Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Normal Temperature Readings

Normal Temperature Readings
Thread Tools
pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 17, 2004, 04:36 PM
 
Can anyone direct me to a resource that gives the average temperatures a Powerbook should be running at for a variety of applications?

My 15.2 Powerbook is running at temperatures of around 145 F for just having explorer and ichat open, sitting on an icurve podium in a non-hot room. Doesn't seem right. Does anyone know why the temperature for such minimal processor usage is so high?

thanks.
     
7racer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 17, 2004, 04:45 PM
 
thermograph x has the average readings for powerbooks
     
rag on a muffin
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cabin john, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 17, 2004, 07:45 PM
 
my powerbook reads really hot too. only ichat and safari open. no idea why
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)
     
pippiwong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 17, 2004, 11:40 PM
 
yeah, i don't know. according to other people's posts on temperature, "normal" usage (ie explorer) shouldn't make the temperature hotter than 120 degree F max.

the heat freaks me out a bit. i can't even place the "laptop" on my lap as it's simply too hot.

the only thing i've done recently of significance to my computer is is adding a gig of generic ram...
     
MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2004, 10:36 AM
 
Hello.

I've been running ThermographX on my PB and have noticed that the average temp is around 120 F. My fan kicks in when the temp reaches 145 F.

I used to own an iBook G4 and when comparing the overall temps between the two, the PB stays alot cooler. The aluminum case is acting as a radiator to dissipate the heat. My max temp on my ibook was 169 F, while my max temp on my PB is 147 F.

ThermographX can be found at:

http://www.kezer.net/thermographx.html
I gotta have more cowbell.
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2004, 11:52 AM
 
Originally posted by MRTrauffer:
Hello.

I've been running ThermographX on my PB and have noticed that the average temp is around 120 F. My fan kicks in when the temp reaches 145 F.

I used to own an iBook G4 and when comparing the overall temps between the two, the PB stays alot cooler. The aluminum case is acting as a radiator to dissipate the heat. My max temp on my ibook was 169 F, while my max temp on my PB is 147 F.

ThermographX can be found at:

http://www.kezer.net/thermographx.html
169 Degrees F? That is hot. So far the Max on my rev B PB is about 145. haven't gotten it hotter than that. Now I have a cooling pad for it. My max never reaches above 135. Idle it sits about 109-114
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Bronx, NY 10471
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2004, 02:57 PM
 
I think I know why your powerbook is running so hot. Check this out, when your powerbook starts to get that hot, open up the activity monitor, and look at the CPU resources for iChat. If it's above 70% or so, then iChat is pegging your CPU. This happened to me, whenever I would up a conversation with a buddy that had an animated icon. Once I switched all my animated icon buddies to a static gif, the problem stopped occuring.

Sincerely,
Mel
     
rag on a muffin
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cabin john, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2004, 09:17 PM
 
Originally posted by melman101:
I think I know why your powerbook is running so hot. Check this out, when your powerbook starts to get that hot, open up the activity monitor, and look at the CPU resources for iChat. If it's above 70% or so, then iChat is pegging your CPU. This happened to me, whenever I would up a conversation with a buddy that had an animated icon. Once I switched all my animated icon buddies to a static gif, the problem stopped occuring.

Sincerely,
Mel
how do you change it to static icons?

i noticed os x handles gifs extremely badly. go into the reply window, and view the similies and look at your activity monitor

safari---------------------78% cpu
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)
     
pippiwong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 18, 2004, 09:31 PM
 
In activity monitor, my CPU is fluctuating at around 50-80% idle yet my temperature is at around 145 degree F right now. Safari is open with two windows, and Ichat is open as well, but i'm having to chat sessions with anyone. no animated icons. is there something wrong with this computer? it scares me that my computer is this hot.
     
melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Bronx, NY 10471
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2004, 09:17 AM
 
I don't have my mac on me right now, but I believe if you right click on the buddy icon, and hit get info, or something. Then there is an option to always use this buddy icon and u click that and throw in a static picture
     
Mike656
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Bethesda, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2004, 02:10 PM
 
Originally posted by pippiwong:
In activity monitor, my CPU is fluctuating at around 50-80% idle yet my temperature is at around 145 degree F right now. Safari is open with two windows, and Ichat is open as well, but i'm having to chat sessions with anyone. no animated icons. is there something wrong with this computer? it scares me that my computer is this hot.
I find that Ichat will take virtually all of my CPU even after talking to someone with animated icons, even hours later, the only way for me to fix it is to restart the app. Ichat needs some serious work IMO as does Safari when it comes to CPU and memory management.
     
melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Bronx, NY 10471
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2004, 09:08 PM
 
Mike656: I agree. Once you open an animated icon conversation the only way it releases the CPU if you quit. I wish apple would fix this bug already. Been already forever. When they had the ichat beta, i submitted feedback. Must have got lost ;-)
     
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2004, 09:44 PM
 
I have one of the new 12" PB's.

I am running the ThermographX app all the time.

My normal running temp is 115 to 135 degrees (depending on CPU).

Once the finder went nuts and ran the CPU at 100% for 30 minutes before I noticed it (was in the other room of my house). The temp was at 149.5 degrees solid.

At the moment, I have the following open:

Finder
Safari
Quicktime (idle)
Terminal
MSN Messenger
Preview
Stattoo
Activity Monitor

Temp is 121.1 degrees
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2004, 12:53 PM
 
Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
I have one of the new 12" PB's.

I am running the ThermographX app all the time.

My normal running temp is 115 to 135 degrees (depending on CPU).

Once the finder went nuts and ran the CPU at 100% for 30 minutes before I noticed it (was in the other room of my house). The temp was at 149.5 degrees solid.

At the moment, I have the following open:

Finder
Safari
Quicktime (idle)
Terminal
MSN Messenger
Preview
Stattoo
Activity Monitor

Temp is 121.1 degrees
I have these Apps open right now

Finder
Safari
iChat
Mail.App
KDX
Frogblast
Launchbar
XCharge

Temp running 116.6 Degrees F or 47.8 Degrees C

I also noticed that typing makes the temp go up a little.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
d.fine
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on 650 cc's
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 24, 2004, 08:57 AM
 
15" Alu PB 1,25 GHz @ 59,8C or 140F with :

iTunes
Safari
Mail
MSN Messenger
Temperature Monitor

Goes all the way up to 63C or 145F while typing this reply

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.
     
dvdnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 24, 2004, 10:19 AM
 
Wow, I had to see this for myself and while typing this reply my CPU usage went up to 100% (using MenuMeters) and CPU temp jumped from 42.9C up to 50.6C and still climbing.

Now that is something that will need to be looked into, this animated gif thing. Wowsers!!! And yes, even typing this, there is a delay as if I was connected to an international server via 14.4k modem.

Eek, up to 53.6C now.

Steve
     
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 17, 2004, 01:07 PM
 
Originally posted by dvdnet:
Wow, I had to see this for myself and while typing this reply my CPU usage went up to 100% (using MenuMeters) and CPU temp jumped from 42.9C up to 50.6C and still climbing.

Now that is something that will need to be looked into, this animated gif thing. Wowsers!!! And yes, even typing this, there is a delay as if I was connected to an international server via 14.4k modem.

Eek, up to 53.6C now.

Steve
I've noticed that too I figured it was because I have 256 megs of Ram
     
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 3, 2004, 11:18 PM
 
anyone find that if their powerbook is running pretty hot and they put it to sleep, it actually shuts itself off? I've had this happen 3 times so far. I am thinking it might be some kind of fail-safe mechanism.

Today when it happened it was REALLY hot when I went to turn it back on after I noticed it shut off instead of going to sleep. It would not turn on for about 5 minutes. Again, seems like maybe some kind of fail-safe to keep from booting up too hot components. After I got booted back up, I downloaded and checked the temps with Temperature Monitor and all seemed normal except the graphics processor die, which at the time, even after 5 minutes of cooling was still sizzling at nearly 60C. Now it is back down to 47-48C. Had me worried for a bit there though.
     
Ryan1524
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada GTA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 4, 2004, 01:54 AM
 
Finder
Safari
Camino
Mail
Proteus
iCal
iTunes
Preview
Terminal
Activity Monitor
mlMac
Launchbar
Temp monitor and Textedit

Running dual display with power adapter


55'C




it's usually around 47-48 when running on battery.
40-ish when i just wake it from sleep.
63-ish when doing intensive work (such as yesterday when i tried selected my entire apps folder and double clicked. boy that was fun.)
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Aug 4, 2004 at 02:04 AM. )
Ryan
     
kafoochy
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 4, 2004, 02:03 AM
 
My 1.5Ghz 15" is currently at 145˚F with these apps running:
-Firefox (three tabs open)
-iChat
-MS Word 2004
-iTunes (playing AAC song)
-Photoshop CS (one 30mb file open)
-Quicksilver
-Mail
-Stickies
-Safari (no windows)
-Sailing Clicker
-ThermographX

It usually isn't this warm however. 120-130 is "normal" although I almost always have iTunes playing, Stickies, Quicksilver, iChat and FireFox open, so "normal" is relative. My max is 147˚F while the max with my 1.25Ghz was 145˚F.

Originally posted by madmacgames:
the graphics processor die, which at the time, even after 5 minutes of cooling was still sizzling at nearly 60C. Now it is back down to 47-48C. Had me worried for a bit there though.
How did you check the temp of the graphics processor? I downloaded an app to check the memory usage and I use ThermographX to check CPU temp, but that doesn't give the GPU.
     
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 4, 2004, 10:55 AM
 
Originally posted by kafoochy:
How did you check the temp of the graphics processor? I downloaded an app to check the memory usage and I use ThermographX to check CPU temp, but that doesn't give the GPU.
Temperature Monitor gives the temp of the Battery, CPU topside, GPU die, and Hard drive bottomside.
     
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mil Wau Kee
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 4, 2004, 05:44 PM
 
The temps people post here are they the CPU of from what?
     
Ryan1524
Senior User
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada GTA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 4, 2004, 05:51 PM
 
the ones i posted are of "Processor/Controller Bottomside" according to Temperature Monitor.
Ryan
     
DL_AMG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SoCal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 5, 2004, 12:09 AM
 
I'm also using Temperature Monitor. My TiBook 1G had never go above 120F since I acquired it almost a month ago. Average is around 104-110F.
On battery, 1st fan won't start around 98F and 2nd fan will kick in around 115F.
On A/C, 1st fan will kick in even at 94F and 2nd fan will kick in at 98F!!! Very weird.
TiBook 15" G4 1Ghz SuperDrive 60G 768Mb
Sony Vaio 14.1" P3 1Ghz ComboDrive 20G 512Mb
C32 AMG - V6SC 349hp/332lb-ft, 0-60mph 4.7sec
     
pacificmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 22, 2005, 05:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by madmacgames
anyone find that if their powerbook is running pretty hot and they put it to sleep, it actually shuts itself off? I've had this happen 3 times so far. I am thinking it might be some kind of fail-safe mechanism.

Today when it happened it was REALLY hot when I went to turn it back on after I noticed it shut off instead of going to sleep. It would not turn on for about 5 minutes. Again, seems like maybe some kind of fail-safe to keep from booting up too hot components. After I got booted back up, I downloaded and checked the temps with Temperature Monitor and all seemed normal except the graphics processor die, which at the time, even after 5 minutes of cooling was still sizzling at nearly 60�C. Now it is back down to 47-48�C. Had me worried for a bit there though.
That happened to me about a month and a half ago. When I attempted to power it back up it took a few minutes like it did with you. When it did power back up the hard drive made a sound like a coffee grinder. I reset some stuff and it booted up properly. Since then, however, it has been getting pretty hot and iTunes which I have running almost constantly freezes up during song play for at least a few seconds up to a couple minutes. I dunno, I'm perplexed and so is Apple Support. Maybe hardware related?
     
Travis Keller
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2005, 02:43 AM
 
Remember, the temperture readings are From the internal components and not from the case its self.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,