Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Chat about iChat AV (2.0) issues here

Chat about iChat AV (2.0) issues here
jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 04:38 PM

lets channel all voice/video discussions in one place.....
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

jfischetti  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 04:39 PM

my mic works but no one can hear me -- i am at work and they are at home.

It may be a firewall issue - any ideas

rsh
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 04:41 PM

I keep trying to start a one-way video chat between two computers on my network. I am logged in to two different AIM accounts.

When I initiate the chat, the sending computer gets a message that the user of the other computer is "busy in another conference" and the receiving computer, upon accepting the video chat invitation, gets the message "the sender declined."

Anyone else experience this. Workarounds?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2003, 04:47 PM

i was just in a wwdc chat room on ichat av, and had a voice chat with someone in there. worked nicely. i am impressed.

if only i had some mac friends :'( i would buy an iSight and get them to buy one too

jcarr
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 04:56 PM

Looks like FireWire only.

iChat AV does not recognize my Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, although QuickTime Broadcaster does. Strange....
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 05:01 PM

Video isn't supported on my iBook 500 according to iChat AV

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Night Tripper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by jcarr:
Looks like FireWire only.

iChat AV does not recognize my Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, although QuickTime Broadcaster does. Strange....
Interesting: my KritterCam USB works for videoconferencing if I have a Firewire camera connected at the same time, but not otherwise...

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Night Tripper:
Interesting: my KritterCam USB works for videoconferencing if I have a Firewire camera connected at the same time, but not otherwise...
I wouldn't be supprised if the firewire cam is the cause. I found iChat did begin detecting my USB webcam, and even though I'm sure it saw it (because the light on it turned on), it said no camera was connected. I bet it would work fine with USB webcams, but for whatever reason they made it so it wont work with the USB ones...

My guess: they want to make everybody buy an iSight...

Someone will probably make a hack that Apple will try to kill...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2003, 05:22 PM

So how much bandwidth does a video and audio stream eat up per minute?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ambush
Banned
Jun 23, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by rsh:
I keep trying to start a one-way video chat between two computers on my network. I am logged in to two different AIM accounts.

When I initiate the chat, the sending computer gets a message that the user of the other computer is "busy in another conference" and the receiving computer, upon accepting the video chat invitation, gets the message "the sender declined."

Anyone else experience this. Workarounds?
Same thing here. I'm pissed.

woudstock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 06:36 PM

Anyone get iChat AV to work with a DV cam? I got it to work with an iBot, a Pyro Webcam, and a small Firefly camera but I can't get it to work with my Sony DCR-VX2000 stead shot DV cam .

It sees the microphone on the Sony cam, but no video (in preferences it lets me choose the microphone but no sound comes out, says it can't find the any cameras)

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 06:47 PM

works fine with my canon dv elura 40mc. But I get the "busy in another conference" error whenever i try to connect to a computer on my local network...

grr...

neps
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 08:10 PM

bah! 100 Mhz too short on the processor speed. Got a Pismo 500 here. So I can't do video, only audio.

Look forward to someone hacking this.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 08:32 PM

Anyone else getting this bug:

When you have an away message up and someone IM's you you hear the new IM noise but no window pops up. I tried quiting and I got a dialog box saying you have unread messages yet it won't show the window.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by neps:
bah! 100 Mhz too short on the processor speed. Got a Pismo 500 here. So I can't do video, only audio.

Look forward to someone hacking this.
Same here.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
Video isn't supported on my iBook 500 according to iChat AV
Same here. Think it's because of the 8MB video card? You would think they would make it work for all iBooks because I see the college market as a huge taker on video chat.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 08:54 PM

It still doesn't support the MSN Messenger network.

Until it does, I can't use it. No one I know uses AIM. It's all MSN.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
So how much bandwidth does a video and audio stream eat up per minute?
Haven't tried video yet, but audio takes around 4.5KB/s both ways...

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 08:59 PM

Does iChat AV require special firewall ports to be open.

I tried to connect to my brother and it would always say, "blah blah does not respond" and it would do the same when he tried to connect to me. He is behind a univeristy firewall and I am behind a personal firewall.

Ideas?

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 09:21 PM

My mic works fine in all other OS X apps. In iChat AV when i connect to people I get no signal strength. I can only hear them. They can't here me.

Any ideas?

puddle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 10:14 PM

Does it support ICQ? If not, I'm going to have to stick to Proteus.

I don't videoconference anyway, I was just hoping for multi-service support.
Chris
First Mac - 12" Powerbook, 15GB iPod

rsh
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Same thing here. I'm pissed.

The prob, at least in my case, was that both accounts had the same user name (ex: "John Doe") even though they were logged in as different screen names.

I logged out, let my daughter log into her account on OS X, then cranked up iChatAV, and everything worked as advertised with a Canon DV camera.

So I guess it doesn't just look at screen names, it checks forthe First Name/Last Name fields within iChat.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
My mic works fine in all other OS X apps. In iChat AV when i connect to people I get no signal strength. I can only hear them. They can't here me.

Any ideas?
Same problem here. I have a G4/1.2GHz (Upgraded 500MHz Sawtooth) with an Apple mic.

rsh
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by jtbowden:

I tried to connect to my brother and it would always say, "blah blah does not respond" and it would do the same when he tried to connect to me. He is behind a univeristy firewall and I am behind a personal firewall.

Ideas?
Be sure to be logged into different user accounts within OS X. If both users have the same name, even if screenames are different, you get that error message.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
Same here. Think it's because of the 8MB video card? You would think they would make it work for all iBooks because I see the college market as a huge taker on video chat.
I think its a combination of that and lack of cpu horsepower?

rsh
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by woudstock:
Anyone get iChat AV to work with a DV cam?
Works for me with a Canon Optura Pi DV cam.

bzImage
Jun 23, 2003, 11:59 PM

Anyone get iChat AV to work with a DV cam? I got it to work with an iBot, a Pyro Webcam, and a small Firefly camera but I can't get it to work with my Sony DCR-VX2000 stead shot DV cam .

It sees the microphone on the Sony cam, but no video (in preferences it lets me choose the microphone but no sound comes out, says it can't find the any cameras)
Same thing here!! Sony DV Camera

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 12:33 AM

Why is it that folks with other AIM clients (mostly on Windows) and have voice chat with that software can't communicate with the new iChat? Or can they?

I'm pretty sure at least a few of my friends have that capability, but they don't show up in my buddy list as voice chat capable.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by beverson:
Why is it that folks with other AIM clients (mostly on Windows) and have voice chat with that software can't communicate with the new iChat? Or can they?

I'm pretty sure at least a few of my friends have that capability, but they don't show up in my buddy list as voice chat capable.
Wondering the same thing...I wonder if they have to initiate the contact on their end...mine are all asleep, I'll try it tomorrow.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 03:06 AM

Umm... hello:

interesting bug with the smiley pop-up.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 03:54 AM

Well, can't get my Quickcam Zoom to work - the light comes on, but the camera is not recognised, and it's presence even seems to mess up the built-in audio.

...but: I had a 1 way videoconference with a guy in Boston (I'm in the UK), and the quality was astounding. Zero lagg. Very very impressed. My g/f was totally blow away by it, and it takes a lot to get her excited about computers !

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2003, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by krove:
Umm... hello:

Do you or did you have iChat Enhancer installed? This happened to me, and removing iChat Enhancer cured it.

geekwagon
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 04:11 AM

I have to access AIM via a proxy server at work. I get disconnected from AIM at random intervals (usually around 15-30 minutes.) This doesn't cause much of a problem when I use the AIM client on the PC, as it just reconnects as soon as it loses the connection. I can't find a "reconnect on disconnect" option in iChat, though.

Anyone have any ideas?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 06:40 AM

Just for the record.. In iBooks the 8bm video ram is not an issue.. I have an iBook 600 which also has 8mb video ram.. And it worked fine. Well, I watched someone elses video, and it worked amazingly well (With audio both ways). Unfortunately, I only have a USB cam, so my friend could not see me..
Oh well, I ordered an iSight.. Apple will be pleased..
What DOES p!ss me off though, is according to the main iChat page.. Apple intends to charge for the final release of iChat AV! Only $30.. But still.. Seems a bit rough, especially as I am buying an iSight cam.. Should at least be free to people who purchased the cam.. no?
iChat AV will of course come with 10.3 though.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 07:31 AM

Can someone tell me is I got iChat AV who else can I have video conference with (other than AIM or .Mac users)? Can I video conference with NetMeeting users or else?

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 08:40 AM

FIX for MICROPHONES !!!

Folks, go under Preferences/Video and be sure to select a Microphone source. Seems that it will only automatically detect an Apple built-in microphone ---- all others must be selected manually.

jfischetti  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 08:50 AM

i dont see anything re: to mics in Prefs>video

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 09:25 AM

iChat AV broke OSX support for my Panasonic PV-DV400 MiniDV Firewire camcorder. It worked great before (it's supported), but now i can't use the camera in iMovie or iChat AV.

My friend has a Sony Digital-8 camera and we did a one-way video conference. The video was quite nice, and was using about 24KB/sec (I have cable, he has DSL).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 09:47 AM

I'm getting the same thing with my Canon Optura Pi DV camera. Are you using an iBook? I have an iBook G3/800 that I have been trying it on and I even tried it on an iBook G3/900 14" and neither would show the video even though they both fall well into iChat's video requirements. The same camera worked just fine in iChat on any G4 systems I plugged it into.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 09:50 AM

this is kinda off the current discusion, but does any one know if it supports animated gifs now for buddy icons? I havn't tried one yet. And the voice chat works INCREADABLE for me, especial where I am stuck on dial up for the summer (up at summer camp for vacation on island ) for peps with mic problems, make sure its set correctly in yer system prefs, and then set again in yer ichat prefs.

jfischetti  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 10:00 AM

Nevermind about not seeing the Mic Settings in Prefs>video. i forgot that i was home and using a iMac with a built-in mic.

When I got to work where i was having the problem with a G4 Tower, i saw the pref. now all i have to do is test....

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
this is kinda off the current discusion, but does any one know if it supports animated gifs now for buddy icons? I havn't tried one yet. And the voice chat works INCREADABLE for me, especial where I am stuck on dial up for the summer (up at summer camp for vacation on island ) for peps with mic problems, make sure its set correctly in yer system prefs, and then set again in yer ichat prefs.
If you put an animated GIF for your icon pic it only shows the first frame of the GIF.

Back to the iBook/DV camera issue check this out:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93206

Oh well, I was looking at getting an iSight anyway.

ambush
Banned
Jun 24, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by krove:
Umm... hello:

This happened to me w/o iChatEnhancer

but I know what's the issue. They autoreleased the good NSColor [and didn't retain it] and it's replaced by a random one in the memory
( Last edited by ambush; Jun 24, 2003 at 10:50 AM. )

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by jtbowden:

Ideas?
it does require special ports; if you have a timeout error, that's what it's to do with.

I'm trying to work out the ports now

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
it does require special ports; if you have a timeout error, that's what it's to do with.

I'm trying to work out the ports now
To use iChat AV behind a firewall, make sure your network administrator has opened UDP port 5060.

When video conferencing, iChat AV uses four UDP ports in this range: 16384 to 16403.

ambush
Banned
Jun 24, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by rsh:
The prob, at least in my case, was that both accounts had the same user name (ex: "John Doe") even though they were logged in as different screen names.

I logged out, let my daughter log into her account on OS X, then cranked up iChatAV, and everything worked as advertised with a Canon DV camera.

So I guess it doesn't just look at screen names, it checks forthe First Name/Last Name fields within iChat.
Nope. I guess it"s another problem.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 11:05 AM

All I can say is wow. I plugged in a cam-corder that a friend just happened to bring over and blamo! I am video conferencing with absolutely no configuration whatsoever.

Video conferencing has been the next big thing for at leaset 15 years now. Perhaps its finally arrived. Apple has made it so that all you have to do is plug in the camera... no settings to adjust at all.

This is no small feat, plug and play video conferencing that actually works. (well at least for me)

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2003, 12:42 PM

I get the 'so and so is busy in another conference' thing.

I have no firewall.

I have a G4 533 Digital Audio.

anyone know what the cause of this is?
ice

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2003, 04:28 PM

Weird.. Last night, a friend contated me, and I saw his video perfectly.. And I was very impressed as it worked 1st time and the quality was so high.. Today, another friend contacted me, and iChat AV kept crashing/quiting everytime she contacted me! Seems it is quiting for a lot of people I know too.. One of them, even got herself an iSight camera today from an Apple store in the US. Yet it's been crashing for both of us.. Grrr!
Oh well, Here's hoping for some rapid and effective updates.. Cos when it does work, It is amazing!
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 05:37 PM

has anybody succesfully had an audio and/or video chat when _both_ parties were behind a NAT router? even when forwarding 5060 & the 16K ports on both NAT routers I get "No response from ..." errors.

any help greatly appreciated

both use different AIM accounts, different Mac's, different locations and try to connect through the net. also, text messaging works great and audio works on the local net.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Forum Links
Forum Rules