Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell Sale iPods - Received Them?

Dell Sale iPods - Received Them? (Page 4)
Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2003, 11:02 PM

The first day of the sale.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2003, 06:08 PM

What day was that?

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by bamchum:
What day was that?
May 15th

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2003, 07:03 PM

FWIW, I ordered mine May 19 and they are telling me it will be shipped on June 30th. It's pretty ridiculous.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2003, 07:11 PM

I ordered May 15th as well, but still no sign of it.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2003, 09:47 PM

Woooooo!!!! My 30 GB shipped 6/17/2003 2:45:08 PM!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2003, 03:43 PM

I just got off the phone with Dell (the number in the "Confirm or be cancelled email was the one to try, I discovered, not the main Dell customer service line). The woman was pleasant but said that they were hearing July 14th as the date when they would be getting the next shipment from their distributer. Frankly I am not sure I believe this, especially since people here seem to be getting their orders fulfilled little by little. She sounded kind of like she wanted me to cancel. I don't know what to do -- I need it within the next two weeks. But I don't feel like going out and paying full price for one now that I have waited more than a month. Damn Dell!

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 09:36 PM

stupid dell shipped it to the wrong address. god i hate these morons. i changed the shipping address 2 weeks ago, but they still managed to ship it to the wrong place. if it gets lost i may have to assassinate michael.

Sander
Jun 19, 2003, 08:51 AM

Hang in there people. You are getting a great deal on it and like all things in life there are trade-offs.

Cheers,

Sander.
Have a nice day!

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 12:00 PM

Has anyone who ordered a 30GB on May 19 gotten it yet?

If so, what did you do/say?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Sander:
Hang in there people. You are getting a great deal on it and like all things in life there are trade-offs.
As I said earlier, I had no problem with having to wait a couple of weeks if I was getting a good deal. But this situation is just not acceptable. Not only has it been close to 5 weeks for me, but I have no idea when it will ship. Is it worth waiting 2 months to save some money? 3? Dell has kept moving the ship date further and further into the future. As I said, it seems stupid to have waited 5 weeks AND then have to go pay full price, but if I don't do that then I may end up waiting much longer.

Not only that, Dell doesn't seem to be making any pretense of fulfilling the orders in the order they were made, so people who ordered after me have already received theirs.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 02:19 PM

We have reviewed your order. Although we had
anticipated being able to ship
your order sooner,

we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will
not be able to ship this
order and

any associated orders until on or before
7/9/2003.

If you do not wish to wait, you may cancel your
order and receive a prompt
refund.

Please be aware that unless you tell us that you
want us to continue with
the order despite the delay,

your order will be automatically canceled on
06/23/03.

To give your consent to continue your order,
please contact Dell at
877-868-3355 or

email us at [email protected].

Please include your customer number or order
number with any
correspondence.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay
may cause you.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 03:50 PM

Yeah even though I already got most of mine, 2 are still yet to ship and they sent me the same 7/9/2003 date. I knew there was a reason I hated dell.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 03:54 PM

Ok, just how many did you order? I have a feeling that people like you are the reason the rest of us are still waiting.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2003, 03:22 PM

Well after reading an email on Macintouch.com saying that someone else had gotten a discount to compensate for the delay in shipping their ipod, I decided to call myself. It took nearly half a hour of finding my way through dell's labyrinthine telephone menu system, but I finally got to someone who could help me, and they offered my a $25 discount. Not great, but better than nothing I guess. I was angry at first, because it seemed like the guy on Macintouch had gotten $50 off, but it turns out that was for two ipods. I asked them if they couldn't do any better, or if they could upgrade the shipping, etc, but no dice... Well, with the ebates discount, my ipod is now costing $371, which isn't too bad I guess. Now if they will just ship the damn thing before Apple brings out new models...

spacecadet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2003, 09:38 PM

I too ordered a 15 gb ipod on 5/15 and also last week got the 3rd delay to 7/9. Much to my elation, however, i discovered that it had shipped this past thursday. Alas, i called today to find out where the package was, and it got lost!! It seems it never made it to UPS. Just my luck! So now Dell put in a new order for me, and who knows how long i'll wait now. it seems that i am just not meant to get it. at least they upgraded to next day, and gave me a $25 credit.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 08:10 PM

Just called Dell. They certainly are not offering me any $25 rebates. The 30GB iPod was ordered on 5/19. It initially said it would ship on 6/3. Then this got pushed back to 6/30 (!). The woman I just spoke with told me that it now looks like it won't ship until 7/15.

This is utterly ridiculous. I get the feeling that either they are deliberately dragging their feet in a war of attrition because they are losing money on each one they sold or Apple is punishing them for undercutting every other retailer's price.

But I'm not giving in and, on my next phone call to them, I am going to scream bloody murder. They are responsible for setting their prices and they also have a responsibility to give accurate information about when delivery can be carried out.

Anyone got a direct number for customer relations? Their voice mail system is just about the worst ever.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2003, 08:48 PM

I'd just try calling again and be nice, explain the situation and ask if they could compensate you for the very long delay. It took me almost half an hour to find the proper person to talk to. Their phone system sucks!

By the way, since I need to have it within the next two weeks, I decided to order another ipod at full price from Outpost.com and then sell the Dell iPod to a friend when it actually shows up. I'll lose maybe a tiny bit of money, but the $25 discount helps alleviate that. The outpost iPod shipped about 5 hours after I ordered!!! Dell's iPod is 6 weeks and counting...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2003, 11:25 AM

Well, as luck would have it, Dell shipped my ipod just after I received the Outpost one. But they didn't send me any kind of shipping notice, despite the fact that I specifically signed up to be notified when it sold. I had to find out by looking at my online credit card statement. And they also didn't give me the extra $25 off that they had promised either... I had to call them again and supposedly they will credit my card for it. I'm not impressed.

But the iPod is cool. I like the touch buttons much better than I thought I would. I'm just a little concerned about the battery life compared to the old model. It does seem significantly shorter.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 02:15 PM

I just got my sixth the other day. Waiting on the last one still.

Forum Links
Forum Rules