Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does 12" Powerbook not come with Software restore CDs?

Does 12" Powerbook not come with Software restore CDs?
ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 01:21 AM

Just got a new powerbook and dropped it. Hard drive seems to be toast. Can't seem to locate a software restore CD to fix the problem.

ibook_steve
Feb 25, 2005, 06:11 AM

All machines come with software restore disks. If yours didn't, contact Apple. How could you drop a brand new Powerbook?

Steve

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2005, 08:01 AM

what do you mean "hard drive seems toast"?

If the machine booted fine before you dropped it, and now it doesn't, no software on this planet will be able to do anything.

That's kind of like hoping that a car wash will help when your engine won't start up after a frontal crash.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by ryarber:
Just got a new powerbook and dropped it. Hard drive seems to be toast. Can't seem to locate a software restore CD to fix the problem.
I almost spilled my coffee in mine. Any glass with liquid does no longer comes within a few feet of my PB.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 10:43 AM

iskin.com

Great got preventing liquid and dirt from getting in.

ryarber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
All machines come with software restore disks. If yours didn't, contact Apple. How could you drop a brand new Powerbook?

Steve
I mean that it doesn't boot any more. It comes to the apple screen with the whirley thingy, and it won't go any further. Like it is trying to repair a damaged disk. I was going to try to do a zero all data reformat and then reinstall everything. My understanding is that if the surface of the disc is scratched, a zero all data reformat will allow you to exclude the bad blocks and continue to use the drive.

The PB was sitting on the table and someone got their foot tangled in the power cord and flung it across the room. It was an accident. Stuff happens. It had only been out of the box for a few hours.
( Last edited by ryarber; Feb 25, 2005 at 02:42 PM. )

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by ryarber:
My understanding is that if the surface of the disc is scratched, a zero all data reformat will allow you to exclude the bad blocks and continue to use the drive.

The PB was sitting on the table and someone got their foot tangled in the power cord and flung it across the room. It was an accident. Stuff happens. It had only been out of the box for a few hours.
That sucks majorly!

All PBs should have restore discs. It should be a gray DVD.

ryarber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2005, 10:16 AM

Well, the zero all data reformat worked to salvage the drive and everything seems to be working fine now. The disks were stuck to the bottom of the box and turned face down so that we couldn't see them. Chalk it up to a tragic experience that turned out pretty OK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules