Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > F/T: 17" G4 PowerBook w/ 1gig RAM for 12" PB/900iBook + Extras/Cash

F/T: 17" G4 PowerBook w/ 1gig RAM for 12" PB/900iBook + Extras/Cash
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 10:07 AM

Hello everyone! First off, an offer is kind of in the works, and I have this posted elsewhere, so everyone interested please either PM me, post, or email me and I'll quickly respond to whether I will/will not.

I'm currently entertaining offers on trading my 17" G4 PowerBook (obtained direct from Apple.com on 4/3/03) with 1gig of certified Apple-installed RAM as an expensive BTO-option at the factory and the rest of the bells & whistles: 60gig HD/SuperDrive/FireWire 800, etc. I have every single peice of original boxing that came with it, and every manual, etc.

The machine is absolutely flawless in every aspect, cosmetically and functionally. It's had a very easy life, as it's only left my desk TWICE in it's life, and while it's been home I've always used my 23" HD Display, so even the pixels are fresh.

I've also got a $149 Brenthaven Shoulder Case Pro case and sleeve that I'll toss in, as well as installed Wildeepz to ensure the screen won't mark up the palm rest edges, and possibly a few other goodies. I've also already purchased the 3 years extended AppleCare for the machine ($349). I'll take pics of the machine at any angle at the customer's request.

I'm looking for a rarely used/new 12" G4 PowerBook *OR* possibly a 900Mhz iBook, both with fairly maxed out specs, though I'll entertain all offers with these machines. Cases and other goodies included will be much appreiciated and decrease the amount of cash I'm looking for to make up the differece in price.

I'm a fairly flexible guy, and have outstanding eBay feedback, so please feel free to shoot me any relative offers! For any users looking to upgrade, THIS machine is insane...thanks for looking, and feel free to ask any questions! PM me here, post here, or email to [email protected]!

( Last edited by AssassyN; Jun 6, 2003 at 09:09 AM. )
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

technocrat
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2003, 12:08 PM

What about a 15" 1ghz ti?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 12:30 PM

If you're the same guy who just emailed me, I've emailed you back, and if not, I'm PM'ing you.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2003, 03:21 PM

Of all people, I thought you would be the last person on the planet to dump the 17 inch Powerbook.

May I ask why? Surely I am not the only person wondering?

Chris
( Last edited by b3b0p; Jun 4, 2003 at 03:38 PM. )

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 03:42 PM

Yes man, I know...it's been a really tough decision, but here's what it boils down to:

With my new 17" PB, I've now had 2 computers at once in my home for the first time in my life, and I can't live without 2 computers running side-by-side anymore, not even in college. So when I enter college, I want 2 computers. PLUS, the smaller notebook will be much more portable going from class to class, and I want to use the leftover cash to get a tower, which is what I'll connect the 23" HD Display to.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 04:04 PM

Hey AssassyN

I can understand both the two computer thing and the desire for the 12" laptop (you know this, since you asked about the 12" ibook i'm selling). I'm in school now, and I did the same thing you want to do - my tower sits at home while my iBook travels with me. Very convenient if you have the means to have two computers.

So you are going to college huh? I checked your profile and I also see you are in NC - where are you going to college?

Uisce

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 04:10 PM

Yep, yep! LoL, judging by your location, I bet you don't want to know...as you're probably my arch rival! I'm guessing you're attending UNC-Chapel Hill? Well, *ducks for cover*, I'll be attending N.C. State University this fall...don't flame me, lol, I have lotsa friends going to UNC-Chapel Hill, but I have conviently located housing near NC State and I just adore their campus.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 04:21 PM

Naw, the whole UNC/State thing is more of a healthy, sports related rivalry. I have lots of friends at State, including a girlfriend. State is a cool school, I just liked Chapel Hill better (I'm a grad student now), although Stste does have an interesting architecture building (is that the one that is leaning?). Dook is the only school we really hate...

Steve Wozniak actually came by State last May, got to meet him and hear him speak, and have lunch with him. That was pretty cool.

Anyway, I got my original iBook to do what you want to do. As far as I am concernd, its the only way to go. I do all my "heavy lifting" on my tower, but a small laptop is great for taking to class, fitting on the little desks and in your bag. Plus, its durable.

Uisce

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 06:49 AM

Bump...this machine still needs a new home!!

I'm also entertaining offers on newly used TiBook as well, so please shoot any offers you may have to [email protected]
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 10:19 AM

It's on eBay now so the highest bidder takes it!

I'm gonna use the cash to buy another (smaller) Mac notebook (still debating) and the leftover to custom build a PC desktop...man it's gonna be sad to see this thing go!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mysterio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2003, 07:21 PM

Just curious what are the specs on the PC your putting together(if you don't know about newegg.com check them out). Man a new notebook, pc and G5, you must have some money. I'm currently juggling between getting one of the three. Good luck!
G4 1 Ghz
768 MB PC2100
Geforce4MX 64 MB
17-inch Widescreen Flat Panel
Sony DVD-RW DW-U10A
DSL

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 07:33 PM

Hi! Yep, newegg.com is a close friend of mine, lol.

And I'm putting together a Shuttle box (SN41G2, the black one), Athlon powered (no Intel!), I'm thinking a XP 2400+ CPU, 1gig of DDR RAM, DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, 6-in-1 media reader in place of the floppy, 80gig WD Special Edition HD w/ 8MB cache (picked that up tonight from Circuit City for $69 after rebates!! w00t!), and just a 128MB GeForce FX 5200 w/ DVI-out to push the 23" HD Display.

Those are my tentative specs for it...I just need a small (literally) PC to have in my dorm to run KazaaLite and a slew of other PC apps, while I LOVE OS X as a portable operating system. I adore WinXP, but on a notebook it's just like some kinda of curse...I can't have a notebook not running Mac OS X.

And you mentioned a "G5"...I wish!!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

nighttraitor
Jun 5, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
It's on eBay now so the highest bidder takes it!

I'm gonna use the cash to buy another (smaller) Mac notebook (still debating) and the leftover to custom build a PC desktop...man it's gonna be sad to see this thing go!
Man I am sooo tempted to whip out the credit card, but I the parent's wouldn't be to thrilled. Anyways, good luck. By the way, do you have plans on getting into ministry or anything? I see the 1Corinthians verse and was kinda curious.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by nighttraitor:
Man I am sooo tempted to whip out the credit card, but I the parent's wouldn't be to thrilled. Anyways, good luck. By the way, do you have plans on getting into ministry or anything? I see the 1Corinthians verse and was kinda curious.
Hehe, pull it on out! It's begging for a new owner!

And yes, I've been happily in the ministry for almost 3 years now. I play guitar in a Christian rock band (think Relient K, DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, Switchfoot, etc.) and we've been touring Eastern NC/SC for the past 2.5 years, and this summer we've got a week long tour lined up at the end of July starting in New Jersey and working back down to our homeland, North Carolina. I love it man, it's great to rock out for God.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

nighttraitor
Jun 5, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Hehe, pull it on out! It's begging for a new owner!

And yes, I've been happily in the ministry for almost 3 years now. I play guitar in a Christian rock band (think Relient K, DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, Switchfoot, etc.) and we've been touring Eastern NC/SC for the past 2.5 years, and this summer we've got a week long tour lined up at the end of July starting in New Jersey and working back down to our homeland, North Carolina. I love it man, it's great to rock out for God.
Thats awesome! I'll be praying for your guys' safety this summer. BTW, how is VP6 performance?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 12:28 AM

Thanks man, much appriciated!!

VPC6 runs common tasks like IE, Word, etc. smooth enough to be useable and such, however anything past Office is probably too intense for it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 09:07 AM

Such a sad, sad, sad day...she's leaving.

A very kind eBayer has been in constant contact with me about the machine, and this morning finally decided to take the plunge. Although the feedback rating is only 2, I would've never known it...great person to work with. So, I'm about to do a fresh install of OS X, pack it up, and send it flying Overnight for a Saturday morning delivery...now the choice is, what machine takes it place!

Thanks to everyone for their interest, questions, etc.! The 17" PB has been loads of fun, but now it's off into new hands.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 12:09 PM

What system takes it place? That is an easy one.

May I suggest a 12 inch Fully loaded Powerbook. With an education discount (at least our University discount) the price is $1809 with Max Ram, Superdrive(!), 60 GB Hard Drive, and Airport. Hook that bad little boy up to your 23 inch display and you have yourself one killer setup. An ultra portable computer for school and on the go and at home an awesome screen to make up for the 12 inch Powerbook screen.

That is what I would do without hesitation.

Chris

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 12:14 PM

Mind if I ask what you got for it?

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 01:41 PM

There's about a 99% chance I'm getting exactly what you suggested b3b0p, a 12" PowerBook. I've already ordered the parts to build my custom PC (I'm building a Athlon XP powered Shuttle box (SN41G2, in black) with a Athlon XP 2700+ CPU, 1gig of Crucial DDR RAM, 80gig Western Digital Special Edition 8MB cache HD, GeForce FX 5200 128MB w/ DVI-out, Samsung DVD-CD-RW Combo Drive (52x burn), and a 6-in-1 Media Card reader in place of a floppy...this machine will push my 23" HD Display) and they should arrive sometime next week. This little machine will be my "always-on" setup in my dorm room. (see pic for what the case looks like)

And so with the leftover cash (man PayPal takes a mean chunk of changes for transfer fees! Ack!) I'm gonna probably buy a 12" PowerBook (now if I can get a great deal, after June 25th if not, cause they'll probably be updated then). Of course I'll max the RAM and I plan on getting a Sleeve (I'm leaning towards the MacCase Sleeve, any other great sleeves out there?) and a bag (TimBuk2 for sure...custom colors!) and an extra battery, and I'll have an ultra-portable G4 powered machine that'll do precisely what I need it to do while on the go.

By the way, does ANYPLACE sell extra 12" PB batteries for under $129?

Sad thing is, I can't hook the 12" PB to my 23" HD Display; it's only got VGA-out, and I'm not paying $300 for some adapter.

And you can surely see what I got for it by actually checking the auction HERE (though eBay fees & PayPal transfer fees ate into that price way too much, but at least it was quick and I've got my cash already)

And so this morning after the person bought it (very professional for only a "2" feedback!) I've been going wild reinstalling OS X, updating everything in the Software Update for her, re-installing the included apps, bringing all the factory boxes down from the attic, arranging the AppleCare Warranty transfer, lol, just going crazy trying to make it to the Post Office by 2pm EST to ship it Overnight, but I made it!

But man I already miss the Mac!!!!! Not 10 minutes ago after getting home from shipping it, I wanted to check what movies were opening up tonight, so I grab my mouse and head for "Sherlock" in the Dock...NO Mac!!! AHHHH!!!! LoL, it's crazy how much you miss something once it's gone! This truly is a sad day, it was really tough leaving that Post Office...but my prized 17" PB will be in good hands, and my next 12" PB should treat me just as well. So...now that I'm back on Windows only for awhile, let me go to IMDB.com, click a few things, and 3 minutes from now I'll know what's playing tonight...ahh I need Sherlock!

5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

donutogre
Jun 6, 2003, 01:57 PM

boy it must be a sad day for you to see that puppy go...

but don't worry, i've got an AI 12 and its the bomb. its no 17, but when you couple it with that sweet sounding PC you're building, its gonna be a nice setup. that's similar to what i have, except my pc wasn't custom built.

you should definitly get the 60gig hard drive in your 12" if you can though, i think its best to use os X for music, because you simply can't beat itunes, and seeing as how you have 2 ipods, trust me, they work FAR better with itunes than windows. its just no comparison. so get that extra space so you have room for all your mp3s.
~nate

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 02:10 PM

I hear ya man...I'm definitely diggin' the 12" PB as the replacement.

And man, just reading your post I remember...I have to change my sig.!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 11:57 PM

Just an update for everyone...tonight I struck a deal w/ a fellow MacNN member, "macnnhelpme", who sold his 12" PowerBook to me!!! We landed on a deal we were both very happy with, and I'm stoked to have it coming! This is exactly what I need for college, something powerful & portable all at the same time.

As of the time of purchase, it's a bone stock 12" PowerBook w/ Combo Drive (as much of a bragging right the SuperDrive is, I simply never had the first plan of using my 17" PB's SuperDrive, and so I have no really need to burn an extra $200 on it), but I've already ordered a 512MB DIMM to max out the RAM, an AirPort Extreme Card (it was an Open-Box item from MacMall.com for only $66!! When I ordered mine, however, only 32 remained...), and extra 12" PB battery, a MacCase sleeve, a custom Black/Silver/Black Timbuk2 case, and since it's got the 40gig HD, and I saved so much, I went ahead and got the OWC Mercury (coolest looking to me) FireWire/USB 80gig External HD as well. Also, all of my PC parts will ship out Monday so hopefully that'll be built by next week sometime!

The only thing is, the guy I bought the 12" PB from hadta leave tonight on a week-long trip, so I'll hafta wait another week for it to ship, but that just gives all my accessories time to arrive.

I wanted to wait until the probable June 25th updates, but if I did, I'd have no cash leftover for all these accessories that I wanted, and the current 12" PB will do all the things I'll possibly need a true portable to do; the rest my desktop machine will handle.

So in about 2 weeks I'll be the proud owner of a 12" PB! So I sold the 17" PB, but I'm not leaving the Aluminum PowerBook family!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules