Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you getting the H1N1 vaccine?

Are you getting the H1N1 vaccine?
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2009, 10:18 PM

What's the general consensus here on the H1N1 vaccine? Are you going to get it? Are you going to skip it? Why?

Seems to me that the testing for this vaccine has been rushed and I think I'll wait to see how the first round of those vaccinated fair. Also, Canada has ordered all of it's doses in the adjuvanted version, while the US has ordered the non-adjuvant version. I'm curious as to why.

Thoughts?

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2009, 10:21 PM

I'll get it. Vaccines don't bother me. Even got them for small pox and anthrax (a series of 6 shots).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2009, 10:27 PM

Not a chance. No way, no how.

My pathologist buddy says "avoid". My tinfoil hat wearing buddies say "avoid". And my intuition says "avoid".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 11:11 PM

Got it.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2009, 11:48 PM

Never gotten a flu shot in my life.

Don't plan on getting one.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

lexapro
Baninated
Oct 26, 2009, 11:50 PM

Absolutely will get it. The risks of H1N1 make getting a shot so much more pleasant. It's safe (as long as you're not allergic to eggs), effective and you'll totally avoid H1N1. Seems like a deal to me.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 12:35 AM

I think the H1N1 panic is overblown. It’s just a flu. You end up feeling like crap for a week or two, then you get better.

With that said, getting the flu sucks, so I’ll probably get the vaccine.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post

Seems to me that the testing for this vaccine has been rushed and I think I'll wait to see how the first round of those vaccinated fair.
It's made the exact same way the seasonal flu vaccine is made, so there's nothing new or experimental about it.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2009, 01:12 AM

This thread should have been a Poll™

No flu vaccine for me; seasonal or otherwise.

It's possible I had H1N1 earlier this summer. For a while the state was considering all flu cases H1N1.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 01:13 AM

I'll get it.

Rumor
Oct 27, 2009, 01:14 AM

Nope. Last time I got a flu shot I got the flu (this year excluded due to prednasone taken).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2009, 02:10 AM

It does not have a higher mortality rate than the seasonal flu so I don't understand why people are so freaked out about it. There were lines wrapping around the clinics in some out lying counties here. Its not worth waiting in line for 3 hours. If you are healthy enough to withstand that line you don't need the vaccine.

Maybe if I was old or sickly I would consider getting it but I will pass at this time.

People should just let nature thin the herd. It is how things are meant to be.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2009, 02:20 AM

Not gonna get it. Never had a flu vaccine before, and IMO H1N1 is totally overhyped.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 02:32 AM

i already have the flu (5 days now). but i wouldn't get the vaccine because I think I don't need it. It's just a flu
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 03:02 AM

I think I got the flu the first time in my life. It lasted about 3 hours, the length of my nap. Woke up and everything was fine.

Maybe it was something I ate.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 09:30 AM

No, never. Partially because I rarely get the flu, and partially because everyone I know who has received the vaccine has gotten sick.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 09:31 AM

Nah.

I'd rather get a pet pig.

-t

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Not a chance. No way, no how.

My pathologist buddy says "avoid".
What reasons does he give?

JCP21
Baninated
IP harvester
Oct 27, 2009, 09:43 AM

Im getting the swine flu vaccine before im ment to, it really helps having your dad as a doctor! [ - snip - ]
( Last edited by reader50; Dec 10, 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: removed IP-harvest-script smiley)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 09:44 AM

Why do you use a third party smiley in every post you make?

design219
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2009, 09:45 AM

I will when it's available for me. My kids got it, but they weren't giving to adults yet. My wife and I got the seasonal flu shots... always do.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
What reasons does he give?
Bear in mind that the guy's Welsh and can talk indefinitely about any given subject (I think this conversation was about two hours - I only asked him for a yay or nay), as far as I can tell it's to do with how the virus will mutate around the vaccine. He went into virus cell structure and all that so kind of lost me halfway through. Basically, vaccination is pointless and possibly could be negative, depending on how the strain evolves.
The only people to have died of it here are those with serious underlying problems anyway. Just keep yerself healthy and there's no need to worry.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 10:17 AM

I've never gotten a flu shot in my life... and I almost never get the flu... and I fully believe that all this N1H1 Swine flu thing is just a bunch of overbown crapola...

...and all that said, my wife has been told by like 3 different doctors that we 100% both need to get both regular and H1N1 flu shots this year because of our newborn. So, uh, I guess I'm getting them. I'll let you guys know if I turn into a pig.

It's not that I'm opposed to the vaccinations, I've just never found the need to bother with them.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 10:18 AM

Bear in mind that the guy's Welsh and can talk indefinitely about any given subject (I think this conversation was about two hours - I only asked him for a yay or nay), as far as I can tell it's to do with how the virus will mutate around the vaccine. He went into virus cell structure and all that so kind of lost me halfway through. Basically, vaccination is pointless and possibly could be negative, depending on how the strain evolves.
The only people to have died of it here are those with serious underlying problems anyway. Just keep yerself healthy and there's no need to worry.
It's only pointless if the virus strain mutates, which is far from a given. This is true for the seasonal flu vaccine, as well. The seasonal vaccine is developed after virologists around the world try to figure out which flu strains will develop in the coming season, and then their three best guesses are included in the vaccine. They can be completely wrong, which happened four or five years ago.

Regardless, I'm not getting the H1N1 or the seasonal shot, but primarily because I am lazy and I don't work with high-risk populations.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 10:27 AM

So your anti-vaccination stance comes from on a rambling conversation with someone apparently unable give a concise, reasoned argument that you can understand and repeat? I'm sorry to say this sounds like a load of BS. Or maybe there were nuances I was missing.

And when you say vaccination is pointless, are you referring to ALL vaccination (including polio and the like) or just the seasonal influenza vaccines (H1N1 being in this category)?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 10:27 AM

I doubt the vaccine is even available here in the DR but I haven't heard much about it in the news. Several of my co-workers back in DC have gotten it and they wouldn't wish it on their worst enemy. My understanding is that it's a pretty miserable experience. So yeah.. it's not necessarily gonna kill you any more than the seasonal strains of the flu but it will make your life hell. If I were working full time in DC I'd probably get the vaccine, especially since many in the office have gotten it. I've gotten the seasonal flu vaccine in the past and suffered no ill effect... but I haven't had a flu in decades (just the occasional cold).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 27, 2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I doubt the vaccine is even available here in the DR but I haven't heard much about it in the news. Several of my co-workers back in DC have gotten it and they wouldn't wish it on their worst enemy. My understanding is that it's a pretty miserable experience. So yeah.. it's not necessarily gonna kill you any more than the seasonal strains of the flu but it will make your life hell. If I were working full time in DC I'd probably get the vaccine, especially since many in the office have gotten it. I've gotten the seasonal flu vaccine in the past and suffered no ill effect... but I haven't had a flu in decades (just the occasional cold).
My wife just had a co-worker die of it last week and my friend that's a nurse in the pediatric care unit at a hospital has had four or five kids die of it so far.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 11:23 AM

What vaccine is being given for H1N1 in the states?

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Oct 27, 2009, 11:32 AM

My wife is an ER nurse, and while we've made a decision to not immunize our son(or ourselves for many years), we've decided to get the H1 dose for all of us(she was strongly urged to do so anyways).

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My wife just had a co-worker die of it last week and my friend that's a nurse in the pediatric care unit at a hospital has had four or five kids die of it so far.
It's my understanding that H1N1 is no worse than seasonal flu in healthy adults (with regard to fatalities) but is harder on children and younger teens as well as pregnant women.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Nope. Last time I got a flu shot I got the flu (this year excluded due to prednasone taken).
Flu shot only protects against what is believed to be the most common flu of the year. It doesn't (can not) protect against all forms.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 11:45 AM

Basically, vaccination is pointless and possibly could be negative, depending on how the strain evolves.
To be clear, vaccination against the common flu is arguably pointless. Vaccinating your children against small pox, cholera, polio, etc. should always be done. I hate Opera and her god damn new age crap about vaccinations, just ignore her.

Yep. I am getting H1N1 at least once because I know I don't have the antibodies for it. Shouldn't have to get it again.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 11:47 AM

From what I understand, the main issue with H1N1 is that symptoms don't manifest until about 24 hours after being infected (and being infectious.) So people are spreading it without even knowing they have it yet.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 11:50 AM

So your anti-vaccination stance comes from on a rambling conversation with someone apparently unable give a concise, reasoned argument that you can understand and repeat? I'm sorry to say this sounds like a load of BS. Or maybe there were nuances I was missing.
The conversation wasn't rambling. It was so detailed that I didn't understand half of it. This is a guy who if he burps and you ask him if he's OK will launch into a full-on info-fest about cell structures in your stomach lining. He's Welsh - they do that kind of thing.

Concise, reasoned argument: It's pointless.

And when you say vaccination is pointless, are you referring to ALL vaccination (including polio and the like) or just the seasonal influenza vaccines (H1N1 being in this category)?
Just the current H1N1 stuff.

I don't know any more since I haven't been paying attention. But if that's what this dude says then it's gospel as far as I'm concerned.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 27, 2009, 12:20 PM

Take plenty of Vitamin D3 and you'll be fine.

I find the "OMFGWTF!!" reaction some people are having over the bacon flu to be both humorous and sad.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Seems to me that the testing for this vaccine has been rushed... ...
Would that be because there is a shortage after it was late in being available? Are you listening to the doctors on TV who are in a position to know about its development? They say it's been thoroughly tested. I'm not a doctor, but I pretend to be one on the Internet.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I think the H1N1 panic is overblown. It’s just a flu.
Just the flu kills 36,000 people a year in the U.S. That makes the odds small, but whatever happened to "better safe than... dead"?

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
i already have the flu (5 days now). but i wouldn't get the vaccine because I think I don't need it. It's just a flu
Easy for you to say. I suppose you're young and have no underlying health issues. But, you have a flu! That might not protect you from getting another one.

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
... everyone I know who has received the vaccine has gotten sick.
Really? How many people do you know who have already gotten the H1N1 vaccine and then the flu? How many people do you know who have not told you they got the vaccine and are not sick with the flu?

Originally Posted by JCP21 View Post
Im getting the swine flu vaccine before im ment to, it really helps having your dad as a doctor!
Not something to be boasting about. Can't he get in trouble for unauthorized vaccinations? It's supposed to be limited to the high risk groups at first for good reason!

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
What vaccine is being given for H1N1 in the states?
Are you looking for a scientific answer? It's the vaccine developed specifically for H1N1. It comes as a nasal mist or a shot. Is that what you mean?

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I hate Opera and her god damn new age crap about vaccinations, just ignore her.
I don't think it is Oprah spouting that stuff, it's her sometime guests. Suzanne Sommers, or some other female celebrity... anyone remember who it is for sure?

I found it. Jenny McCarthy... http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprah..._ss_20070918/1
( Last edited by Gregg; Oct 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM. )
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 12:27 PM

I'd rather get inoculated against hysteria.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Oct 27, 2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
My wife is an ER nurse, and while we've made a decision to not immunize our son(or ourselves for many years), we've decided to get the H1 dose for all of us(she was strongly urged to do so anyways).
No vaccines at all? not even the old standards.. measles, mumps, polio? or just new vaccines, lke chicken pox and H1N1? I'm always curious to hear people's reasoning behind it. I've yet to pick a side, and am always interested in others' views on it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 12:57 PM

Concise, reasoned argument: It's pointless.
That's not a reasoned argument, just an opinion (a conclusion based on something you admittedly only half understand).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Really?
Yes, really.

How many people do you know who have already gotten the H1N1 vaccine and then the flu?
Out of the 8 teachers that I know at a private school, 7 have grown sick with either stomach issues/nausea and flu-like symptoms. I know of no other people to receive the vaccine - most are refusing, some are post-poning.

How many people do you know who have not told you they got the vaccine and are not sick with the flu?
That makes no sense as a question. I'm not Merlin.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
No vaccines at all? not even the old standards.. measles, mumps, polio? or just new vaccines, lke chicken pox and H1N1? I'm always curious to hear people's reasoning behind it. I've yet to pick a side, and am always interested in others' views on it.
The "other side" are people claiming that immunizing your children causes autism. This claim has been debunked over, and over, and over, and over again. There is no link between immunization and autism. None. Zero.

The original study was not peer reviewed before it was published by a local newspaper. After the study had gone under review, it was discovered that the doctor had falsified records and fixed the results. Despite the man completely making up the study, his sample size was only 12 children. That is way too small of a sample.

Unfortunately, the falsified study gained a lot of momentum. The number of immunizations plummeted to below 80% (we need at least 95% to ensure heard immunity.) To give you an example of how much that 15% changed, the number of MMR cases in Britain alone went from 59 to nearly 1,400 cases in just 10 years, resulting in the death of 2 children this year.

This sh*t should be gone! For all intents and purposes, these diseases were extinct for the past 50 years! Then Opera has some dumb on and we have kids dying from mothering smallpox.

Whatever you do, please immunize your kids.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 01:59 PM

That's not a reasoned argument, just an opinion (a conclusion based on something you admittedly only half understand).
No, that's the dude's opinion. And trust me, he understands.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 02:04 PM

Unfortunately, the falsified study gained a lot of momentum. The number of immunizations plummeted to below 80% (we need at least 95% to ensure heard immunity.) To give you an example of how much that 15% changed, the number of MMR cases in Britain alone went from 59 to nearly 1,400 cases in just 10 years, resulting in the death of 2 children this year.
The cause of that isn't people refusing to immunise. It's people refusing to use the combined MMR vaccine. Nobody has a problem with three individual jabs (M, M and R), but the government won't let anyone have them on the NHS. To this day, Tony Blair still hasn't answered the question as to whether his kids had the combined or separates.

Edit: Google ad up there goes to here. Capitalism to the rescue!

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 02:11 PM

And trust me
Trust you? Who are you? Who is he?

"Hey my friend is a nobel prize winning research scientist in the field of epidemiology. We had a long conversation, much of which was over my head, but from what I gather we can get all the antibodies we need to fight illness from our babies poop. So yeah, I know it sounds weird, but we should be eating baby poop."

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 02:14 PM

So what's the problem with the combined vaccination?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 02:20 PM

Trust you? Who are you? Who is he?

"Hey my friend is a nobel prize winning research scientist in the field of epidemiology. We had a long conversation, much of which was over my head, but from what I gather we can get all the antibodies we need to fight illness from our babies poop. So yeah, I know it sounds weird, but we should be eating baby poop."
OK, don't then. I don't care.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 02:20 PM

So what's the problem with the combined vaccination?
Nothing.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 02:25 PM

I thought as much, but you never know when you're going to vital information from the friend of someone on an internet forum.

Edit: oh dear...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 02:25 PM

Nothing.
That's what they said about Thalidomide. And British beef about three weeks before all the cows started falling over.

YouTube - Agriculture Minister and BSE (May 16 1990)

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 27, 2009, 02:38 PM

Nope. I'll live. Probably.

Forum Links
Forum Rules