Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > smacbook pro

smacbook pro
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2009, 11:00 AM

My last computer purchase was my G5 five years ago, now finally I pulled the trigger on a 13" MBP. I'm excited as hell, yet…not.

Why does it hurt so much to let go of my money now? Does that come with age? I used to be SOOOOO good at this…I need to go lay down.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2009, 11:11 AM

It'll be worth it...

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 11:11 AM

You're mad at yourself for not buying the 15"

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 12:37 PM

I always wait until I can grab one on sale somehow, so it can trigger that irrational part of the brain that says, "Wow, you got that so cheap, it's like making money! Good job!" Cancels out irrational buyer's remorse.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2009, 12:43 PM

That 13" MBP is the sweetest compact Mac that Apple's had for years. Don't worry, you'll enjoy it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I always wait until I can grab one on sale somehow, so it can trigger that irrational part of the brain that says, "Wow, you got that so cheap, it's like making money! Good job!" Cancels out irrational buyer's remorse.
That's what I told myself every time I traded in a console for another. "It's like getting a console for 50% off!"

But smacintosh, let go of your remorse. It's such a beautiful machine. Plus, you need that Intel processor.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
That 13" MBP is the sweetest compact Mac that Apple's had for years. Don't worry, you'll enjoy it.
Yeah, it really is really nice.
Chuck
___

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 01:26 PM

You've bought the coolest machine Apple has built since the 12" PowerBook (except for the 3GS).

You'll enjoy your purchase a lot more than you might expect to now.

(And I've found that this jaded attitude develops over time, but it's all the nicer to be positively suprised. )

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 28, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
My last computer purchase was my G5 five years ago, now finally I pulled the trigger on a 13" MBP. I'm excited as hell, yet…not.

Why does it hurt so much to let go of my money now? Does that come with age? I used to be SOOOOO good at this…I need to go lay down.
Dude. You made a good choice. I've been rocking a 13" MBP for a few months, and it is an AMAZING machine. I can't believe the capability you get for that little cash. The battery is amazing, the screen is great (though glossy), the keyboard is perfect, the speed is fantastic... really can't ask for a better laptop for the price. It's ROCK freakin' solid, in every respect. You made a good choice and it's going to last a LONG LONG time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 04:20 PM

LOL, the last back-to-school promotion did just that for me

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Dude. You made a good choice. I've been rocking a 13" MBP for a few months, and it is an AMAZING machine. I can't believe the capability you get for that little cash. The battery is amazing, the screen is great (though glossy), the keyboard is perfect, the speed is fantastic... really can't ask for a better laptop for the price. It's ROCK freakin' solid, in every respect. You made a good choice and it's going to last a LONG LONG time.
Agreed with everything except the part in bold. The machine is fantastic; the battery not so much. I can’t get more than three hours with this battery, whereas I’d easily get five with my old WhiteBook (before that battery suddenly died completely, that is).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 04:37 PM

Really? That's with the most recent gen MBP? Because my sister has one and her battery lasts forever.
Chuck
___

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2009, 04:55 PM

Really? That's with the most recent gen MBP? Because my sister has one and her battery lasts forever.
Not sure if it’s the most recent gen or if there’s been a new one since—it’s from April.

I was quite surprised by it, too. It will tell me, initially, that there are five or six hours left; but after about two hours of usage (non-intense usage, I might add: usually just Safari and InDesign, with nothing too complex being done in InDesign; and normally with screen brightness dimmed to just one or two ‘dots’ and Bluetooth turned off), it’ll be down to the ‘red part’ in the battery indicator, with less than an hour left.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 05:14 PM

You might want to get that looked at. It sounds like you could have a bum battery.
Chuck
___

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2009, 05:16 PM

Tell Apple that your friend Chuckit said that the battery is supposed to last "forever."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2009, 05:57 PM

It sounds like you could have a bum battery.
Some people pay good money for that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Not sure if it’s the most recent gen or if there’s been a new one since—it’s from April.

I was quite surprised by it, too. It will tell me, initially, that there are five or six hours left; but after about two hours of usage (non-intense usage, I might add: usually just Safari and InDesign, with nothing too complex being done in InDesign; and normally with screen brightness dimmed to just one or two ‘dots’ and Bluetooth turned off), it’ll be down to the ‘red part’ in the battery indicator, with less than an hour left.
Is the battery removable? If it is, it's not the latest generation MacBook Pro.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Is the battery removable? If it is, it's not the latest generation MacBook Pro.
Yup, it’s removable—or at least there’s a definite line running across the bottom of the machine, with a sort of little slide-thingy next to it that looks like it’s meant for taking out the battery. I haven’t had it out (yet), but it looks like a regular old-style removable battery. I’d missed that there’d been another gen with a non-removable (wtf?!?) battery.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Yup, it’s removable—or at least there’s a definite line running across the bottom of the machine, with a sort of little slide-thingy next to it that looks like it’s meant for taking out the battery. I haven’t had it out (yet), but it looks like a regular old-style removable battery. I’d missed that there’d been another gen with a non-removable (wtf?!?) battery.
Yes, the latest generation has a built-in battery.

Apple did this to save on weight / space. And since they now say the battery lasts for 800-1000 charge cycles before dropping below 80% capacity, it really shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Some people pay good money for that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You've bought the coolest machine Apple has built since the 12" PowerBook (except for the 3GS).
Yup. I'm soooo glad I waited instead of getting the first iteration of the Unibody.

BTW, I would have been happy with just Firewire 400 (considering the first Unibody had no Firewire at all), but the Firewire 800 really does come in handy.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 28, 2009, 08:18 PM

The battery on my 13" lasts for 6+ hours of pretty heavy photoshop/illustrator work.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2009, 11:07 PM

Yeah I feel better now. All I needed was a scotch and a long nap.

Now, I hope I have the strength to cope with waiting until it arrives.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 28, 2009, 11:29 PM

It's so worth it. I had a 12" Powerbook that was pretty great, but a tad small to use, and it lacked the OOMPH for serious work. The 13" is ... I dare say... the PERFECT size. And it's potent! My main gripe is how SHARP the front edge is... that is a huge human factors no-no. Also, the USB ports should be spaced apart so a thumb drive and something else can be plugged in.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2009, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, the latest generation has a built-in battery.

Apple did this to save on weight / space. And since they now say the battery lasts for 800-1000 charge cycles before dropping below 80% capacity, it really shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
Well, saving on weight/space is rather unhappily stated, as the new books are neither lighter nor more compact than the previous generation.

They did save the battery enclosure and thus managed to design the battery to more effectively spill (no pun intended) into the available space.

lexapro
Baninated
Sep 29, 2009, 08:39 AM

Did you buy it from Apple refurb? I've gotten a bunch of machines that way for hundreds less than normal.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2009, 09:04 AM

I dare say... the PERFECT size.
I concur with you. I have the 15" Unibody which looks damn huge after having play with a friend's 13" MBP.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2009, 09:59 AM

I'm actually very very happy with my Macbook Air. Bought it when they first came out and it's great. But yeah, I'd love to have a Macbook Pro. In a heartbeat.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
Did you buy it from Apple refurb? I've gotten a bunch of machines that way for hundreds less than normal.
No actually MacMall had an $80 rebate and free Parallels so I went with that. (Refurb didn't even occur to me)

Should be here tomorrow!

Still don't have a case for it though…

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2009, 06:51 AM

This thread is worthless without pics.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2009, 07:10 AM

Grats on the new machine!

I went with the top model Unibody Macbook back in January and am continually amazed at how well it does, and just how well it has stood up to things compared to my old generation Macbook Pros.

The 13" Macbook can only been even better, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2009, 04:45 PM

Well it arrived alright, too bad I have to go to work now. Maybe some pictures later.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 30, 2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
This thread is worthless without pics.
Why? It will look just like the thousands of other 13" MBPs.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2009, 04:44 PM

Good point about the pics.

Suffice it to say that this thing seems pretty awesome so far.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2009, 04:46 PM

Why? It will look just like the thousands of other 13" MBPs.
Not true, Mine is nicer than everybody else's.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules