Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power Adapter broken cable, how to open it ?

Power Adapter broken cable, how to open it ?
bzImage
May 14, 2004, 12:45 AM

The power adapter of my ibook has a broken wire (from the square adapter to the plug), i can see the broken wire (very close to the adapter itsef), in fact if i twist the cable it works fine, but if a real pain in the neck to find the sweet spot where it turns on.

I want to open the charger, cut the cable and solder it again.

I know that most of you will tell me that just trow it away and buy a new one, but im really poor, besides that, Apple mexico its charging 250 dollars + taxes for one new.

The only problem its the cable, i know how to solder and i think that i can do this little repair myself. (my ibook its a used ibook, not under warranty or apple care).

Does anyone has any pointer on how to "safely" open the AC power adaptor and put it together again ?

I just need to cut the cable , remove the old one and solder it again (it will be a little more shorter, but its not a problem as long as it works).

Help a poor mexican student who loves his ibook and dont have $$ to buy a new charger.

Thanks..

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 12:44 AM

The AC adapters are not built to be fixable. They are built to be disposable. Therefore, there is no "safe" opening of the AC adapter. I'm not even certain how many wires there are in the cable. if it's just the center wire and a shield, you could easily splice it back together.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

bzImage  (op)
May 16, 2004, 12:52 AM

I was able to take it apart (break it, because as you said, it is not mean to be opened), cut the cable, solder it again, and glue the power adapter again.

It works right again, looks a little ugly but is better than nothing.

Thanks..

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2004, 03:01 AM

Also, check on ebay for PowerBook adapters. IIRC, they are 65w instead of 45w. More numbers must be better right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules