Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Print to PDF and email

Print to PDF and email
pvonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 11:48 AM

I'd like to email pdf files on-the-fly (using Panther on pb G4). When viewing some content (e.g. a web page), I can invoke print and then Print to PDF. When the print-to-pdf dialog opens, I can choose a folder and set a file name. Doing so, I then have to open Mail, drag or access the pdf file as an attachment and then email this file.

Is there a way of Print to PDF but designate Mail as the destination directly?

Thanks
- Pierre
--------------------
PB G4 1.33 GHz, 1 GB ram, OSX 10.3

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 12:12 PM

Yes. This is easy. Open Mac help and type "pdf workflow" in the searchbox. Your answer is the top choice. Detailed instructions are provided.

Chris

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 06:45 PM

Hey, cool trick.

1) Open your home folder, then open your Library folder (~/library)
2) If a folder named "PDF Services" doesn't exist, create a new folder and give it this name (no quotes, of course). If one already exists, go on to step 3.
3) Open (in a new window) your "Applications" folder, and Option-Command-Drag & Drop your Mail application (to create an alias) on to the (new) "PDF Services" folder.

From now on, when you go to "Print..." from any application, you'll see a PDF icon (with an arrowhead) at the bottom of the Print dialog, just to the left of the "Fax" button. Click on this icon and choose Mail from the list. This will generate the PDF and open a new mail message window with the PDF automatically attached.

I used to save PDFs to the desktop and drag them to the Mail icon in the dock, but this saves a few steps. Nifty. Learn somethin' new everyday!

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 02:09 AM

If you have Acrobat 6, you can save as a PDF and have the preferences automatically open the PDF file. From there go to file > email PDF. The name of the PDF is automatically put as the subject. For graphic design it's a nice time saver from InDesign or Quark.

Forum Links
Forum Rules