Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Still hot for the 17"?

Still hot for the 17"?
bamchum
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 08:04 AM

Check this picture. You know, manufacturing defects didn't suddenly go out of style with the TiBooks:

bamchum  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 08:07 AM

Think screen warping problems are limited to titanium cases? Guess again:

urrl5201
Jan 10, 2003, 08:27 AM

Holy moly! Where did you get that???

MickS
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 08:47 AM

I would guess that they are shots from MWSF.

I was initially hot for the 17" but once I saw how big it really was I've decided not to bother.

pete
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 08:49 AM

After buying first versions of the wallstreet, and powerbook G4s I'd never ever buy another powerbooks unless it's been revised at least once to work out the problems. The first wallstreets were way too hot, had video problems (stuttering video which eventually was fixed with a driver update), too sensitive rubber on the case etc. The powerbook G4s: battery disconnect,faulty inverter/LCD flicker, warping screens, paint etc.

My advice is to hold off for a few months and see the problems that arise. Contrary to what others say, this is not really a revision of the tibooks. they're totally redesigned....there WILL be problems.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 12:21 PM

Have you ever seen a dual USB iBook? All of the screens latch shut in that manner. At first I thought it was a defect, but I have yet to see one without that so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume there is an advantage to building them like that.

As for the second picture, that could be an optical illusion or defect of the photo itself. Why do I say this?

(1) Look at the bottom of the case too. It also appears to be slightly curved in the same direction. Do you really think the entire PowerBook is warpped in this manner? I think not...

(2) The first picture is probably of the same PB, right? I mean these photos were obviously taken by the same person, so it's likely they were shot of the same PB. There is no curve detectable in the first photo.

The truth is out there! Trust no one Mr. Jobs.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 02:47 PM

I chalk this up to poorly taken photographs with a camera lens that has significant barrel distortion -- a common problem with all but the most expensive zoom lenses at the wide angle end.

The poorly taken issue first: The top figure shows the computer at an angle to the camera rather than full frontal -- if you hold a ruler to the screen you will see the computer seems substantially thicker overall on the right than the left, and of course so does the gap between screen and base, and that is because of perspective.

Now for the barrel distortion: the lower photograph is more likely to be due to optical problems with the lens in the camera than it is to case warping. The bottom side of the computer, crossing the center of the image, appears straight; the top side of the computer, far enough away from the center of the image that barrel distortion becomes a factor, sure enough "warps" around the center of the image. An optical illusion, my friends. You will also notice with the top photograph that the backdrop (the back side of a studio display?), which is surely rectangular and not curved, appears curved at the top of the photograph.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 02:53 PM

Think about these PowerBooks little different ( I never thought I would actually use this slogan). Look at how large the surface of the screen is on the 17" PB and alos compare how thin it is. Now we all now how torque and forces work right? The thiner something is, or the bigger the moment arm is...the more deformation you get. The new MonsterBook is huge in my opinion. I have a Ti 800 and I that is quite flaxible too on the screen. I could so twist the screen, but I am not going to. I just have to be careful enough. Apple has to make some compromises here probably when designing these portables. We all want thin computers, so they give it to us...but they are fragile. Do not get me wrong, I did not say weak, all I said is that you have to be a little more careful with a portable computer than with your desktop at home.

There are usually flaws in mass manufacturing. Get a Mercedes, Audi, or BMW...they all have some small defects, problems, but in general they are much less noticable than on a car of less value.

t

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 02:57 PM

I forgot the name of the website that had these pictured initialy. But, I looked through them all the other day. ALL of the photos are seriously messed up. The camera they used to take these pictures is not worth the material it is made out of.

Note however, I'm not saying that the PowerBook will not warp, but these pictures ARE faulty and do not represent anything other than a crappy camera.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 03:01 PM

Can you say White Balence?

Also the first picture appears to have something between the screen and the computer just above the center of the Superdrive. hmmm.

bamchum  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 03:50 PM

I take some of the points about the photography (I'm not the photographer: I got them from this site).

On the other hand, here's a picture of a 12" PowerBook next to a TiBook.

And whether or not the machines in these pictures display manufacturing defects, my main point still stands, I believe. Namely, that it's a mistake to think that the new PBs will resolve all of the outstanding problems of the TiBooks without introducing new ones. They may well have manufacturing defects, poorly-fitted parts, loud fans and even warped screens. Especially as this is an entirely new design.

Just as some are advising (ex post facto) that one should never buy before MacWorld, I would advise that one should think long and hard before buying the first iteration of a powerbook.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 04:09 PM

Then again, you're taking a sample of ONE 17" Powerbook. Not very good statistically.

Edit: A Powerbook that's on public display no less.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Xtraz:
Then again, you're taking a sample of ONE 17" Powerbook. Not very good statistically.

Edit: A Powerbook that's on public display no less.
Yeah, who knows what someone did to that Powerbook, and how many people fooled around with that Powerbook, before the picture was taken. Let's get a few more reviews.

But it is still good advice to heed some of the warnings above.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by bamchum:

On the other hand, here's a picture of a 12" PowerBook next to a TiBook.
What is wrong with the 12" in that picture? Seems fine to me.

hippy3
Banned
Jan 10, 2003, 06:20 PM

is that a 1ghz powerbook....paint finish is looking goooood

Forum Links
Forum Rules