Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Secret of Manafort

Secret of Manafort
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2018, 05:51 PM

Quick OP because the title finally came to me and I don't want to clog the witch-hunt thread with any revelations that come out of his trial.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...al-2018-761300
An accountant for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort admitted at Manafort's tax- and bank-fraud trial Friday that she filed tax returns she thought contained false information and that she may have committed a crime in doing so.

Accountant Cindy Laporta said she had a sense that what Manafort and aide Rick Gates told her about funds being transferred into their international political consulting business wasn't accurate.

"I prepared the tax returns and communicated with banks based on information that Mr. Gates and Mr. Manafort provided to me that I didn't believe," said Laporta, the first witness at the trial to testify under a grant of immunity.
Manafort's defense team has suggested that false statements on his tax returns were understandable oversights by a busy man. But prosecutors are working methodically to demolish that position through testimony showing a years-long pattern of deception on Manafort's part.

An accountant who helped prepare Manafort's taxes for almost 20 years, Philip Ayliff, testified Friday that he and his colleagues often directly asked Manafort and his top aide, Rick Gates, about possible foreign accounts and other unusual transactions but were never informed about a web of foreign entities prosecutors say Manafort controlled.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2018, 04:31 AM

I’m curious. The press is staying away, but has everyone at least heard all the shit from his daughter’s SMS dump?

I admit, I kinda hoped that was the secret.

Thorzdad
Aug 4, 2018, 10:47 AM

Manafort's defense team has suggested that false statements on his tax returns were understandable oversights by a busy man.
I'd be shocked if Manafort actually does his own taxes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 4, 2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’m curious. The press is staying away, but has everyone at least heard all the shit from his daughter’s SMS dump?

I admit, I kinda hoped that was the secret.
I'm pretty sure that was written about in 2016 during the campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if searching for my name and blood money brought up a post.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2018, 02:55 PM

Then the answer is no, because the relevant search terms would be “gangbang” and “cuck”.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 5, 2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Then the answer is no, because the relevant search terms would be “gangbang” and “cuck”.
Ah, that.

My guess is because it wasn't Ukraine/Russia related. Or because the content is so out there its hard to report in a worksafe manner. Though from the reactions I've heard to them, I'm a little surprised they weren't reported from a #metoo angle by lesser outlets because it didn't sound completely consensual. Also, not that surprising that Manafort is into weird shit considering his business partner, Stone is a swinger.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2018, 09:20 AM

I’d much rather party with Stone.

Thorzdad
Aug 14, 2018, 02:58 PM

The defense has rested, on the same day they began, without calling a single witness.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 14, 2018, 04:19 PM

That's normal.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 14, 2018, 05:37 PM

Manafort’s legal team elected not to call him as a witness in his own defense.
It's hard not to make inferences here. I'm no lawyer, but this just sounds bad.

Thorzdad
Aug 15, 2018, 08:22 AM

I dunno. I think that Manafort's team are probably of the opinion that there's no way the jury manages to agree and bring a guilty verdict.The judge's open-court antics probably didn't hurt them any in the jury's eyes, either. They probably ran the numbers and decided bringing Manafort up to testify could only hurt their case, so they roll the dice and assume the worst case will be a mistrial.

Forum Links
Forum Rules