Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't get VPC to work with multiple users in Panther

Can't get VPC to work with multiple users in Panther
7racer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2004, 01:04 AM

I am setting up my old titanium to give to my sister for her and her husband to use.

I installed programs in the admin (sisters) user without a problem. I can see the programs in the second users virtual computer without a problem. That is Quicken, microsoft Office.

However when I try to open Virtual PC (which I installed under admin) under the second user name it trys to install the program again saying the windows OS isn't found.

I assume that the one of the folders isn't being shared to the second user??

I thought that when you installed programs under the admin that they were available to all users?

Anyone know what I am doing wrong or if there is a fix??

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 07:06 AM

The application might be in a place accessible by all users, but when you install VPC with Windows it creates the main drive in Home/Documents/Virtual PC List (inside a package with the name of your PC). Move the drive out of the package to a place that the user can access (like the 'Shared' folder) and set VPC's prefs to use that file.

7racer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Jacke:
The application might be in a place accessible by all users, but when you install VPC with Windows it creates the main drive in Home/Documents/Virtual PC List (inside a package with the name of your PC). Move the drive out of the package to a place that the user can access (like the 'Shared' folder) and set VPC's prefs to use that file.
Thanks. That got me closer to it working, however it says that:
"The Primary drive image cannot bbe written to. The image file maybe locked. The drive has been mounted read-only. Most operating systems cannot boot with a read only primary drive."

I did change the permissions in the Virtual PC folder. The list folder seems to vary with the user.

Any other ideas? Should I try installing another copy of virtual PC on the second users virtual machine?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 23, 2004, 09:40 PM

VPC is not designed to share a common drive image among multiple users. I ran into this problem when version 6.0 came out (version 5.x didn't have this problem). The image is owned by the user that created it. You will need to have a unique image for each user. When I reported the problem to Connectix at the time, they had no intention of changing it.

If you're really set on using a single image, you can change the permissions on the image. However, you will have to do this every time a different user uses it.
Vandelay Industries

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
If you're really set on using a single image, you can change the permissions on the image. However, you will have to do this every time a different user uses it.
Why not just assign it to the Staff group and through that give everyone read and write permission? Won't that work?

Chris

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 23, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Why not just assign it to the Staff group and through that give everyone read and write permission? Won't that work?

Chris
VPC resets the permissions every time it accesses the image so that only the user currently using the image has r/w permissions.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules