't matter why you have faith but that you have it at all. It shouldn't be a burden, but something to celebrate. Surely if it's strong enough, it won't matter that Jesus was black, God looks like Alanis Morisette, Mary and Joseph had other children and all this was suppressed by the church.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 12:42 AM

I don't care if you're Muslim, Jew, Christian, or Buddahist.
It's a movie........i think critical thinking is in order.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
you do know that the religous scriptures were written by men, and humans tend to get details wrong, even if they were there. there have been misstranslated scripture text, parts of the bible omited to make it sound better for the churchs. if somehow someone happens to find scriptures that validate the existence of the jesus royal blood line (and i'm pretty positive they have been found already, but the church, among others, are hiding this) and are validated somehow, than will you feel deceived by the church? or will you just go along with the "history of the scripture?"
what i'm saying really is that the bible has been formed to make the churchs beliefs true. if anyone is truly being decieved, it is the people who believe word for word what the bible and the church says.
The entire Christian faith depends upon the Bible's divine inspiration. The Bible was indeed written by men, but we believe they were directed to write the Scriptures by God. Agnostics, atheists, and interfaith supporters love to say that the Bible was written by fallible human beings and that it is full of inconsistencies and contradictions. This is simply not true, at least to anyone who has studied it closely.

The Church is hiding proof of Jesus' royal bloodline? You act as if The Da Vinci Code is itself a document which was written under the influence of God. It was written by an opporunist who has made himself a multi-millionaire by taking information that has already been disproven (as long ago as a decade, if I understand correctly) and writing a mediocre piece of fiction involving the ridiculous notion that Jesus Christ was wed to Mary Magdalene and produced offspring. Dan Brown is not a prophet. He's not even a historian. He's a writer who has taken the work of atheists and agnostics who are grasping desperately at any little piece of information, erroneous or not, so that he might chip away at the structure of Christianity (less likely for personal reasons than monetary pursuit). Obviously the controversial nature of this book is the only reason why it has sold so well.

To a non-Christian, the movie and the book aren't a big deal. They say, "Well, what does that change? So what if Jesus had a kid?" They don't seem to understand that Christianity is dependent upon the truth that Jesus Christ was God manifested in the flesh. That he was the pure, holy, Lamb of God. That he was killed for our sins and resurrected three days later. Jesus' divinity is essential to Christianity.

And you have the audacity to tell me...
what i'm saying really is that the bible has been formed to make the churchs beliefs true.
if anyone is truly being decieved, it is the people who believe word for word what the bible and the church says.
I'm a youth minister at a church. I have been in the church for 23 years, except for a 3-year period in which I became an agnostic and studied the Scriptures and the history of the church from a more objective point of view. Everything I saw led me back to my current beliefs. And you would like to get in this thread and ridicule my spiritual beliefs? Your arrogance, based around The Da Vinci Code and inaccurate history, is less liberalism and moral relativism than it is your own form of agnostic/atheist fundamentalism. If you don't want to be a Christian, that is your own decision. If you want to spend your time ridiculing Christianity, then do it somewhere else.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
I don't care if you're Muslim, Jew, Christian, or Buddahist.
It's a movie........i think critical thinking is in order.
The assumption that religious people don't think critically is ridiculous and quite possibly the most offensive thing that we regularly hear from those who don't believe as we do.

abe
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 11:00 PM

When ANY belief that is held as inviolable is questioned, ridiculed or disproved the impact on mortals will be surely great and the repercussions greatly felt.

Just imagine the wailing that will be heard coming from non-believers on Judgment Day.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Kevin
Baninated
May 25, 2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Conservatives are always "blaming" someone -- and by "blaming" I mean wearing white hoods and smashing, burning, and killing.
Wow, what an absurd post you just made there.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
People will believe what they want, regardless of the truth. So it really doesn't matter to me.

*cough*Loose Change video*cough*

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Jun 1, 2006, 04:21 PM

Too much jibber-jabber in the movie. Could have been whittled down to two hours from three easy.

Like that scene at the gate to that rich guys house about the tea. Sh!t that was goofy.

That was about 5 or six minutes, and I didn't get it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules