Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.3 Available!

10.2.3 Available! (Page 3)
Atef's corpse
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Baghdad, chillin' with Chirac and Schr�der over cocktails with Saddam.
Dec 20, 2002, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Your being toung and cheek are you not?
You're being tongue-in-cheek.

Worry not, appeasement-loving infidels! Chirac & Schr�der defend the Butcher of Baghdad.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 01:01 AM

ATTENTION Anyone experiencing the "Missing Widget" problem:
http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11386

I have found the problem and explain it there.

Basically, it means that Theme makers HAVE to RECOMPILE their Themes to include Apple's newly added "MetalClose/Minimize/Zoom" widgets. Oops!

Apple REALLY doesn't want custom Themes. They NEVER update an Extras.rsrc file to add resources between point versions. They usually do it at the begining of a whole point. Like 10.1, 10.2, etc. Not 10.2.1 or 10.2.2 or 10.1.1, etc.

graveguy
Dec 20, 2002, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
You know what? It's BS. I've got an ATI RAGE Pro 128. iPhoto slideshows were smooth in 10.2.2. Under 10.2.3, there is an irritating and distracting flutter during a slide show in iPhoto as one photo transitions to the next.
Agreed...this sucks...I used to get beautiful, smooth transitions...now they're choppy, fast and there's a subtle flash...blech...I don't usually complain about a free update, but geesh! How about giving us an option to set the transition type...that way people with really slow video cards could set it to something basic and the rest of us could still enjoy our smooth transitions...

-GraveGuy

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by graveguy:
Agreed...this sucks...I used to get beautiful, smooth transitions...now they're choppy, fast and there's a subtle flash...blech...I don't usually complain about a free update, but geesh! How about giving us an option to set the transition type...that way people with really slow video cards could set it to something basic and the rest of us could still enjoy our smooth transitions...-GraveGuy
i just tried a slide show and it seems perfectly fine to me....i don't see any "choppy" transitions at all. (dual 800, 1.1gb ram)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2002, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
i just tried a slide show and it seems perfectly fine to me....i don't see any "choppy" transitions at all. (dual 800, 1.1gb ram)
you have a rage 128? no?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Atef's corpse:
You're being tongue-in-cheek.
I fixed my disasterous spelling/grammer post.... thanks Usama.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
you have a rage 128? no?
my 2nd monitor is running off a rage128 nexus 32mb card....seems fine...perhaps it's the 16mb (or less) cards that have the problem?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

off/lang
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
does the update fix the USB bug? i'd like to be able to listen to music without headphones again.
Check out the Changes Doc, it talks about Audio Enhancements including USB audio stuff...

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 20, 2002, 01:48 AM

Ok they finally added a Canadian dictionary, how do I get mail to use it?

"Hello, what have we here?

Panzer
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
Does anyone know, why do we want OpenGL 1.4? I'm not wild about the idea of my game framerates dropping by 50%.

This info is from Apple:

"
MacOS X 10.2.3 delivers OpenGL 1.4 and 13 new extensions.

* 13 New Extensions
GL ARB shadow ambient GL EXT s3tc texture compression
GL EXT shadow funcs GL EXT stencil two side
GL ARB fragment program GL ARB vertex blend
GL ARB window pos GL EXT multi draw arrays
GL NV light max exponent GL SGIS generate mipmap
GL Apple float pixels GL ATI point cull
GL ATI texture mirror once
"

I have more details but it seemed a little too long to post. But now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 02:00 AM

ORF (Norfolk??),

What does that all mean in english???
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

Panzer
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 02:15 AM

ORF (Norfolk??),

What does that all mean in english???
You got it man. I suppose a pilot would know that And I think I may have sent you a private message the other day...
I'm going to post a new thread with all the OpenGL info instead of tacking it onto this one. Anybody who is interested can check that one for all the details.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2002, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by rhogue islander:
Someone else needs to verify this, but on my DP1000 w/ Gf4ti, my fps rate in Q3 1.32 drops by half from 171 to 83.

That kinda suxors...
My frame rates are identical to the rates I was getting in X.2.2, at around 75 fps in "High Quality" mode on my 1 GHz TiBook with Radeon 9000, timedemoing the FOUR.DM_66 demo. Quake version 1.30.

75 fps ain't the greatest but I had thought this was par for the course for a TiBook. What are your settings?

By the way, although the terminal says we're running Radeon 8500 drivers (same as X.2.2), it's interesting that the Quake "Driver Info" says I'm running the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro OpenGL Engine. I don't remember what it said in X.2.2.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
All this talk about the brushed metal widgets is a waste of time.

I can't believe you guys haven't noticed the big change yet - they fixed keyboard navigation in the Open dialog boxes in Carbon!
Thank jebus. That was the one part of the OS that seemed like it was pb.
~BS

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 03:35 AM

I can connect to my site's ftp but don't see any files in the mounted server. At least it doesn't hang anymore but, hmm... what could it be? Gotta check my directory path.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 03:42 AM

Well, now I'm seeing my main ftp directory by connecting to ftp(colon)//site.com/home/sitefolder but there's a directory inside this that contains all of the html, image, etc files that through Dreamweaver or webbased ftp can be seen. But in the Finder, this folder (www) is just an alias. Any solutions?7

Ah! got it. I've gotta connect all the way down into the www directory to see all of the site files, just not the the parent directory which has my email info. Cool, fast!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 04:28 AM

Didn't mousing over the left most button only reveal the X before? Or did it always show you the X - and +?
~BS

philm
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:
Didn't mousing over the left most button only reveal the X before? Or did it always show you the X - and +?
~BS
It's always shown X-+ in the red, orange, green buttons.

Joost
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 08:32 AM

I fixed my disasterous spelling/grammer post.... thanks Usama.
Will you fix the follow-up, too?

He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 09:36 AM

Looking through what has been changed I found Electric-Fence, Liberty and MacScanner. Are these new? Does anyone know anything about them?

I have never noticed these files before. Maybe they hint to new things in the future.

Fdanna
Dec 20, 2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Ok they finally added a Canadian dictionary, how do I get mail to use it?
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a Canadian Dictionary and a British Dictionary?

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 10:11 AM

wheel-scrolling seems smoother in Chimera after updating to 10.2.3. Maybe it's just because of a new nightly build of Chimera or I'm imagining things, but it definitely seems smoother.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
My frame rates are identical to the rates I was getting in X.2.2, at around 75 fps in "High Quality" mode on my 1 GHz TiBook with Radeon 9000, timedemoing the FOUR.DM_66 demo. Quake version 1.30.

75 fps ain't the greatest but I had thought this was par for the course for a TiBook. What are your settings?

I run the game at 1024x768 high quality.

This morning I trashed my config (in the game directory AND in the users/you/application support/q3/baseq3 directories) and let quake build a new one for me.

I then restored my graphics settings and voila, most of my fps returned. Demo four now runs at 150 fps, so I'm only down 20 fps now, which I can live with.

I wish Nvidia would release mac driver updates with the frequency they release windows ones. That would be sweet.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 11:40 AM

By the way, although the terminal says we're running Radeon 8500 drivers (same as X.2.2), it's interesting that the Quake "Driver Info" says I'm running the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro OpenGL Engine. I don't remember what it said in X.2.2.
I never got a notification for your PM, but your reply is on the way.... I have a problem with my profile on MacNN where it will not let me keep my "Email Notification" box checked, I have to manually check it evertime I post, this PM thing me be related???

Anyway, thanks for explaining the Open GL stuff...
Apple user since 1981

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

I can't believe you guys haven't noticed the big change yet - they fixed keyboard navigation in the Open dialog boxes in Carbon!
Halle fukcing luja. About time.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Nope, I've tried that a million times...the "Utilities" folder icon is un-changable due to an Apple bug that needs to be fixed.
What are you talking about? I've been changing my Utilities folder icon since 10.0. Here's my Applications folder under 10.2.2:
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 02:33 PM

Anyone try out the following in 10.2.3 yet?

- Calculator - now instant in full mode (not minimized).

- Zoom (command-option-*) is now much smoother when moving the mouse.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 20, 2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Fdanna:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a Canadian Dictionary and a British Dictionary?
Good question. Must be something though as they finally added a Canadian one.

bborofka
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 03:25 PM

Has anyone noticed any speed improvements (2D or 3D) with newer iMacs or eMacs with Geforce2MX's?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by eVo:
Has anyone noticed any speed improvements (2D or 3D) with newer iMacs or eMacs with Geforce2MX's?
Users with Rage 128 cards notice speed improvements, and thats all I have heard about so far.

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
- Calculator - now instant in full mode (not minimized).
Not for me - still a lag.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

philm
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 03:59 PM

Canadian English is a bit of hybrid between American English and UK English. They have American-type words such as 'tire' and UK words such as 'centre' or 'colour'. They also play a version of 'football' where the 'foot' rarely comes into contact with the 'ball'. Bizarre!

World's biggest English speaking nation - India with 844M speakers (that's 40% of all the English speakers in the world).

Phil

xenu
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 04:54 PM

Every English definition is preceeded by the French one?
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 04:57 PM

Has anyone had iTunes pause on them? A couple times this morning I've had iTunes pause for about a second, then continue. Anyone else?
~BS

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
Has anyone had iTunes pause on them? A couple times this morning I've had iTunes pause for about a second, then continue. Anyone else?
~BS
yes.
usually when i start something into full screen mode.
not only will it stop, but when it starts back up it will be very staticy almost like i'm listening to a radio and driving out of the reception area. anyway
Overall.
I like 10.2.3

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 06:01 PM

There have been 3 security updates under 10.2 so far. Have these been rolled into the combo updates?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by alien:
There have been 3 security updates under 10.2 so far. Have these been rolled into the combo updates?
Yeah

-Owl

rytc
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by philm:

World's biggest English speaking nation - India with 844M speakers (that's 40% of all the English speakers in the world).

Phil
Yes but how many of these learnt English as a first language? English as a second language does not an English speaking nation make.....

cowerd
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 08:21 PM

Yes but how many of these learnt English as a first language? English as a second language does not an English speaking nation make.....
Every child learns english along with one of the hundreds of dialects/languages spoken. English is a common language, and most people speak it very well and are very happy to try it out on anyone who gives even the slightest hint of understanding english. If you can recall some history, the Brits did spend a few years there lounging about.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:

What are you talking about? I've been changing my Utilities folder icon since 10.0. Here's my Applications folder under 10.2.2:
No, they mean Separately. As in Copy and Paste. As in changing just the Utilities ison. It doesn't work. Not as in change the resources and make all folders different.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2002, 01:11 AM

Can one install the 59 MB package on a computer with already X.2.2 installed? My iBook is X.2.2 and it would save me from redownloading the 51 MB version.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 21, 2002, 01:38 AM

Can one install the 59 MB package on a computer with already X.2.2 installed? My iBook is X.2.2 and it would save me from redownloading the 51 MB version.
No, when you first see it in software update you have to choose "download to desktop" from the menues.

diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Emotionally Fragile Luke:

No, when you first see it in software update you have to choose "download to desktop" from the menues.
No, you can install the 59MB combo update on 10.2.2 - they just released the other one to save people downloading 8MB extra.

diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:

Wow, so retro!

diamondsw
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 03:20 AM

You know, if you really want to know what changed, download the package before installing it, and check "Show Files" on the "File" menu (it's only active after you accept the user agreement). So from looking at that, none of the iApps have been updated, nor has Finder.app - a shame. However, the rest of the update has been great for me so far!

Apple REALLY doesn't want custom Themes. They NEVER update an Extras.rsrc file to add resources between point versions. They usually do it at the begining of a whole point. Like 10.1, 10.2, etc. Not 10.2.1 or 10.2.2 or 10.1.1, etc.
Well, duh - this is why they've said from day one they don't want themes. They consider it a closed API that they can change whenever they want, however they want. They could vectorize it all tomorrow to support hi-res displays, and they'd be completely in the right (not that it wouldn't piss people off, but when has that stopped Apple?). Just like Menu Extras, they told us "hands off", and they meant it.

You know what? It's BS. I've got an ATI RAGE Pro 128. iPhoto slideshows were smooth in 10.2.2. Under 10.2.3, there is an irritating and distracting flutter during a slide show in iPhoto as one photo transitions to the next.
Well, I'm sorry you're having trouble, but on my old Pismo (Rage 128 Mobility) OpenGL on 10.2 would cut out completely from time to time. As in no hardware 3D at all. One FPS out of screen savers, and so forth. So if they fixed that (can't tell myself - I sold the Pismo), then I'm all for it.

Dec 21, 2002, 04:08 AM

So, I installed it, but now there's an empty AppleScript folder in my app directory. Yes, I know, don't move Apple installed apps, I usually put them back in their original place, but point being, what should go in this folder, a new Script Editor, and it is the worth the trouble? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 04:14 AM

The update does something to the Apple Script apps. You moved it, silly you. Now you're screwed. Don't know how to fix it aside from redownloading the update.

Don't move Apple apps. It has to be said.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2002, 06:53 AM

After install 10.2.3 it seems that Software Update behind a firewall is still
not working.

Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules