Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MTU Settings for airport extreme base station?

MTU Settings for airport extreme base station?
southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2004, 11:23 AM

OK, I have searched here and Apple's support forums with no luck.

I just switched my DSL router to an Airport Extreme with an Airport Express located on the far side of my house to take advantage of WDS networking. It works great but my connection to the internet is giving me a problem. I usually have to click a link and cancel two or three times to get it to work. Not all pages do this but quite a few do. From dealing with this at various office locations as well as my home I know it is because the MTU needs to be set to 1492 for DSL.

Here is where I am stumped. Neather Airport basestation has any provision for setting the MTU that I could find. Am I missing something? Any router I have ever used in the past have always had this so I found it completely strange that the Aiport didn't. I know on the compter I can set this under the ethernet port settings but that doesn't help using wireless to connect. Again, every other router I have ever had always had this ability but this one doesn't.

Actually i found it strange to get it setup with a PPOE based DSL carrier that provides a static IP. It seems to be determined to not give the ability to enter a static IP over PPOE. I did get it to work but it took some playing and going into the modem settings and making a change there.

Ether way kinda strange for an expensive product to not offer full abilities as the cheaper competitors. I do like the ability to get the confguration for any Airport router I have from one application and that WDS was simple to setup and work flawlessly. Just need to put some of the common features in there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules