Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading graphics and lifespan of the OG5

Upgrading graphics and lifespan of the OG5
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2007, 01:35 PM

That's "Original G5".

I've got the original G5 2.0 dual/Radeon 9600 from the end of 2003 and now I would like some better graphics performance. I don't do a ton of gaming on my Mac but what I do like to play doesn't play that well and I have to turn the settings down. I also like to play around with Photoshop a little but speed isn't an issue here at all.

So is it even worthwhile to make a $300 upgrade to a PPC at this point? Besides graphics I don't have any issues with speed or anything else on my G5. I just don't want blow only to find out that I won't be able to get any new software anyway.

So whadda you think? Upgrade the computer I am fine with or save up to replace it?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 02:46 PM

It will give you much better better performance in games, but no change in Photoshop. Also even the best available cards ($350ish for the X800XT) for your G5 are years old and well behind the current midrange cards ($250 8800GT is 4x faster).
( Last edited by mduell; Nov 18, 2007 at 06:01 PM. )

yikes600
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2007, 03:51 AM

some of the new games released for mac are already "intel only" and I think this trend will only become more frequent in the future. not sure if the X800 is worth the price tag... it's 2005 technology at the original 2005 price. tough call... bite the bullet and make the intel switch?

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2007, 07:30 AM

I just might make the switch. The more I think about it the more I the more I come back to buying a new computer.

Of course it'll take me forever to decide WHICH one to get…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 10:14 PM

Don't waste money on upgrading except perhaps to get to 2 GB RAM if you will keep the box a while. Upgrading a totally replaced platform seldom makes sense. Like Mark said, PS for casual usage will run fine. Save your money and check out the choices/prices on MacIntels after Mac Expo SF January 15.

nikstar101
Nov 20, 2007, 01:36 PM

I bought a X800XT for my PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz last year and i still think it is a worthwhile buy. Especially compared to the 9600. I replaced a 9800 and the difference is noticeable.

I would look to see if the PM would last you at least another year and if it does then i would spend some money on it. I recently bought some more RAM for mine since i reckon i won't upgrade to a Mac Pro till MacOS 10.6 is out which is at least a year away. The G5 is still a powerful machine, it is still far powerful enough to deal is your average everyday tasks.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 07:10 PM

It will be a little while before I actually buy a new computer, at least summer next year. I can only hope that they give us new a tower design soon. It has been FOUR years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules