Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple replacement policy?

Apple replacement policy?
bamchum
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 02:55 PM

If Apple offers to replace my machine, do they generally insist that the old machine be given to them immediately, even if there's a 2-3 week delay in getting the new one?

machem
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 05:41 PM

I just sent back my old machine. What they require depends on many things, I think. I'm an academic, and my U paid for my PowerBook, so I think I was allowed some leeway. I was able to request the new machine, order it, recieve all the mailing labels (box too if I needed it), and wait for the new machine before I sent the old one back. They gave me 30 days to send the old one back once the new one was received (30 days til they get the old one back, actually).

I ended up keeping the old one a week, and that was mostly because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Generally, I think they wouldn't require the old one back before you receive the new one. I could be wrong, however, but I suspect if you pressed them, you would be able to wait.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

zachs
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 05:47 PM

When they replaced my 400 MHz TiBook with a 1 GHz one, they sent me the FedEx labels, and then I had 30 days for them to receive it.

Since the replacement is based on what computer you're returning, they need to receive it first so they can find the closest match.

When you send your old one to them, it's shipped by FedEx ground, so it takes 1 - 1.5 weeks. But they send it back by air overnight.

machem
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 06:17 PM

Maybe it would help to specify what I went through. This was to replace a once-repaired spotty 15" 1.25GHz SD PB.

1) Called Apple to institute a new repair/replacement. They offered to replace it.

2) Ordered the build of the new machine.
Apple sent me FedEx PRP label with a RMA number.

3) New machine built and shipped (two weeks from 2)) When it was recieved a few days later, the clock starts ticking, and I have 30 days for Apple to receive the old one.

4) Six days later, I ship the old machine back using the original box and the PRP label. It's only going 25 miles, but I'll bet it goes by way of SFO or Memphis or....

I didn't have to ask them to ship the new one first, though I was prepared to demand it. Worked out really well for me.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

ghyuji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by bamchum:
If Apple offers to replace my machine, do they generally insist that the old machine be given to them immediately, even if there's a 2-3 week delay in getting the new one?
You can be screwed if you accept delivery of an item that is functioning properly but physically damaged nonetheless. Always have the delivery guy remain until you've verified that there's no obvious physical damage either to the package or it's contents. If there is, you must REFUSE delivery and have the guy write down what you both saw and give you a copy. This way the manufacturer will have little choice but to ship you a replacement. You cannot be held responsible for anything whose delivery was successfully refused. (Of course you can always refuse delivery even if there was nothing wrong. If you do this repeatedly, the company will simply refund your money and decline to do further business with you)

Forum Links
Forum Rules