Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How much time has Gordon got left?

How much time has Gordon got left?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2009, 03:48 AM

How long before he is ousted? Or do you think he is going to hang on until the election?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2009, 04:08 AM

He'll go until the election (May next year at the latest). Because that's what he's like.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009, 04:16 AM

He'll hang on until the election, but I would expect that to be sooner rather than later. Lib-dem and Tory pressure is mounting and he can't sit on it forever. Cameron's "the people need a general election" speech appears to be working like a charm.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2009, 04:25 AM

By May next year he might be the only guy left!! The quicker he is out the better IMO!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2009, 03:34 PM

Labour prepares to go to war over Gordon Brown's future - Times Online

"It will be Sunday night before it is clear whether the party has received the drubbing suggested by opinion polls. With 72 seats up for grabs in the European Parliament, it has been trailing even the UK Independence Party and battling the Liberal Democrats for fourth place. "

He's likely telling himself that the European elections don't matter and that the "real" election won't see anywhere near as high a turnout for UKIP and the Tories. Of course, that would be delusional, but I seriously think that this is what Brown is counting on.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2009, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure he'll hang on. If it was just the elections then yes, he'd be with us until the general election. if it was just the expenses, and just the resignations. But it's all of it.

No matter how bad labour think the results are going to be, I expect the actual results will be worse. To bad to allow him to survive. He can't even count on a cabinet re shuffle as several senior ministers are refusing to take alternative jobs.

One thing that always tees me off is the parade of numpties the day after explaining why the obviouls disastrous results are actually a big win. It's the continual dishonesty and spinning that hacks people off with politicians.

Each party should be forced to submit a sealed estimation of how they expect to perform in an election. After the vote they can compare reality to the prediction and explain why it all went runny for them.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2009, 04:11 PM

99% of politicians give the rest a bad name.

What is so depressing, is that whoever replaces the ousted Labour/Conservative/Liberal/whatever MEPs will end up being just as bad.

Have you read about a MEP's pension? Scandalous. I have no faith in anybody of any party atm.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2009, 05:32 PM

so another minister resigns
BBC NEWS | Politics | Pressure on PM as minister quits
at least he waited for the polls to close. The first to explicitly call for Gordon to go.

He'll be gone by Monday.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2009, 03:44 AM

Let's assume that Jonah does actually go. Who the hell would replace him? Which member of the current Labour Party is not an even scarier prospect?

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 04:28 PM

"I will not waver, I will not walk away, I will get on with the job and I will finish the work," Brown told a news conference after giving details of the cabinet shake-up.

Looks like he's staying put.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
"I will not waver, I will not walk away, I will get on with the job and I will finish the work," Brown told a news conference after giving details of the cabinet shake-up.

Looks like he's staying put.
Told ya. The bloke's like a particularly unpleasant leech.

And I've now got money* on Labour winning the next general election.

(* OK, so a crate of Bud)

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 07:14 PM

I don't see how Labour could possibly win the next general election. The party is falling to pieces.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I don't see how Labour could possibly win the next general election.
Between the constituency boundary changes (heavily weighted towards Labour), the legacy voters ("my dad voted Labour, my granddad voted Labour, etc., etc."), Scotland, Wales and the year they've now got to regroup... ...easy.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 04:06 PM

I really feel like the Left is crashing and burning all throughout Europe, but perhaps things could change within a year.

The results of the latest election are showing that Europeans are taking a hard turn to the right, and I suspect this will remain true for as long as we are in recession.

Forum Links
Forum Rules