Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Gov. Christie and Bridgegate

Gov. Christie and Bridgegate
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2014, 12:33 PM

Do you think anyone would be fired if ONLY Christie had found out? I think the whole deal would have been ignored. Its a shame the 91 yr old woman probably died because of the emergency vehicle stuck in traffic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2014, 02:16 PM

Aside from this being unbelievably petty, if not downright illogical (there's no reward and the slight that incited it doesn't seem even noteworthy) I find this exchange particularly loathsome:

“I feel badly about the kids.”
“I guess”

“They are the children of Buono voters.”

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2014, 02:33 PM

Petty is a kind word. I prefer dickish and perhaps more along the lines of total asshole doucheface prick phlegmwad. ha!

edit: I liked Christie for a while there. It's a shame how politics screws things up.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2014, 09:14 PM

There are times when I like what Gov. Christie has to say politically. And there are instances where he behaves like an asshole. He has called this episode orchestrated by members of his inner circle "abject stupidity" ... and rightly so. We shall see if his denials of involvement nor awareness holds up as the investigation unfolds.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Jan 13, 2014 at 07:34 PM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2014, 08:48 AM

I LOVE how the media is absolutely pouncing on this! Hey, I respect the guy for showing up in front of the media and answering every last question put to him. If our current President respected his office as much as this governor, we'd have one hell of a transparent Administration in office.

Meanwhile; Obama team puts Obama campaign donor in charge of investigating IRS targeting scandal.
ebuddy

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2014, 12:28 PM

I can buy that christie didn't know about it... explicitly. but it says a lot about the culture of his administration that they would inconvenience thousands of people for a petty grudge.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2014, 12:32 PM

Haha, took four responses and Obama's name already got thread-dropped. Not even the OP mentioned it!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I LOVE how the media is absolutely pouncing on this! Hey, I respect the guy for showing up in front of the media and answering every last question put to him. If our current President respected his office as much as this governor, we'd have one hell of a transparent Administration in office.

Meanwhile; Obama team puts Obama campaign donor in charge of investigating IRS targeting scandal.
That entirely deserves its own thread. In fact, one with all of Barry's Blunders (and outright fraud) would be awesome.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That entirely deserves its own thread. In fact, one with all of Barry's Blunders (and outright fraud) would be awesome.
We'd need a bigger database for the forums.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2014, 04:56 PM

It would appear the proverbial shoe is about to drop ....

The former Port Authority official who personally oversaw the lane closings on the George Washington Bridge in the scandal now swirling around Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey said on Friday that the governor knew about the lane closings when they were happening, and that he had the evidence to prove it.

In a letter released by his lawyer, the official, David Wildstein, a high school friend of Mr. Christie’s who was appointed with the governor’s blessing at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which controls the bridge, described the order to close the lanes as “the Christie administration’s order” and said “evidence exists as well tying Mr. Christie to having knowledge of the lane closures, during the period when the lanes were closed, contrary to what the governor stated publicly in a two-hour press conference” three weeks ago.

“Mr. Wildstein contests the accuracy of various statements that the governor made about him and he can prove the inaccuracy of some,” the letter added.

The letter marked the first signal that Mr. Christie may have been aware of the closings, something he repeatedly denied during a two-hour press conference earlier this month.

In early January, documents revealed that a deputy chief of staff to Mr. Christie, Bridget Anne Kelly, had sent an email to Mr. Wildstein saying, “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” the town at the New Jersey end of the bridge, where Mr. Christie’s aides had pursued but failed to receive an endorsement from the mayor.

Mr. Christie has steadfastly denied that he knew before this month that anyone in his administration was responsible for the lane closings, and his administration has tried to portray it as the actions of a rogue staff member.

The governor fired Ms. Kelly. Mr. Wildstein, the director of interstate capital projects at the Port Authority, resigned.
Christie Knew About Lane Closings, Ex-Port Authority Official Says | NYTimes.com

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2014, 05:08 PM

Politics (and actually, life) 101.

If you get caught really ****ing things up, make the next thing you do the "right thing".

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2014, 08:13 PM

He says he's got evidence that Christie knew of the lane closures (because of course we all knew about them), but I'm assuming it'd help his cause to produce that evidence.
ebuddy

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2014, 09:17 PM

Indeed. Assuming he has evidence, it's all going to come down to "timing".

A. Christie has already said he found out about the bridge lane closing when it happened.

B. Christie has also said he he only found out members of his administration were involved in Jan. 2014.

So now when this story says "the governor knew about the lane closings when they were happening, and that he had the evidence to prove it" ... what does that really mean? Given the wording it may only be "proof" of A. And if that's all it is then whoopty-do. He's only confirming what Christie has already acknowledge. But if this "proof" shows that Christie knew about A or B prior to when he said he did ... then this could just be poor wording on the reporter's part ... and it'll be a wrap on Christie's presidential ambitions. In any event, the plot thickens ....

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2014, 02:46 AM

Oooo, a bridge closure, still not sure why this is worth the nation's attention. It's the definition of a tempest in a teapot.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Oooo, a bridge closure, still not sure why this is worth the nation's attention.
Because Christie is seen as one of the GOP frontrunners for 2016, so this has a possibility of derailing that ambition.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2014, 09:28 PM

The best thing for Christie is perhaps the evidence will show that he simply surrounded himself with among the sloppiest, if not the dumbest devotees of a politician ever. Unfortunate for him because if it doesn't fade, it may become a vote-loser. The worst thing for Christie of course is that he's proven to have participated in the sloppiest or dumbest move against a political foe ever. And he abused his power and the civil apparatus to perpetuate it.

This would not fade and would be, IMO, an absolute deal-breaker for him.
ebuddy

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2014, 01:43 PM

The best thing for Christie is perhaps the evidence will show that he simply surrounded himself with among the sloppiest, if not the dumbest devotees of a politician ever. Unfortunate for him because if it doesn't fade, it may become a vote-loser. The worst thing for Christie of course is that he's proven to have participated in the sloppiest or dumbest move against a political foe ever. And he abused his power and the civil apparatus to perpetuate it.

This would not fade and would be, IMO, an absolute deal-breaker for him.
It'd be a deal breaker for my support of him (which is nebulous at this point anyways).

I've always thought Christie was too much an entertainer and less the leader our country needs. I would have had a hard time voting for him for the presidency even without scandal.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2014, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
It'd be a deal breaker for my support of him (which is nebulous at this point anyways).

I've always thought Christie was too much an entertainer and less the leader our country needs. I would have had a hard time voting for him for the presidency even without scandal.
Completely agree. There are some things Republicans need to take note of however, such as his ability to garner the support of minorities and women -- otherwise he's not the guy at the national level for me.
ebuddy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2014, 03:57 PM

The best thing for Christie is perhaps the evidence will show that he simply surrounded himself with among the sloppiest, if not the dumbest devotees of a politician ever.
Occam's razor says this didn't just happen by bad luck or chance.

Christie is as much of a career politician as all those other DC scumbags.

He is NOT the change this country needs.

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2014, 06:00 PM

Completely agree. There are some things Republicans need to take note of however, such as his ability to garner the support of minorities and women -- otherwise he's not the guy at the national level for me.
IOW, there'll be a Democrat in the White House the next time. There are certain members of the Republican Party who keep saying that the party has to be more inclusive, yet that objective is in direct contradiction with their constant war on women and the poor. They don't get it, and they can't, because they can't empathize with those classes as long as they see them as freeloaders and unChristian! They'll have another conference, and say the same thing over and over, just like they did with the Iraq war, and wonder why the shit they're throwing against the wall isn't sticking.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
IOW, there'll be a Democrat in the White House the next time. There are certain members of the Republican Party who keep saying that the party has to be more inclusive, yet that objective is in direct contradiction with their constant war on women and the poor. They don't get it, and they can't, because they can't empathize with those classes as long as they see them as freeloaders and unChristian! They'll have another conference, and say the same thing over and over, just like they did with the Iraq war, and wonder why the shit they're throwing against the wall isn't sticking.
Oh please. There is neither a war on women nor the poor. When it comes to charity and philanthropy for example, both secular and otherwise -- there is no match for conservatives. I'm tired of having to remind the left as they walk past the red buckets that compassion isn't sitting around wishing someone else's money at needs, do it yourself. Compassion for women isn't exploiting them as a bloc of single-issue voters unable to procure their own birth control. You'll see this war on women whenever a conservative woman not in goose-step with the feminist establishment dares to express herself over the maniacal laughter of old, white-haired Democratic men with cigars in their pants.

The shit called Iraq was regime-change thrown by Clinton and supported by all the shit-eating grins of the most prominent progressives in office at the time. Spare me your revisionist history, some of us were awake at the time.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Occam's razor says this didn't just happen by bad luck or chance.

Christie is as much of a career politician as all those other DC scumbags.

He is NOT the change this country needs.

-t
I agree.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules