Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mushkin RAM and MacBook?

Mushkin RAM and MacBook?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 09:30 PM

Mushkin RAM seems to be reasonably priced.
NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin PC2-5300 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-667 200PIN SODIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - 991505 In Canada.

Has anyone put Mushkin into the MacBook? Any problems?

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2007, 12:57 AM

The key is, which Mushkin?
Some people have reported problems, some have reported they work.
You should know that this (991504) is not the memory that Mushkin guarantees is Mac compatible.
That memory is 971504a, and is $200.00 the pair at the vendor you linked to.
So you are on your own as regards compatibiluty on the linked pair for $181 (less $20 mail in rebate.)

OTOH you could check around for other Canadian sources of guaranteed-compatible Mac RAM for a lower price than that....

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2007, 08:42 AM

such as CanadaRAM.com?

By the way, your website has some serious usability issues. I walked away because it was taking too much effort to find and understand pricing for MacBook RAM. Your product pages should be designed in a list format, rather than a paragraph/tabular format. Prices are all out of alignment, requiring me to scan all over the place and you don't always list manufacturer names or part numbers (why would I purchase something I know nothing about?).

I'm sorry, but your website is not professional enough to convince me that your company is a reliable place to make a web-based purchase from.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Apr 21, 2007 at 08:54 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2007, 08:56 AM

If you buy from Mushkin directly, you can probably get what you want for your machine with less trouble. They have a feature that's called "perfect match" memory, and it's selected by your SYSTEM so you don't have to keep track of the minute details of RAM specs to get the right part. They also have a lifetime warranty on RAM you haven't screwed up, physically broken, or otherwise messed with.

I haven't bought from them for a long time, nor ever for a Mac, but my experience with them was good.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I haven't bought from them for a long time, nor ever for a Mac, but my experience with them was good.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2007, 12:52 PM

I'm using two sticks of Mushkin RAM in my macBook, and haven't had any problems so far.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2007, 12:55 PM

Good to hear. Are you using Apple spec, or generic?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2007, 05:54 PM

I bought those Mushkin RAM from NCIX several months ago. They've been working well on my MacBook since. Anything over the stock config is an improvement.

tavin64
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2007, 10:03 PM

Get this ram for your macbook.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Notebook Memory - Retail

It is $52 per 1gb stick. I have been using 2 sticks of the same ram in my core duo macbook and also 2 sticks of it in my wife's macbook pro. They both have been running solid for almost a year with 0 problems. Very good ram and the price cant be beat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules