Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Things Panther Fixed Thread

The Things Panther Fixed Thread
xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 11:36 AM

With all the various reports of stuff that Panther has broken for people, I thought I'd report on some little things that Panther fixed for me.

Number one on my "utter annoyance scale" is the fixing of using a PC Card compact flash card reader in my 17" powerbook. In every version of OS X, inserting this card would cause a complete system lockup every OTHER time you used it. Being a somewhat serious digital photographer who spends his hardware budget on lenses and stuff, and not wanting to purchase more peripherals when what I had should work (and did under OS 9 for years), this was frustrating. In Panther, this is completely cured and works as it should.

Secondly, at work I plug my powerbook in to a monitor/keyboard/firewire drive. It peeved me to no end that unless my firewire drive was plugged in when the machine was off (which of course, with the ease of using Sleep, never happened), the drive would spin down, and then take that extra time to spin back up. This happened many times a day and was just annoying. Panther has cured this one as well.

Little things like that make it worth the money to upgrade. Along with all the other fantastic features of course. (Expos� owns me.)

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 12:01 PM

Panther has finally fixed the bug that prevented ftpchroot from working.

Now users listed in the file /etc/ftpchroot will only be able to access their home folder via ftp.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 12:46 PM

Now my "ignore trackpad when mouse is present" works!!! No longer have to be so careful not to touch the trackpad!
Mary

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2003, 01:05 PM

* "Utilities" folder icon can be changed.

* Mail.app Junk filter is much better than before.

* As far as I am concerned, they fixed the Finder (much better!)...

* Safari has fixed some Web/Java issues for me...

Many, many more...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 02:39 PM

That lingering "positive balance" in my checkbook. Just got it, installing tonight.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 05:11 PM

I've been hoping for this since 10.1 was released. It's regarding the functionality of "Login Items" (in the System Preferences app).

In previous OS X's, when I checked the option to "hide" apps at login, they would show up for a split second and then hide. Now, if I choose to "hide" apps at login, they startup without any visual activity except the Dock icon!

beautiful- now I can use that feature.

**also** now there is an option in Mail to send "Windows friendly attachments".
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by mikemako:
I've been hoping for this since 10.1 was released. It's regarding the functionality of "Login Items" (in the System Preferences app).

In previous OS X's, when I checked the option to "hide" apps at login, they would show up for a split second and then hide. Now, if I choose to "hide" apps at login, they startup without any visual activity except the Dock icon!

beautiful- now I can use that feature.
Nice, I didn't know that....very cool!

Thx.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2003, 05:22 PM

They fixed hdid's remote disk image mounter, and consequently disk:// URL's.

disk://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg <- this works in Panther, didn't in Jaguar.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gif32
Nov 3, 2003, 06:25 PM

Preview now displays photos in sequential order.

In Jaguar, when you selected multiple photos in 2 of the 3 finder views, then double clicked, they would show up in the preview drawer in random order (very annoying when trying to do a quick "slide-show" of a few photos). I can't stand the way iPhoto organizes files, so the Finder/Preview combo was my only option short of firing up Graphic Converter.

Now, no matter what view you are in (icons, list, columns, etc), Preview shows your files in alphanumeric order.

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 06:55 PM

closing multiple tabs with command-w in Safari would occasionally accidentally close the entire window in Jag. In pather this bug seems to be fixed.

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 06:59 PM

Moving a bunch of files from one directory to another in the finder doesn't freak-out the finder anymore.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 07:34 PM

I experienced a huge gain in battery life in my PowerBook G4 12" rev. A. From 2:30 in my lucky days using Jaguar, to 3:00 easily and usually 3:30 or more using Panther (using Airport, reduced CPU).

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 07:47 PM

* Cocoa sliders no longer jump to the left one pixel when they are at the far right and clicked. (Audio balance, etc)

* Typing Japanese etc in Terminal now uses your chosen text color, instead of black. Was pretty hard to see on a black background

* Universal access is now disabled in full screen applications that capture the display. Prevents flickering.

* There is no longer a grey pixel saved into your screenshot at the point you clicked on when using window screenshot mode.

Many other Jaguar bugs remain unfixed.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2003, 08:48 PM

Internet sharing via Airport stays on until you turn it off (even lasts restarts, log outs)...

I always hated having to reset that up each and every restart....

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 08:57 PM

Somehow the 10.2.8 updater made my HW clock (RTC) conflict with the software. So, every time I booted, the system clock would reset to 0:00 Jan 1, 1970, but only after hanging for about a minute while it waits for the RTC to respond to the kernel.

the second 10.2.8 didn't fix that, but 10.3, thankfully, did.

I think that was also related to some system hangs on shutdown/reboot that have also disappeared since going to Panther.

Good Panther
Bad 10.2.8

(this is on a 12" PB rev A, BTW)
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

mindwaves
Nov 3, 2003, 09:03 PM

it FINALLY remebers my window preferences, which is something 10, 10.1, 10.2 never could!!!!!

Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 09:51 PM

There is an option in the finder to always column view, and it works!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2003, 09:57 PM

Now, when I save preferences for printing (like "Greyscale" to save color ink), it actually works!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Johannesburg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
* "Utilities" folder icon can be changed.
Thanks for pointing this out. I've been wanting to add a custom Utilities folder icon for ages. I didn't think to check with this upgrade.

One little fix I'm happy to see is being returned to the application which was previously frontmost when you launch another app and then quit it. Prevously, if I was surfing in IE and then launched Entourage to check my mail, when I quit Entourage I ended up in the Finder not IE. Now I go right back to IE.

Footy
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 10:10 PM

Something I noticed today. Not that it was "broke" in Jaguar, maybe I didn't have it setup correctly.
If I print more than one page with my i850 printer the printer now prints from the back page forward so that the stack is in order when it's done.

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by fhoubi:
Moving a bunch of files from one directory to another in the finder doesn't freak-out the finder anymore.
..unless the view option "show item info" is checked. Then the Finder will completely crash and relaunch itself!
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 12:21 AM

The new finder with the left nav is a godsend in finder windows and open and save dialogs. In the open dialoge box I can see my latest files by date - like the old super bomerang. I can now see all my project folders in one window. I don't even need multiple windows open - one window is enough. Unbelieveable how much time it saved me already.

I was getting sick of those lines on windows and other parts of the OS. The new appearance is clean. Even makes all the applications seem new.

Printing to my new HP inkjet was horribly slow. Panther made it print 2x faster at if not more.

Love F9 of expos� - helps me remember some of the things I didn't get to finish when I have to jump on another thing.

iChat seems to have fixed the volume degeneration bug.

Man is Preview fast. I still have to use Acrobat. But if I have to print an illustrator or Acrobat file, i send it to Preview instead. It prints much faster than any of those apps.

dole
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by Footy:

If I print more than one page with my i850 printer the printer now prints from the back page forward so that the stack is in order when it's done.
I noticed that the other day when I was printing a bunch of pages for a project, that it would print the last page then work its way to the front. I thought this was a bug and still did until you mentioned that the stack is in order when it is finished.

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 12:58 AM

I like the fact that you can trigger a aqua flavored spatial finder in which you can have only one window open at a time by pressing the oblong "reveal" gumdrop on the left hand side of each window. It's almost like having 2 separate finders available. Confusing at first maybe, but very useful for me.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by barbarian:
...by pressing the oblong "reveal" gumdrop on the left hand side of each window.
Uh, the other left

BKMaggert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 03:43 AM

I can now change a custom folder icon. Before, once a folder was given a custom icon, I could never give it a different one.
Barry
www.LP.org

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2003, 07:52 AM

The dock now has unlimited hierarchical menu depth...

xMetal  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 10:56 AM

oh, forgot one.

In the open and save dialogs you can actually click an existing file and it will put that name into the save dialog.

Default folder had this in OS 9 and I missed it alot. I resave things all the time (websites and junk) so this saves me a lot of typing.

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 11:53 AM

In the open and save dialogs you can actually click an existing file and it will put that name into the save dialog.
At last, again! Yepp this is great. BTW Cleveland, "Flats" area, it is always 8 years ago since the last time I was there... big fun .
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 01:04 PM

In Jaguar, ever tried right clicking near the bottom of the [edit] desktop?[/edit]

Yeah, ugly, wasn't it?

They fixed that, finally.
( Last edited by fiddler; Nov 4, 2003 at 03:14 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by BKMaggert:
I can now change a custom folder icon. Before, once a folder was given a custom icon, I could never give it a different one.
Correction: It would change after logout/login or Finder restart.

But it's fixed now, true.

-s*

Thor
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 02:07 PM

Mail.app...

Being able to see the replies that I've sent to e-mails by clicking on the "replied-to" icon!!!

xMetal  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by fhoubi:
At last, again! Yepp this is great. BTW Cleveland, "Flats" area, it is always 8 years ago since the last time I was there... big fun .
Well that's more than I've been to the Flats, and I drive through downtown everyday.

To get back on topic, I was really happy to see this change. Such a little thing, but so damned obvious....

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by gif32:
Preview now displays photos in sequential order.

In Jaguar, when you selected multiple photos in 2 of the 3 finder views, then double clicked, they would show up in the preview drawer in random order (very annoying when trying to do a quick "slide-show" of a few photos). I can't stand the way iPhoto organizes files, so the Finder/Preview combo was my only option short of firing up Graphic Converter.

Now, no matter what view you are in (icons, list, columns, etc), Preview shows your files in alphanumeric order.
bugged me too
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 08:41 PM

"Show Classic status in Menu Bar" button in Classic Pref Pane. Totally replaces a buggy shareware app I've been using. Start & stop Classic from the menubar, as well as access to Classic Apple Menu items.

Cool!

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

graffix
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 11:24 PM

Panther fixed an annoying bug I was experiencing that after being awakened from sleep, I'd lose my 'sticky' mouseclicks... the only way to get sticky clicks back was to logout/login.
I'm not sure if it was due to the Intellipoint driver or to OSX but it now works like it should.

I also say (like others have pointed out) that I'm really stoked that Preview now displays image names in order in its drawer... that was a truly annoying bug.
First there was man, then there was Macintosh

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 12:20 AM

This one is useful, but its implimented a little weird/annoying way. It does it with a sing click (instead of a double click), so I very often do it mistakenly (like clicking just to verify i am saving in the right column), and the only way to get back the original file name is to cancel the save dialog and do it all over again.

Originally posted by xMetal:
oh, forgot one.

Default folder had this in OS 9 and I missed it alot. I resave things all the time (websites and junk) so this saves me a lot of typing.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
That lingering "positive balance" in my checkbook. Just got it, installing tonight.

CV
lol

Thor
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 07:21 AM

This one is useful, but its implimented a little weird/annoying way. It does it with a sing click (instead of a double click), so I very often do it mistakenly (like clicking just to verify i am saving in the right column), and the only way to get back the original file name is to cancel the save dialog and do it all over again.
Click back into the file name field and hit cmd-z.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 10:00 AM

Don't forget about the animated sheets in Panther. Even when they are animating (sliding out of a window title bar) the shadow stays under it. In Jaguar, the shadow would disappear until the animated sheet stopped.

Oh by the way, if you haven't noticed yet, sheets slide out a little different than Jaguar. Nice touch.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 09:58 AM

After less than a day of use, these are the ones that have immediately sprung to the fore:

Menus are fast to appear now, even long lists in Dock menus.

Calculator finally has brackets.

Finder Toolbar now behaves properly (command-clicking the right hand widget cycles through the various icon/label/text views).

Delete in Mail (of messages) is finally the same as the Finder (command-delete, not just delete).

mikerally
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 11:52 AM

They done some work on the USB Mass Storage drivers in Panther.

Accessing Windows Formatted (FAT) Floppy disks (via a USB Floppy drive), Zip disks (via a USB Zip drive), and even USB Keyrings would be incredibly slow, particulary when writing data to them.

They used to write at a speed of about 250kbytes-500kbytes a minute.

Yet in Mac OS 9 they would read and write at a resonably normal speed.

Floppy disk access is back to normal now, reading and writing at the typically normal speeds now, I can write an entire disk (1.4MB) in about a minute. And of more important interest, I can take Mac OS formatted floppy/zip disks and reformat them as MS-DOS (FAT) disks - I haven't been able to do that since Mac OS 9.0.4.

The USB keyring at good speed, although the Zip drive is still slow, but much much more bearable.

I like how Jaguar and Panther give floppy disks a proper physical representation for the icon (just like the HD). I feel they should do the same to Zip disks also.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 09:07 PM

Widgets in force quit window are now graphite when the graphite theme is used. Wasn't this also a glitch in the About This Mac... window in 10.2?

CV

Forum Links
Forum Rules