Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > More pain for Palin? Now allegations of an affair?

More pain for Palin? Now allegations of an affair?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 12:50 PM

Sure, the allegations originate from the Enquirer (the same source that exposed John Edwards' affair). Even if the allegations are false, this adds more fuel to the speculation that Palin's closet wasn't fully investigated before picking her as the Republican VP candidate.

Of course, the McCain campaign isn't helping matters by suing the Enquirer. Ignoring the story would add credence to their claim that the allegations are false.

Coincidentally, 3 days ago the guy that Palin is alleged to have had the affair with (a former business partner of her husband), filed an emergency motion to have his divorce records sealed.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i..._dUJQD9305F2G0

Again, nothing damning, but lots of coincidences that the McCain campaign should have been better prepared for.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Even if the allegations are false, this adds more fuel to the speculation that Palin's closet wasn't fully investigated before picking her as the Republican VP candidate.
Even if they're false? How does that follow?

Coincidentally, 3 days ago the guy that Palin is alleged to have had the affair with (a former business partner of her husband), filed an emergency motion to have his divorce records sealed.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i..._dUJQD9305F2G0
And that motion was DENIED, thus leaving those records open. The Palins were only mentioned in the motion to seal the records, not in the divorce. The motion was merely to protect his privacy since he knew the press would be coming after him.

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/p...t_lst?68762762

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...l?link=rssfeed
( Last edited by smacintush; Sep 7, 2008 at 01:08 PM. )
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 01:12 PM

I do love how you people keep trying to question John McCain's judgement because the press keeps going after her.

Hey, here's f*cking thought…how about we question the judgement of the press? When are people gonna grow the f*ck up and stop giving attention to crap like this?

Oh I know…because people get a kick out of people being personally destroyed for merely having different political views.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2008, 01:23 PM

i don't know why people care about this.

But even if this allegation is true, I think it will not affect her chances. Unless she had the affair with a woman. Like I've noted before, Palin's support comes from God Himself through the Evangelical movement. and according to them, God forgives everyone*!

* = except for abortionists and gays.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I do love how you people keep trying to question John McCain's judgement because the press keeps going after her.

Hey, here's f*cking thought…how about we question the judgement of the press? When are people gonna grow the f*ck up and stop giving attention to crap like this?

Oh I know…because people get a kick out of people being personally destroyed for merely having different political views.
At the same time, what else is the Press supposed to do besides try to dig up dirt and speculate about her? The potential Vice President of the United States of America and the press hasn't been allowed within 100 yards of her.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Unless she had the affair with a woman.
...and only if it was with Cindy.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 02:10 PM

No, it has nothing to do with political views, at least from my point of view. It has to do with the horrible vetting process, which was inevitable with such a quick pick, and with her highly unsuitable qualifications for her job, let alone her being a possible heartbeat away from the presidency. FTR, I'm not a huge fan of Obama's either, but I will vote for him because I don't want a doddering old fool for a president.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
No, it has nothing to do with political views, at least from my point of view. It has to do with the horrible vetting process, which was inevitable with such a quick pick, and with her highly unsuitable qualifications for her job, let alone her being a possible heartbeat away from the presidency. FTR, I'm not a huge fan of Obama's either, but I will vote for him because I don't want a doddering old fool for a president.
Yes, young fools are always better than old ones, right?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 02:48 PM

Wow, you've probably been waiting weeks to use that line, haven't you?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 03:34 PM

Damn, beat me to it.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
At the same time, what else is the Press supposed to do besides try to dig up dirt and speculate about her? The potential Vice President of the United States of America and the press hasn't been allowed within 100 yards of her.
So it's ok to smear someone because they haven't been granted an interview yet?

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 06:03 PM

What happens when Apple has a product long overdue for update or a gap in their product line that needs filling and Apple is totally mum on the topic? Put another way, how many iPod, iPhone and Tablet Mac mockups have we seen in the last few years?

Given a desire for information from a silent source, people will speculate wildly on what little information they can find.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 06:29 PM

How about the rumors that Track was given a choice between jail and the military as a result of his taking part in a vandalism spree targeting school busses in Wasilla?

(I have no 'inside' info on that.)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 06:41 PM

If someone is trying to hide something from you that you need to know, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to get it behind their back. That's the only way it's going to happen. I do think some people are slinging mud a little too freely when it comes to Palin, but the Republicans seem to be going too far in the other direction. Maybe it will even out eventually.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 06:58 PM

pix pls kthxbye
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Rumor
Sep 7, 2008, 07:30 PM

Scouring the web for videos now.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 08:06 PM

Even if they're false? How does that follow?
Here's how.

No one remembers the corrections. Everyone remembers the damning news, even if it's later proven false. No one remembers that it was proven false.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 08:09 PM

(let me know if you find anything! (is it weird to think a 54 yo is so dadgum hot?))

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 08:20 PM

When are people gonna grow the f*ck up and stop giving attention to crap like this?
Like when Bill Clinton had an affair?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Here's how.

No one remembers the corrections. Everyone remembers the damning news, even if it's later proven false. No one remembers that it was proven false.
Exactly.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Here's how.

Like evidence for WMDs in Iraq.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 08:44 PM

Like someone else said, this happens to regarding everything. Except this time, its the Vice President of the United States, so the scale is a little bigger.

I mean seriously, what is she doing? Has she been spending every day practicing political flash cards or something? They just need to let people ask questions so she can nip things in the bud instead of sitting back and complaining about how people are wildly speculating about her. They have nothing else to talk about her with because she won't talk!
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 08:51 PM

I'm guessing that the author of this thread and its liberal participants are not readers of more high brow left-leaning material such as the HuffPo, where they may find some much needed advice on how to handle Palin.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Like when Bill Clinton had an affair?
You're not going to get an argument from me…I defended (and still would) John Edwards.

People were WAY too fascinated with the details of Clinton's infractions.

Except for the part where he perjured himself that is. For some reason people seem to forget that one. Go figure. And the part where he was doing some these things in the room where Reagan had too much respect to even remove his jacket. (That kinda comes off like sarcasm but it's not meant to be…this time)

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
What happens when Apple has a product long overdue for update or a gap in their product line that needs filling and Apple is totally mum on the topic? Put another way, how many iPod, iPhone and Tablet Mac mockups have we seen in the last few years?

Given a desire for information from a silent source, people will speculate wildly on what little information they can find.
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If someone is trying to hide something from you that you need to know, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to get it behind their back. That's the only way it's going to happen. I do think some people are slinging mud a little too freely when it comes to Palin, but the Republicans seem to be going too far in the other direction. Maybe it will even out eventually.
Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
Like someone else said, this happens to regarding everything. Except this time, its the Vice President of the United States, so the scale is a little bigger.

I mean seriously, what is she doing? Has she been spending every day practicing political flash cards or something? They just need to let people ask questions so she can nip things in the bud instead of sitting back and complaining about how people are wildly speculating about her. They have nothing else to talk about her with because she won't talk!
By the time she gives her first interview it will have been like a WHOLE WEEK (or so) since the end of the convention. Is that really so suspicious a thing? With all the time preparing for the convention then campaigning with McCain when is she supposed to prepare? We can't give her a WEEK?

I would say that IF there is anything suspicious about the delay it's not that they are hiding anything. I would say that they may be delaying to properly pace her coverage so as to let the negative stories stew in the minds of the public and enhance the public's disgust with the press, and also to keep the mystery and thus the excitement alive.

It's a delicate balance. Wait too long and people get suspicious. Open up too soon and it's like a premature ejaculation. Just a thought.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 09:18 AM

I am not saying she had to grant a full 10 hour long interview. But she hasn't taken any questions from reporters.

I don't think this had anything to do with wanting to cause distrust for the media. I think it has everything to do with them not thinking she is ready.

Looking forward to seeing her next Sunday morning...
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 09:24 AM

Truth comes out. Seems he was trying to get the records sealed BECAUSE of nutbar members of the press hounding his family.

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/0...ites-the-dust/

Choke on it.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 09:32 AM

Heh. It's like they're a bunch on chimps, hammering on a piano, in hopes of playing Beethoven one of these days...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 09:41 AM

Nothing to see here - what it all boils down to is it's just the left showing how much they hate successful women. As usual.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 09:44 AM

Heh. It's like they're a bunch on chimps, hammering on a piano, in hopes of playing Beethoven one of these days...
Trying not to miss the Enquirer scoop again? (Edwards)

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Nothing to see here - what it all boils down to is it's just the left showing how much they hate successful women. As usual.
Hillary.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Hillary.
I said "successful" women.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 09:48 AM

^^^ yep.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 09:51 AM

I said "successful" women.
So, senator for New York state is not successful? You'll have to try harder with the conspiracy theories my friend, cuz most people won't buy such lame attempts.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 09:54 AM

Why does being a senator automatically make you successful? She hasn't done a thing since taking office.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 09:56 AM

So, senator for New York state failed presidential candidate is not successful?
Fixed.

You'll have to try harder with the conspiracy theories my friend, cuz most people won't buy such lame attempts.
I don't know how things work up there in Canuckistan, Eug, but over here in Blighty that was what we call a "joke".

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 10:00 AM

Why does being a senator automatically make you successful? She hasn't done a thing since taking office.
You're not really going to argue accomplishments are you? You'd be hard pressed to call Sarah Palin a more seasoned politician than Hillary Clinton.

I don't know how things work up there in Canuckistan, Eug, but over here in Blighty that was what we call a "joke".
If you're saying this is a joke, then my sarcasm detector has failed:

Just trying to counteract the FUD and tinfoil hat theories, but I'm afraid it may be a lost cause in these forums.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 10:07 AM

You're not really going to argue accomplishments are you? You'd be hard pressed to call Sarah Palin a more seasoned politician than Hillary Clinton.
So...
A less-seasoned male senator wins the Dem ticket against a well-seasoned female senator.

This can only point to how much Dems hate women.

If you're saying this is a joke, then my sarcasm detector has failed
Yeah. It wasn't sarcasm - just a straight joke. Which is why your sarcasm detector prolly failed to pick it up.

I know, I know. I should probably have been a gay man sitting in a canoe paddling down to a department store for it to have been a real joke.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 10:11 AM

So...
A less-seasoned male senator wins the Dem ticket against a well-seasoned female senator.

This can only point to how much Dems hate women.
I think Hillary provided more substance in her run than Obama did, but I also think she had the personality of a 2x4 much of the time. I'm not surprised Obama won the nomination, are you?

Anyways, the very first female VP candidate was a Dem.

P.S. I still can't tell if you're really joking, despite the fact that you claim you are.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 10:19 AM

So, do you think that Hillary would have ever gotten to be Senator had her husband not been President, given the fact that she didn't have experience in any other elected office nor really ran anything other than the health care take-over fiasco, and never really even lived in the state she won?

Doubtful. I'm not sure how that's proof she's accomplished much. Having said that, I do believe that she's done wonders after getting elected to moderate her views and show leadership qualities. She certainly isn't the Hillary that entered the White House as first lady back in the early 90's.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Sep 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM. )

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 10:30 AM

I think Hillary provided more substance in her run than Obama did, but I also think she had the personality of a 2x4 much of the time. I'm not surprised Obama won the nomination, are you?

Anyways, the very first female VP candidate was a Dem.

P.S. I still can't tell if you're really joking, despite the fact that you claim you are.
Not sure I would brag about that, given that particular ticket holds the record for the worst beatdown.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
So, do you think that Hillary would have ever gotten to be Senator had her husband not been President, given the fact that she didn't have experience in any other elected office nor really ran anything other than the health care take-over fiasco, and never really even lived in the state she won?

Doubtful. I'm not sure how that's proof she's accomplished much. Having said that, I do believe that she's done wonders after getting elected to moderate her views and show leadership qualities. She certainly isn't the Hillary that entered the White House as first ladie back in the early 90's.
She's only there because of Slick Willy, and she's still Shrillary.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
Not sure I would brag about that, given that particular ticket holds the record for the worst beatdown.
Who's bragging?

Forum Links
Forum Rules