Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule as NAS for Macs and Windows computers?

Time Capsule as NAS for Macs and Windows computers?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 09:54 PM

I have an opportunity to grab a used 1TB Time Capsule for $300.

Are there any disadvantages to using the Time Capsule as an NAS for Windows and Mac computers (I have no interest in the Time Machine functionality)?

Alternatively, for a little bit more $, I can get a new gigabit/wireless N router, home-NAS and 1TB drive, but the Time Capsule has the advantage of being 1 device instead of 2.
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=530
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=509

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2008, 10:06 PM

Do you need it for the wireless networking as well as the NAS? Because you can build a stand-alone NAS for about half of that price (Coolmax NAS enclosure for $60.24 and 1TB Segate 7200 RPM drive for $120.25). Actually, "build" is a very strong term. "Assemble" works better-it's way easier than you might think.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 10:22 PM

Right now my router is 'G' and megabit. When I go down the NAS road, I'd like to upgrade to a router that runs 'N' and gigabit. Given that requirement, this particular Time Capsule is interesting. Otherwise, I'll be getting a gigabit NAS enclosure and a gigabit 'N' router.

afx5i
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2008, 05:33 AM

I would say the only disadvantage is you won't be able to change the HDD inside the Time Capsule easily, when it dies in the future. (I don't think it'll be near future, but who knows when?)

I have an AirPort Extreme (Gigabit) that is hooked to an external HDD. It works fine as an NAS and a printer server on both Leopard and Vista. Although it's not the fastest router I've ever used before, certainly stable enough to use in a home environment. The only problem I have with an Apple router is, they don't offer "Stealth" option in their firewall settings, which mean there's no way you can stop people outside from knowing your existence on the Internet. Don't know if it's important to you, but one thing you might want to look at.
de:RDF Journal | Raphael CHAN’s MostlyUseful² Weblog for OS X Enthusiasts:
http://rdf.nxstg.com/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Are there any disadvantages to using the Time Capsule as an NAS for Windows and Mac computers (I have no interest in the Time Machine functionality)?
It's slow.

Wiskedjak  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Decided against it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules